RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 790
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 24 2011, 02:35 AM   #16
ngc7293
Commander

Re: NASA sending Robonaut 2 (R2) to ISS in Sept.2010

sojourner wrote: View Post
ngc7293 wrote: View Post
What happened to the robot that was going to be sent up to ISS as a repair bot outside?
I think it's called Robonaut 2. You might find a thread about it in the science and technology forum.
Funny. It already says the Robonaut 2 is only supposed to be used on the interior of the ISS. The Repair robot that I am referring to is supposed to be mounted on the girder system and use The or a version of The Canadian robotic arm. I didn't recall NASA putting this robot up on the ISS so it seemed a little strange for them to spend the money to put another robot on the interior of the station.

I just realized I've been posting to a thread from 2010 shouldn't this have been closed?

Last edited by ngc7293; March 24 2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Zombie thread?
ngc7293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 06:37 AM   #17
sojourner
Vice Admiral

It already says the Robonaut 2 is only supposed to be used on the interior of the ISS.
Only to begin with.
The Repair robot that I am referring to is supposed to be mounted on the girder system and use The or a version of The Canadian robotic arm.
I think your referring to a pair of fine manipulators that were/are useable at the end of the main arm and would also be able to travel along the truss system. Not sure if that ever got implemented, but it does bring up the question of when do you start referring to something as a "robot".
Old March 29 2011, 08:42 PM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

What happened to the robot that was going to be sent up to ISS as a repair bot outside?
I think it's called Robonaut 2. You might find a thread about it in the science and technology forum.
Funny. It already says the Robonaut 2 is only supposed to be used on the interior of the ISS. The Repair robot that I am referring to is supposed to be mounted on the girder system and use The or a version of The Canadian robotic arm.
Perhaps you were thinking of Dextre? (Although, come to think of it, I've also seen the Robonaut depicted as being mounted on the end of the Canadarm, as here.)
Old March 29 2011, 09:03 PM   #19
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

What begins? We have been sending "robotic" probes out for years.
The Robonaut was created by man.
It evolved.
It rebelled.
There are many copies.
And it has a patent.

RobertVA wrote: View Post
I'm thinking the term "robot" exaggerates the capabilities of many of these systems, especially the first two types.
The first two would definitely be considered "robots" IMO, especially since there's a certain amount of overlap in functionality in, say, commercial airliners where the aircraft can actually fly and even LAND itself without human intervention but otherwise can only move as the pilot tells it to. Later generations of Canadarm-style manipulators will probably be able to perform some simple operations automatically--like, say, unstowing equipment from cargo modules and so on--but will have a manual override for unscripted tasks. Teleoperated lunar probes are ALREADY being designed this way.

As for the third category, until you get something that can operate fully autonomously, you're really just talking about a very well-programmed robot. A machine that you can give a set of goals and let it decide how and when to accomplish those goals would be classified as an A.I. or possibly a "drone," in that they require almost no human intervention and can (reasonably) reliably complete their missions.