Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 17 2011, 06:54 PM   #3391
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Beat Palace away on Saturday, or Coventry at home and that's pretty much it I think. Can't see any of the bottom three pulling in 10+ more points than us in the final 7/8 games after that.

Sh1te season again though either way. Need some major rebuilding in the summer or we're fcuked next season. This will just have been a stay of execution unless we adequately replace the likes of Hulse and Commons. When they were here we literally could beat anyone in the league on our day (like Forest and Newcastle last season). Now, without them, there are just teams that we simply haven't a hope of beating.
Old March 17 2011, 09:28 PM   #3392
Starkers
Admiral

We beat Swansea without them?

I might be being naive, but I do suspect that Glick and co might have been taught a powerful lesson this season, Nigel's been quite restrained but his comment about Sharp and "that's what you pay £1 million for a striker for" linked with the protests might encourage GSE to get the investors to put a bit more money in...and with Sav off the books that's 3/4 players' wages right there!

Or am I hopelessly naive?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 02:09 AM   #3393
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Despite their position, Swansea aren't one of the top 3/4 sides in the division IMO - that would be QPR, Norwich, Cardiff and (I hate to say it) Forest. Might even have to add Leeds and Leicester to the list as well as I can't see us beating either of them anytime soon either.

Glick's been left high and dry at Derby by the owners. A thankless task of trying to run the club with no real support from either Appleby or our owners. The owners currently put in an amount every season to balance the seasonal budget back to £0 (as we're still running at a loss, somehow!), but beyond that there's no real investment, which is why Nigel's had to wheel-and-deal so much.

Personally, I think they'll be gone in the summer. If they've been taught anything this season it's that they're on a hiding to nothing. They know they've made a bad investment, around a sport that they didn't really understand, and Gasby's prepared to bail them out at cost plus a modest profit. They'd be mad to turn down that offer now.

Savage off the wagebill, probably Varney in the summer as well, and most likely Bywater too - that along with Commons' and Hulse's wages going, that's a huge reduction in the player wagebill. The worry is that Glick's said that we still need to get it down lower, which means that he's probably counting on Sav's, Varney's and Bywater's wages going as being key in achieving that, hence we probably won't use that additional space in the wage budget anyway.

Note the comments before the Swansea game when Glick said that there'd be heavy investment over the summer - When put to Nigel, he simply laughed it off. He doesn't believe it, and neither do I. Plus, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll probably look to use the season ticket money to underpin acquisitions over the summer - only people will want to see the investment before they go for the season tickets.

The sooner they're gone the better IMO.
Old March 18 2011, 02:10 AM   #3394
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Despite their position, Swansea aren't one of the top 3/4 sides in the division IMO - that would be QPR, Norwich, Cardiff and (I hate to say it) Forest. Might even have to add Leeds and Leicester to the list as well as I can't see us beating either of them anytime soon either.

Glick's been left high and dry at Derby by the owners. A thankless task of trying to run the club with no real support from either Appleby or our owners. The owners currently put in an amount every season to balance the seasonal budget back to £0 (as we're still running at a loss, somehow!), but beyond that there's no real investment, which is why Nigel's had to wheel-and-deal so much.

Personally, I think they'll be gone in the summer. If they've been taught anything this season it's that they're on a hiding to nothing. They know they've made a bad investment, around a sport that they didn't really understand, and Gasby's prepared to bail them out at cost plus a modest profit. They'd be mad to turn down that offer now.

Savage off the wagebill, probably Varney in the summer as well, and most likely Bywater too - that along with Commons' and Hulse's wages going, that's a huge reduction in the player wagebill. The worry is that Glick's said that we still need to get it down lower, which means that he's probably counting on Sav's, Varney's and Bywater's wages going as being key in achieving that, hence we probably won't use that additional space in the wage budget.

Note the comments before the Swansea game when Glick said that there'd be heavy investment over the summer - When put to Nigel, he simply laughed it off. He doesn't believe, and neither do I. Plus, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll probably look to use the season ticket money to underpin acquisitions over the summer - only people will want to see the investment before they go for the season tickets.

The sooner they're gone the better IMO.
Old March 18 2011, 08:59 PM   #3395
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Can't see us winning at Millwall tomorrow. A draw will have to do. I'll settle for a Forest win to help reel the Jacks in though!

In fact, from this weekend on we're going to see a lot of the top 8 play each other pretty often. We only have to play QPR and they'll be up by then. Still has to be favourable, and we still have to avoid defeat at the likes of Sheffield and our bogey ground, Deepdale, but I'm clinging onto my belief again!

No Chopra though. That's bad!
Old March 21 2011, 12:59 AM   #3396
Jax
Admiral

Fabio makes Terry Captain and kicks Rio to the curb without even a phone call, classy.

Micah Richards still can't get in the squad but Kyle Walker can. If Micah is too raw for the squad how is Walker not? Also Lescott over Smalling on form...GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK

Jarvis in there is a nice surprise, he's playing decent football at an average club. The real question is does Fabio still think Wilshire is a holding player or will he finally drop Lampard.

Andy Carroll in the squad NOT MATCH FIT & NO GOALS.
Old March 22 2011, 12:49 AM   #3397
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

Nice to see Liverpool get back to winning ways against Sunderland yesterday even if the penalty was a bit questionable but great goal by Suarez he's doing well for us and Carroll was unlucky not to score as well.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2011, 12:59 PM   #3398
Jax
Admiral

Liverpool just need a bit of flair on wings and a left back would help too . Liverpool problem is not the first 11 its the other 14 players, Kenny needs to do some Harry Redknapp wheeling & dealing in the summer.

Next season I expect to see a stronger Big Six with...

Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City & Liverpool all going for the title instead of only 2 of them.
Old March 22 2011, 07:47 PM   #3399
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Apparently Kenny's turned his eyes towards Ashley Young, so sounds like he's trying to address the wings problem.

Platini re-elected unopposed as the head of Uefa. Great.......
Old March 22 2011, 08:26 PM   #3400
Jax
Admiral

He would be a good buy but I doubt Liverpool have the money + it seems Fergie wants him and enquired about him in january with some rumors saying he had a bid turned down.
Old March 24 2011, 02:55 AM   #3401
Jax
Admiral

Fabio looks set to drop Lampard and play Wilshire in a advanced role alongside Barry or Parker...GOOD. I would probably edge the start with Barry due to experience and ability on the ball over Parker. They are both slow-ish players abnd while Parker might be the better holding player, I think two inexperience international players is a risk in the centre and Wales should not pose a real threat in the middle so we will see more of the ball hence the need for Barry passing game.

Of course when Gerrard comes back he will play the deeper role alongisde Wilshire and will do it well because Gerrard defensive abilities have always been underplayed but hes a bloody good tackler and the quarterback role in his advancing years will suit him like Scholes has done with United since 2006.

Also it seems Milner will start on the right to keep Bale quiet with Young on the left...I came to that conclusion weeks ago, hey FA I am cheaper than £6 million per year .

However Carroll set to start over bent is a real WTF since hes not match fit IMO and Bent has been scoring goals all season and looked very good against Denmark.
Old March 24 2011, 11:41 AM   #3402
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah but I wonder if Bent is one of those strikers who is really good at club level but not the best choice at International level...much as Ian Wright was?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 01:41 PM   #3403
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I wouldn't worry. Bale is out, so Wales will offer nothing. Rambo can't do it all himself. 3-0 England.
Old March 24 2011, 04:45 PM   #3404
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yeah but I wonder if Bent is one of those strikers who is really good at club level but not the best choice at International level...much as Ian Wright was?
I thought that but against Denmark his movement was very good and scored the 1st goal, not too mention he scored in his last outing before that too against the Swiss. Bent over the other 3 Defoe, Crouch and Carroll a the moment should be a no brainer...

Defoe - Lack of goals and match time

Carroll - Extreme lack of match fitness due to injury, not 100% match fit.

Crouch - Lack of goals all season and despite his scoring record, can make England a little stale in attack at times. Can come on if 0-0 with 20 minutes to go.

---------------------------------------------

Look at this video Zidane owns...Even at 38, he's still got it
Old March 26 2011, 10:30 PM   #3405
Jax
Admiral

Easy game for England and we never had to get out of 1st gear but Ghana will be more of a challenge no doubt...

Hart (6) - Had nothing to do, easy 90 minutes.

Johnson (7) - Got forward well and 4-3-3 may suit him but sometimes was too far forward and a better team will expose him

Dawson (7) - Nothing much to do but cleaned up well most of the time.

Terry (7) - Same as Dawson

A.Cole (7) - Got forward well and struck a nice balance with his defensive work.

Parker (8) - Broke up the Wales play with ease and is clearly more of a holding player than Barry but needs to work on his skills with the ball

Lampard (6) - Some decent touches but didn't get in any scoring chances throughout the game and Gerrard will replace him in the long run.

Wilshire (6.5) - Played a few passes through the Wales defence for Bent and this role suits him more than the holding one. However caught with the ball a few times and clearly prefers to play with Arsenal players than England at the moment...Just needs time to mature

Young (8) - Set up the 2nd goal and won the spot kick for the opening goal. I still prefer the direct play of Lennon but Ashley after a miserable past to his England career now looks one for the squad for 2012.

Rooney (6) - Not in the game much and cannot play him on the wing from the start. Stupid to get book and will miss the Swiss game BUT Capello must choose in this formation Bent or Rooney...Not Both

Bent (7) - Scored his 3rd goal in as many matches for England and looks the international player. Unlucky not to latch on to a few Wilshire passes but overall his movement was not as good as against Denmark in February. I would pick ooney over Bent in this formation in the long run but Bent is in the squad to stay.

SUBS
Milner (6) - Not much to do and I prefer to see him play centrally and not on the wing in this formation

Downing (6) - Not on for long but had a nice run near the end and very unlucky to see his shot fly inches wide of the post.

Jagielka (N/A) - Only on for minutes but expect him to start against Ghana.

----------------------------------------------

Overall we did what we needed but this 4-3-3 needs Gerrard in the centre for attacking intent and its Rooney or Bent not both. Adam Johnson and Theo Walcott when they return should thrive with this formation though.