Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2011, 07:11 PM   #121
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced

If they had told me that the film was being canceled or delayed because of the earthquake, I'd understand. But Aronofsky knew he'd have to spend time in japan to make the film...
I don't get it
Old March 17 2011, 07:13 PM   #122
scnj
Captain

Wasn't David Slade on the shortlist? What's he up to?
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 07:13 PM   #123
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

^Daredevil reboot, apparently.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 07:38 PM   #124
FreezeC77
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
If they had told me that the film was being canceled or delayed because of the earthquake, I'd understand. But Aronofsky knew he'd have to spend time in japan to make the film...
I don't get it
Maybe he just doesn't want to come out and say it's because of the earthquake and now nuclear plant scare. He's got a 5 year old son with Rachel Weise. 5 years old is old enough to know what's going on in the world, but not the nuts and buts and behind things.

Maybe the kid was freaking out because he didn't want Daddy going to where a nuclear meltdown might be happening. Or maybe Aronofsky had planned to bring his son over for some visits there, but he doesn't want to bring him there now.

But like you said he's known what the schedule was for a long time so I don't really buy that reason.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 07:39 PM   #125
Jetfire

What's Uwe Boll doing these days? I am looking at you Aragorn!
Old March 17 2011, 07:53 PM   #126
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, that's disappointing news. I was really looking forward to Arnofsky's take on the character especially considering his regular theme of obsession.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 08:39 PM   #127
Dream
Admiral

This is shocking!

I heard on another board that Aronofsky is busy having a big custody battle over his kid with his wife right now which is why this might be happening.

Too bad Slade is no longer available.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 09:21 PM   #128
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced (3/17/11--Aronofsky qui

Money says we get some "generic" director on the movie now. Blah.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 09:26 PM   #129
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

This is extremely depressing. It reminds me when Matthew Vaughn left X-Men: The Last Stand. I was really looking forward to Aronosfky's take on Wolverine. Oh, well.
Old March 17 2011, 09:28 PM   #130
Aragorn
Admiral

Nathan Fillion to direct! What, doesn't his name get mentioned for EVERYTHING on this board?

Jetfire wrote: View Post
What's Uwe Boll doing these days? I am looking at you Aragorn!
It's not worth hating Uwe Boll anymore since he stopped getting $50 million budgets to make movies that only gross $2 million, and now he's just another straight-to-DVD hack.

Although actually I do know that Dolph Lundgren just made In the Name of a King 2 with him, so Boll might be free now.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 09:51 PM   #131
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I don't get it
That's actually a good point. How on earth would any studio plan to film a major movie in Japan in the near future?
Old March 17 2011, 10:00 PM   #132
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Although actually I do know that Dolph Lundgren just made In the Name of a King 2 with him, so Boll might be free now.
Whaaaaat??? Shut up. You're joking right?

*heads off to IMDB*
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 10:03 PM   #133
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
This is shocking!

I heard on another board that Aronofsky is busy having a big custody battle over his kid with his wife right now which is why this might be happening.
Most likely. They have indeed split and if there is a custody battle, his being away from his son for work for a significant period of time would severely hurt his position. He's already at a disadvantage because he and Weiss never married, and courts aren't friendly to dads to begin with.
Old March 17 2011, 10:29 PM   #134
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Probably good as an Aronofsky directed Wolverine would have been hella depressing.
Old March 17 2011, 10:53 PM   #135
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Well they still have the same supposedly excellent script they were going to use when Darren Aronofsky was set to direct, so just because he's leaving doesn't mean it's going to be monumentally ("Say Anything" reference FTW ) worse than it would have been with Aronofsky at the helm.

I kinda wish the studio would just hold off on making the movie until things settle down in Japan and perhaps Aronofsky is free again having finished the custody battle. Unfortunately, I think it's more likely we'll get a "X-Men: The Last Stand" situation where they just get whoever is available to direct because they're greedy, impatient, and insistent on having the movie meet is projected release date, even if that means hurting the movie's eventual quality.

The studio should have waited for Singer and his screenwriters to come back after "Superman Returns" instead of insisting that the third X-Men movie had to come out in 2006. Singer said they would have done it. If the studio had waited, we probably would have got the proper conclusion to Singer's trilogy in 2008 instead of "Valkyrie". I bet it would have been worth the five year wait between sequels.

I hope this doesn't mean Aronofsky is going to waste his time on the "Robocop" re-make that he was previously attached to. I just watched that movie again and it is so of its time, so demonstrative of the specific strengths and quirks of its director, and so perfect just the way it is. The re-make is a terrible idea, no matter who directs it. Paul Verhoven really put his stamp on it (love his satirical stuff about news and media and his crazy sci-fi make-up and special effects) and people should leave it alone.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote