Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 16 2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Britstan
Ensign

Star Trek: The Experience

Did anyone here ever have a chance to go to the Star Trek: The Experience theme attraction in Las Vegas while it was still open? (closed in 2008).

If you got a chance to see it, was it any good? Should they reopen another version?
Britstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
antiquityscion
Commander

Re: Star Trek: The Experience

Yeah I got to see Star Trek the experience back in June 2006. It was awesome! The Borg 4-D invasion was my favorite of the two rides, but I did the Klingon Encounter, too. I also had dinner at Quarks and talked to the Klingon actors. It was fun!

I had read a while back that they were trying to re-open Star Trek the Experience at another location in Vegas prior to the new movie, but it never happened. I think all the sets and contents of the Star Trek museum have been sold or auctioned off by now. So, considering that, and how long its been since Star Trek the Experience closed, I think the chances of me getting attacked by a shark, struck by lightning, and winning the lottery all at once, are greater than Star Trek the Experience reopening.
antiquityscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
The_Baron
Commander

A work colleague of mine went, she said it was an amazing place!

She was apparently verbally abused by a drunk Klingon. Which is nice.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 06:15 PM   #4
jim hadar
Fleet Captain

I went back in 2001 and had a great time, too bad it closed, it was a very neat place.

I got into an "arguement" in one of the shops with a Ferengi when I told a woman not to buy anything from the Ferengi that was harassing her to buy some trinket from him. He went into a 30 second tirade about how "you hewmons are all alike" basically how we think that we are superior to Ferengi but really aren't. The actors knew their stuff, as he was very convincing.

We had a Romulan waiter at Quarks who I kept insisting was Tal Shir, he kept insisting in a mock paranoid way that he was not. My 6 year-old son was fascinated with the Bat'leth one of the Klingons had, and he let him hold it for a picture, he also offered Blood Wine which we had to decline.

The props, the makeup and the actors were top notch. The ride was great, as was being on the Enterprise D bridge, just a fun time for all.

What the Frak?
jim hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 11:27 PM   #5
heavylids
Lieutenant Commander

I always wanted to go to this, but could never afford the trip. I'm sure if the next couple movies are really successful something else might take its place at the Rio or some other hotel.
Old March 18 2011, 01:26 AM   #6
T J
Commodore

Went there a few times over the years... IT WAS AWESOME! Essentially a "mecca" for Trekkers with loads to see and do. Split a Black Hole with the wife, we got pretty drunk! It was great.
Old March 18 2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

We went there several times. It was a blast!

The Warp Core breach is the greatest drink ever.

We had a Klingon in Quark's, and a guy was sitting at the bar and ordered a white wine. Oh, man! The Klingon was relentless! "Did your mother give you permission to drink, little man?" "Would you like some finger sandwiches with that?" etc. It was hilarious.

The last time we went we did the backstage tour. That was awesome.

I wish it was still around, as we go to Las Vegas frequently.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 03:55 AM   #8
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Loved it. Miss it! It was awesome! I remember discussing Klingon politics with one of the Klingons there, while my father (not a fan) just sat there with his jaw open, not understanding. It was great.
I also "accidentally" started an auto destruct in the shuttle when I started pushing buttons. Riker accused me of being a Klingon spy. Good times.
Met a very nice Andorian fellow one of the last times I was there.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Never got a chance to get out there while it was open. What was in those Warp Core Breaches, btw, 1001001? I've heard they're fantastic.
Old March 18 2011, 04:17 AM   #10
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

It was awesome, and I wish it was still around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 07:37 AM   #11
T J
Commodore

1001001 wrote: View Post
We went there several times. It was a blast!

The Warp Core breach is the greatest drink ever.

That's the name of the drink we had!

Absolutely the greatest drink ever!
Old March 18 2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Never got a chance to get out there while it was open. What was in those Warp Core Breaches, btw, 1001001? I've heard they're fantastic.
It's every kind of Bacardi there is (about 10 ounces worth I think), mixed with rasberry liqueur and sobe energy drink in a big bowl with dry ice.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Ah, it's a fish bowl! Nice! Love fish bowls.
Old March 19 2011, 02:53 AM   #14
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I never got a chance to go, but I wish I had. Just interacting with the actors sounds like it would have made the visit worthwhile.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Brannigan
Commander

I went here the spring before it closed (I was at a conference at the Riviera with a buddy and we were both Star Trek fans). It was fun, the Borg character was walking around and we got our pic with him. We weren't going to do the museum or rides, but ended up doing so. Awesome! The Borg 3-D invasion was so cool. We had two warp core breaches (1 before a conference, so you can guess how that went!). Anyway it was a lot of fun, and I am glad I got to go, because when we were out there, we asked if it was closing and the staff said no, not that they were aware.