Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 16 2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

After "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" ... I'd be kind of intrigued to see what Affleck would do with the property.
Old March 16 2011, 07:02 PM   #17
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I liked the first one well enough, but it didn't really leave me wanting more of that take on the character. I'm happy to hear about this reboot. I wish that Michael Clarke Duncan could get another shot at Kingpin but I doubt that's going to happen.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 08:34 PM   #18
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The theatrical cut is much better. If you haven't seen it, try it. An entire plot line that clears things up a lot is what is missing, down side from a run time pers
I think you mean the director's cut is much better.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 08:35 PM   #19
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I wish Fantastic Four would do it but we shall see.
No, those FF movies need to be completely wiped from our mind heads.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 09:34 PM   #20
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
After "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" ... I'd be kind of intrigued to see what Affleck would do with the property.
Yeah, I think that would awesome just for the novelty of it.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 09:41 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The theatrical cut is much better. If you haven't seen it, try it. An entire plot line that clears things up a lot is what is missing, down side from a run time pers
I think you mean the director's cut is much better.
DOH!
Yes Directors Cut.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 09:59 PM   #22
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
In the theatrical version, we never find out how the cops suddenly know Fisk is the Kingpin.
Yeah, in the theatrical cut, it seems like Fisk gets arrested for the crime of getting beat up by Daredevil.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 01:27 AM   #23
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Hmm... I liked Hard Candy, but Eclipse was the worst movie of last year. It made Twilight and New Moon look like Oscar winners.
Worse than The Last Airbender?

I'm game for another Daredevil movie. I agree with several points already made. The first movie had editing issues which I think compounded the 'feel' of too much going on. The theatrical cut is much better. If you haven't seen it, try it. An entire plot line that clears things up a lot is what is missing, down side from a run time perspective is it's about 20+min of footage.
It's actually an extra 33 minutes of footage, resulting in a cut that's 30 minutes longer (due to 3 minutes of conflicting scenes that were cut out). And that's a good thing if only because it's a director's cut that actually gives you your money's worth. So many "director's cuts" just drop in an extra couple minutes of nothing clips and call it a day. The Director's Cut of Daredevil doesn't just add scenes. It totally restructures the movie, switching the order of many scenes, changing the context & meaning of several lines. I suspect very few other director's cuts have been so bold in their changes. Perhaps The Abyss, Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Dark City, & The Lord of the Rings. (Then there's the cynical, shortened TV version of Brazil included on the Criterion Collection DVD.)

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'm in the minority that liked the first one
Yeah! Represent!

Overall, I think the 1st one gets a bad rap, and I think that's mostly because it was very fashionable to bash Affleck back in 2003. (It hasn't gone totally out of style but it's not a national obsession now like it was 8 years ago.) Frankly, I've liked him in everything I've seen him in. Armageddon, Paycheck, & Pearl Harbor all had decent performances from him, even if the movies left something to be desired. Reindeer Games was a helluva lot of fun! And he's delightfully self-deprecating, depicting himself as an insatiable prostitute murderer in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

But my favorite performance of his is as Daredevil. I think he does such a good job of capturing the physical & psychological toll of being a superhero. And then, when he meets another wounded soul like Elektra, it's like an answer to a prayer. Plus, Jon Favreau provides great comic relief. While I'm not totally satisfied with the resolution to the Kingpin storyline in either version, I think the movie captures enough of the right feeling that it's worth it, even in the Theatrical Cut. (Plus, I still miss the 1st confessional scene.)
Old March 18 2011, 02:32 AM   #24
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm wondering now if Slade will get "The Wolverine" like he wanted after Aronosfky has dropped out now. Slade was reported to have had meetings with Jackman and be high in the running until they signed Darren.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 03:16 AM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I'm game for another Daredevil movie. I agree with several points already made. The first movie had editing issues which I think compounded the 'feel' of too much going on. The theatrical cut is much better. If you haven't seen it, try it. An entire plot line that clears things up a lot is what is missing, down side from a run time perspective is it's about 20+min of footage.
It's actually an extra 33 minutes of footage, resulting in a cut that's 30 minutes longer (due to 3 minutes of conflicting scenes that were cut out)..)

The novelization was based on the original script. I admit I was shocked when I first saw the movie in the theaters at how much of the plot had been cut out. Thank god they let me keep those scenes in the novelization or the book would have been a whole lot shorter!
Old March 18 2011, 04:41 AM   #26
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I dont loathe the first one but look forward to another. His rogues gallery is very limited however.
It's not, really. He's got a pretty well-developed set of adversaries, certainly enough for a few films.

The original film wasn't bad (and the Director's Cut is much better), but I'm open to them giving the property another shot.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2011, 05:33 AM   #27
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Given the increased popularity of "Parkour", I think it'd be really cool if they eschewed the wonky CGI for Daredevil's acrobatics and just hired a really frickin' awesome stuntman. Base the storyline on the Bendis/Maleev run to give it a sorta "'Goodfellas' with superheroes" feel.. I think you got a recipe for a pretty sweet Daredevil flick.
Old March 19 2011, 10:28 AM   #28
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Scroll through the many news stories and rumours here and you'll see a claim that Bradley Cooper and Garret Hedlund might be in the frame to play DD. Of course, as the story acknowledges, you can expect about 30 other names to be bandied about (one I've heard is Slade's Eclipse star Robert Pattinson, uh!).

http://www.moviehole.net/201138577-q...-tooth-fairy-2
Old March 19 2011, 10:28 AM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Stupid double post.
Old March 19 2011, 04:19 PM   #30
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Bradley Cooper I like. He could work imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote