Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2011, 11:15 PM   #136
JRoss
Captain

Re: "If only" Hollywood would do this...

Impossible now that they are dead, but a 1940's Batman directed by Orson Welles, starring Cary Grant as Batman and Conrad Veidt as the Joker.

Also, a real commitment to a Dune film series, at least Dune through God-Emperor of Dune, with Siaorse Ronan as Alia.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 11:40 PM   #137
JRoss
Captain

@Lapis: Animals do indeed kill for reasons other than food. They kill to "defend" themselves, but that includes killing the baby offspring of rival males. Tarzan killing in such a manner isn't all that dissimilar. I'm on the fence about the racism of Tarzan of the Apes, or at least the racism of ERB. In the second Barsoom book he contrasts "Black Barsoomians" with the "beautiful Negro of Earth."

He was, however, a proponent of Eugenics. I don' like that, as with Eugenics I would be sterilized.
Old March 17 2011, 11:41 PM   #138
JRoss
Captain

Ooh, ooh, or a film adaptation of Takashi Matsuoka's Cloud of Sparrows. Not sci-fi or fantasy, unless you count the brief allegorical prophecy daydreams, but still great fun.
Old March 18 2011, 12:25 AM   #139
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Like, say, Alfred Bester? The Demolished Man? The Stars My Destination?

I actually have an old paperback edition of The Demolished Man that says "Soon to Be a Major Motion Picture." This would been around around 1980 . . . so I've only been waiting for the movie for twenty-plus years!
I think The Stars My Destination would be a great movie. But for some reason I can't see The Demolished Man as a major motion picture. When I read it, the adaptation in my head was closer to an old episode of The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone. Maybe that's because it's much more of an internal story. The Stars My Destination has just the right amount of epic visuals to be appropriately translatable.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is another book I think would make a great movie. The difficulty with that one would be the almost constant use of low-gravity effects. I think they might be better off trying to realize this one as a photo-realistic CGI film in the vein of Robert Zemeckis' Beowulf.

My all-time favorite novel would have to be Neil Gaiman's American Gods. (I've read it twice and I never reread fiction.) It's epic, a bit sprawling, but thoroughly filmable, particularly considering it's a fantasy set almost entirely in modern day America. And they must, absolutely MUST cast Brian Cox as Mr. Wednesday. No one else oozes friendly, casual menace the way he can. I'm a bit more flexible with Shadow, although I'm picturing someone in the vein of Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, or Sam Worthington.

BTW, for further fantasizing about adapting books into movies or mini-series, I recommend the website http://storycasting.com .

A couple of coming of age fantasies I'd like to see adapted: The Dark Glory War by Michael Stackpole & The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

It's still not too late for Lucy Lawless & Renee O'Connor to do a big screen Xena movie.

I'd like to see another CGI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

And call me crazy but I'd like to see Ben Affleck & Jon Favreau come back for Daredevil II.

Gaith wrote: View Post
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution - another, much more book-faithful adaptation.
Oddly enough, the screenplay was itself written by Nicholas Meyer. But then, it wouldn't be the 1st time a novelist missed the mark with his own adaptation. Ayn Rand's screenplay for The Fountainhead seems to totally miss the point of her own book.

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
A sequel to Super Mario Bros.
I think its time has passed but I would have been very happy with this back in the 1990s.
Old March 18 2011, 01:32 AM   #140
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I'd love to see a full-blown remake of Le Voyage Dans La Lune complete with the horrible scientific inaccuracies of the original done, not as a comedy/send-up nor as a straight up drama, but something that is just a non-stop roller-coaster romp (kinda like the tone the Indiana Jones films have).

Also, I think a successful Mario Bros film can be made if done as a CGI animated feature in the vein of Shrek. Maybe call it Super Mario World to separate itself from the live action feature.
Old March 18 2011, 01:46 AM   #141
Australis
Writer

JRoss wrote: View Post
Impossible now that they are dead, but a 1940's Batman directed by Orson Welles, starring Cary Grant as Batman and Conrad Veidt as the Joker.
Ooo, that'd be cool. Can't get Welles, but it's only a matter of time before image capture becomes sophisticated enough to recreate Grant and Veidt in a virtual format.

Wow, how could I forget 3 of my favourite novels?! The Dream Park trilogy by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. These are perfect for big screen treatment and have indeed been optioned in the past, at least once by Spielberg.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 02:19 AM   #142
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I loved Dream Park, though it makes me crave a Burger King Whopper with cheese. I read it on my lunch breaks many years ago.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 03:11 AM   #143
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Since I was a teen I've wanted a live action mini-series (or ongoing) of either Battletech or Exo-Squad. The sad part is, I believe a live action Battletech was greenlit a long time ago but it never took off. Ah well...
Old March 18 2011, 03:41 AM   #144
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Steam Trek: The Motion Picture.
Old March 18 2011, 05:02 PM   #145
Mistral
Vice Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post

Also, a real commitment to a Dune film series, at least Dune through God-Emperor of Dune, with Siaorse Ronan as Alia.
Not impossible. Technology is fast reaching a point where the rights to a dead tv star/movie star are going to be worth $$$.
They can be plugged right into the picture, ala Forrest Gump.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 08:57 PM   #146
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Give Terry Gilliam the money to do, well, whatever he wants.
Old March 18 2011, 09:47 PM   #147
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

I would like to see:

-A movie version of "Wicked" (the book, not the musical)

-A Pixar animated Super Mario Brothers

-A movie version of Daniel Pinkwater's "Lizard Music" (a kid's book but really good...would make a killer movie)

- A new feature length film from the Henson Company (like the Dark Crystal or Labyrinth) with 100% puppets and ZERO CGI

-An HBO Trek series or a Trek TV mini-series (on any channel) of an era we haven't seen (The Romulan War? The Eugenics Wars?)
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 10:18 PM   #148
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

ToddKent wrote: View Post
I would like to see:

-A Pixar animated Super Mario Brothers

-A movie version of Daniel Pinkwater's "Lizard Music" (a kid's book but really good...would make a killer movie)

- A new feature length film from the Henson Company (like the Dark Crystal or Labyrinth) with 100% puppets and ZERO CGI

-An HBO Trek series or a Trek TV mini-series (on any channel) of an era we haven't seen (The Romulan War? The Eugenics Wars?)
Ooh, yes, The Dark Crystal Sequel, which keeps popping back into Development hell

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 11:26 PM   #149
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I would like to see:

)

You may get your wish, sort of. There's a tv miniseries in development.
Old March 19 2011, 02:47 PM   #150
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I would like to see:

)

You may get your wish, sort of. There's a tv miniseries in development.
Awesome! Where did you hear that?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote