Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 18 2011, 04:58 PM   #346
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.
Re: Minecraft

Dear God thats adorable! Love the little shake when they leave the water, and the head tilt. So much emotion from just a couple of blocks.

Finally single player won't seem quite as lonely anymore.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; March 18 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 06:50 PM   #347
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I wanted a border collie.

They could certainly be useful. I wonder will they follow you into caves?
Old March 18 2011, 07:29 PM   #348
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

That is pretty damn impressive
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 11:50 PM   #349
Steven
Admiral

That's pretty neat! I wonder if they will defend you against hostile mobs too, not just attacking the ones you attack.
Old March 19 2011, 02:10 PM   #350
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
That's pretty neat! I wonder if they will defend you against hostile mobs too, not just attacking the ones you attack.
Only quote I've seen so far from the programmer indicates that they won't attack Creepers. Too big a risk of the whole pack getting wiped out in one explosion.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old March 19 2011, 09:32 PM   #351
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Oh, that's awesome. Now then, I wonder if it will eventually be possible to build a dog sled for the snowy regions
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2011, 02:52 AM   #352
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

For anyone who cares, I am now making my active world available for download, updated every night.

I finished making my big-ass pool (and putting a roof over it).

Download

Though it probably goes without saying, this is a Survival Single-Player world. All of my structures are connected by tunnels/shafts.

I've not done anything in the Nether other than build a portal to it.

I can't guarantee it will change every day but I probably mess with it a few times a week.
Old March 22 2011, 08:27 AM   #353
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Oooh, I'll have to have a look tomorrow when I play Robert.

Maybe I should upload mine too once my big honkin' pyramid is done.
Old March 22 2011, 08:31 AM   #354
Peak
Fleet Captain

Weekend of Minecraft: This weekend.

http://www.weekendofminecraft.net/

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 01:24 AM   #355
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Peak wrote: View Post
Weekend of Minecraft: This weekend.

http://www.weekendofminecraft.net/
Great, now I have to choose between my girlfriend and this.

Or do I?

I'll just have to keep her from griefing. I give her copies of my world and she just goes to town destroying everything. I won't let her touch the real deal.
Old March 23 2011, 01:49 AM   #356
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm doing something wrong Robert, but when I try to open your file, I get a 'This archive is corrupt' error.
Old March 23 2011, 02:02 AM   #357
Robert Maxwell
beep

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm doing something wrong Robert, but when I try to open your file, I get a 'This archive is corrupt' error.
I am a foolish person. I wrote an FTP script to do the heavy lifting for me and apparently I forgot to make it upload in binary mode.

I just reupped and downloaded it and it works now.
Old March 23 2011, 04:16 AM   #358
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I'm new to the beta version of Minecraft, just got it today. I spent most of the time collecting wood and dirt and looking up what it does on the Minecraft Wiki. Then at night when the skeletons came I had failed to make myself any sort of weapon or shelter so I just dug a 5-block-deep hole in the ground and hid there until I got bored and restarted
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 04:51 AM   #359
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Thanks Rob. I'll re-download and give it a look tomorrow.

Gaaah! I reminded myself tonight why I stick with stone tools. I was digging around in a cave with when I spotted five blocks of iron on the floor. As I dug out the last one, I looked up at some more blocks on the ceiling and stumbled right into another cave right underneath mine that was full of lava. Lost my bow, clock and compass, a lovely diamond pick and sword and a bunch of iron armor. *sniff*

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I'm new to the beta version of Minecraft, just got it today. I spent most of the time collecting wood and dirt and looking up what it does on the Minecraft Wiki. Then at night when the skeletons came I had failed to make myself any sort of weapon or shelter so I just dug a 5-block-deep hole in the ground and hid there until I got bored and restarted
Welcome the Minecraft man. Congrats, you've just experienced the typical 'first night'.
And really, unless they're desperate, even experienced players find shelter at night. Those monsters are nasty.

Best strategy is to explore and gather wood and food in the day, and burrow into a hillside and mine at night. Gather raw material until you're ready to start on a proper building.

Last edited by Cutter John; March 23 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old March 23 2011, 09:03 PM   #360
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ Then build a bed, so you don't have to pace for ten-minutes when you don't need to do any mining or crafting.