Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 19 2011, 06:34 PM   #16
infinix
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: The Experience

1001001 wrote: View Post
Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Never got a chance to get out there while it was open. What was in those Warp Core Breaches, btw, 1001001? I've heard they're fantastic.
It's every kind of Bacardi there is (about 10 ounces worth I think), mixed with rasberry liqueur and sobe energy drink in a big bowl with dry ice.

Big bowl of dry ice? you used a straw to drink out of it, I hope?

I wish I had been to the Star Trek Experience. It was always "I'll do it next year." until it was too late...

Can we start an online petition to bring it back? in the form of the movie? Like what we did for Firefly?
Old March 19 2011, 07:14 PM   #17
EnterpriseGeek
Ensign

Always wanted to go but never made it
EnterpriseGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 11:11 PM   #18
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

infinix wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Never got a chance to get out there while it was open. What was in those Warp Core Breaches, btw, 1001001? I've heard they're fantastic.
It's every kind of Bacardi there is (about 10 ounces worth I think), mixed with rasberry liqueur and sobe energy drink in a big bowl with dry ice.

Big bowl of dry ice? you used a straw to drink out of it, I hope?
Certainly. It's huge, and usually shared by several people.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 03:22 AM   #19
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

I went on two occasions: 2002 and 2005. Out of the two rides I liked the Klingon one the best. Overall the place was a Trek fan's version of Disneyland only with Trek stuff. They had these huge mock up models of the Enterprise A and D along with Voyager and a Klingon Bird of Prey hanging overhead.

The museum which was against a wall/queau was pretty neat. I also liked hanging out at DS9 and interacting with the actors. During lunch I got a member of our party to rub a Ferengi waiter's ears and the Ferengi loved it! She nearly killed me when I told her about what she did. One other thing I remember is drinking the Romulan Ale (blue colored beer) that turned my you know what a differrent color later on!

During the 05 visit I took a behind the scenes tour and found out how they accomplished the transporter effect for visitors, which I admit took some of the fun out of the trick (I also had to sign a confidentiality agreement for the tour).
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 03:52 AM   #20
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
During the 05 visit I took a behind the scenes tour and found out how they accomplished the transporter effect for visitors, which I admit took some of the fun out of the trick (I also had to sign a confidentiality agreement for the tour).
We did that too. Having been on that ride many times, we could never figure it out. It was fascinating to see how it really worked.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 11:04 PM   #21
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Hey, kids,

I used to work there back when it first opened to convention week, 2003. It was the coolest gig I ever had. Some of you might have seen me in my other guise as Kralk, son of T'Nek.

Here's a link to another thread I started quite a while back. The photobucket link might not work anymore. I know Vernon is updated the picture quality but you should definitely check out his documentary series on working there and the making of. Fascinating, albeit looooong.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78222

Here's a link to social site where fans and former employees post plans to link up on trips to Vegas.

http://www.trekspace.org/group/startrektheexperience

I'm glad it sounds like a lot of you had tons of fun. That was always our goal.

Qapla'!
Old March 20 2011, 11:30 PM   #22
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Went to Vegas in '06, and while the trip itself was marred by some communications difficulties with my friend, the Experience was definitely a highlight. Liked the Klingon ride more than the Borg one, did the Backstage tour which was a lot of fun, had lunch at Quark's, drank a mini Warp Core Breach and was quite happy for several hours afterwards, though I experienced some IDF failures.

Some pics available here - http://www.fishslayer.net/Pics/Vegas
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2011, 01:27 AM   #23
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! What a great place. I really hope they open a new version down the line, this time with the Classic Trek bridge and a new simulator ride. When you see what the Harry Potter ride can do in Orlando, the mind boggles as to what a Trek one would be like.
Old March 21 2011, 09:44 PM   #24
Brian
Vice Admiral

I went three times. First was for the grand opening in 1998, when they had a star-studded red carpet premiere. Second was in 2003, when I spent a week working at a base near Las Vegas and got to visit The Experience several times. Then I went back in 2008, the weekend before it closed and took the backstage tour with an awesome tour guide who obviously was full of love for the place and torn up about its closing.

I have nothing but fond memories of the place.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 05:16 AM   #25
AuntKate
Commodore

I visited it a couple of times and enjoyed it. I remember a Ferengi came over while we were eating an appetizer (a stack of onion rings) and was angry to find out that we were splitting them. It is a real shame that it closed, but it had a good run.
Old March 23 2011, 02:48 PM   #26
Sagart
Fleet Captain

^^ The Holy Rings of Betazed!! I loved those!!
Old March 23 2011, 03:52 PM   #27
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Did they ever have a Sacred Chalice of Rixx?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 04:07 PM   #28
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

We went to Vegas in 98 specifically to go to ST:TE. It was awesome. I wish we could have gone again, especially for the Borg experience, but never did get to go again. We call it our pilgramage to mecca. I got a little queasy on the ride as i suffer from motion sickness big time! Quarks was great fun. And i bought my beloved jacket that day.

Couple o' pics...i'm the puny human:

My beloved jacket which was literally worn to shreds:

Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 10:09 PM   #29
Kords21
Lieutenant

Here's a video I spliced together from various clips I found of Klingon Encounter, the quality isn't that great, but you'll get the general idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmNLSJycMaw
Kords21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:21 AM   #30
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

I went in 2007, and got some pics with some of the characters. My boyfriend accidentally erased the pictures and kept saying I'll take you back I promise, but the Experience closed before we could return. After years of therapy, I have finally forgiven him.