Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 22 2011, 06:08 PM   #751
O'Dib
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Never thought I'd find Ma Kent appealing (and yes, I watch Smallville).
Old March 22 2011, 06:13 PM   #752
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Jetfire wrote: View Post

(jump to 2:56 for the Superman part)

Bizarro?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 03:51 AM   #753
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah they're taking their time with casting in order to get who they want for the parts they need to fill. Plus Zack has been busy with "Sucker Punch" right now. I've stated that we'll most likely get more casting news once his commitments to the film are over which should be in the next couple of weeks. He's promised the rest of the casting is gonna be awesome and so far it has been so I wouldn't be surprised if it continues in the direction it's been.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 05:51 AM   #754
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Roseanne Barr as Lois Lane....or Perry White.

I can go either way on this.
Old March 23 2011, 06:08 AM   #755
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Haha.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 12:06 PM   #756
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Candis Cayne as Lois? Now, that would be a statement.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 03:01 PM   #757
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd still like to see Tina Fey as Lois. Or Zoe Saldana.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 04:21 PM   #758
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ If you've seen Megamind, then you've seen Tina as Lois. And bloody good she is too.
Old March 23 2011, 04:25 PM   #759
davejames
Vice Admiral

New interview where he talks some about Superman. I'm definitely encouraged to hear that he wants a more "realistic" feel for this movie, and that it apparently won't just be in his usual, super-stylized style.

And he also plans to do a lot more location work than he's done in the past, so it won't just be another all-green screen thing either.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75442

Frankly I don't mind if he continues to bring his stylish flair to the action scenes; I just don't want every OTHER freakin scene in the movie to be posed and stylized beyond belief as well (which for me was the main problem with Watchmen).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 04:45 PM   #760
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ If you've seen Megamind, then you've seen Tina as Lois. And bloody good she is too.

Exactly.
Old March 23 2011, 05:44 PM   #761
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
New interview where he talks some about Superman. I'm definitely encouraged to hear that he wants a more "realistic" feel for this movie, and that it apparently won't just be in his usual, super-stylized style.

And he also plans to do a lot more location work than he's done in the past, so it won't just be another all-green screen thing either.
Yes, I was very reassured to read that. A fanciful concept like Superman works best cinematically if approached with verisimilitude. That's what Richard Donner did, and it worked well for him.

Frankly I don't mind if he continues to bring his stylish flair to the action scenes; I just don't want every OTHER freakin scene in the movie to be posed and stylized beyond belief as well (which for me was the main problem with Watchmen).
Actually I wouldn't like that. I'd prefer the action to be handled naturalistically too. We've already seen plenty of Matrix-style slo-mo and Snyder-style speed ramping in Smallville's action sequences, and though there have been occasional moments when it's reached the level of artistry, for the most part it's long since become a cliche.

And I'd still love to see a flying action scene in a Superman movie executed practically with skydiving stuntmen, rather than with greenscreen/wires or digital characters. That's something I've always wanted to see, and the closest there's ever been was an episode of The Greatest American Hero where you could blatantly see the rip cord and the parachute pouch -- but it was still exciting, and if they could do it on a TV budget, there's no reason a feature film couldn't pull it off.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 06:25 PM   #762
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I'd still love to see a flying action scene in a Superman movie executed practically with skydiving stuntmen, rather than with greenscreen/wires or digital characters. That's something I've always wanted to see, and the closest there's ever been was an episode of The Greatest American Hero where you could blatantly see the rip cord and the parachute pouch -- but it was still exciting, and if they could do it on a TV budget, there's no reason a feature film couldn't pull it off.
I thought it was cool to see them try that (it was certainly better than putting the guy on top of a pickup truck, which they did later), but personally I thought that scene in GAH proved how the "real thing" doesn't look nearly as good as we imagine it. The way everything ripples violently in the wind like that, and the way the person's face gets all stretched and contorted, just doesn't really go with the graceful image I have of Superman.

I DID think the more toned-down version of the real thing used in SR (particularly during the plane rescue) worked really well though. I'd love to see Snyder follow SR's lead on that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 06:33 PM   #763
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Super-cheeks and super-lips won't flap and wave as much as a mortal human's, and super-eyes have no need to squint against the wind. How would you deal with the instinctive tendency to squint for eye protection, against actual wind like that?

However, super-hair might get blown back more or less exactly like a mortal's would, and the forehead curl might really disappear, from being blown back, until he slows down or lands.
Old March 23 2011, 06:36 PM   #764
Gojira
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post

I DID think the more toned-down version of the real thing used in SR (particularly during the plane rescue) worked really well though. I'd love to see Snyder follow SR's lead on that.
Best seen in any Superman movie Ever! I thought that wa exciting and realistic looking and want to see more action along that type of vein in the next movie.
Old March 23 2011, 06:46 PM   #765
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Super-cheeks and super-lips won't flap and wave as much as a mortal human's...
If that were true than Superman wouldn't look like a real human being in any other situation either.