TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 15 2011, 10:09 PM   #31
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Haven't heard of this film at all. And that's already quite an achievement right there.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 10:16 PM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm just not the one asking "What happened?"
The very title of your thread says "What happened?"

YOU put that in there!

And that's my answer, it looked like kiddie crap that doesn't appeal to me so I didn't go see it, and I'm sure countless other people felt the same way; it didn't look like a movie that'd appeal to both adults and children and since the latter can't go without the former being there the movie bombed as it probably didn't appeal to kids at all either.

The movie looked like crap, it failed.

Nothing to do with 3D (which movie studios are way over doing, but at least with animated movies it the 3D can be "faked" the "proper way"), Zemeckis or anything else. The movie just didn't look good so no one went to see it.

That's what happened.

Question asked, question answered.
Old March 15 2011, 10:26 PM   #33
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm just not the one asking "What happened?"
The very title of your thread says "What happened?"

YOU put that in there!

And that's my answer, it looked like kiddie crap that doesn't appeal to me so I didn't go see it, and I'm sure countless other people felt the same way; it didn't look like a movie that'd appeal to both adults and children and since the latter can't go without the former being there the movie bombed as it probably didn't appeal to kids at all either.

The movie looked like crap, it failed.

Nothing to do with 3D (which movie studios are way over doing, but at least with animated movies it the 3D can be "faked" the "proper way"), Zemeckis or anything else. The movie just didn't look good so no one went to see it.

That's what happened.

Question asked, question answered.
Psssst, double check the Original Poster, it's not Captain Craig

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 10:29 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Thank You. I wasn't getting through to him.
Everyone's post in the thread is titled "Mars Needs Moms: What happened???"
Because 23 Skiddo the OP made it that way.
Frankly getting Trekker to see the error was more fun than talking about this craptacular movie which we all answered anyway as to why it failed.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 10:38 PM   #35
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Sorry, I couldn't help laughing.
Old March 15 2011, 10:43 PM   #36
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

Seeing the full trailer it doesn't look to be that bad and I have no real issue with motion capture except for the dead eyes. But the TV ads that I saw were nothing like the full trailer.
They should make the biggest deal about this flop because maybe people will go see it just to see how bad it is. I'm kinda intrigued.

And Trekker, I'm pretty sure that you aren't the demographic they were looking for with this movie. Referring to a kids movie as kiddie crap is like referring to a sci-fi movie as sci-fi crap. If you don't like the genre, then chances are the movie won't do anything for you.
Old March 16 2011, 12:44 AM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ah, I attributed the thread's title to the wrong person in my quote.

My bad, sorry for the confusion.
Old March 16 2011, 12:58 AM   #38
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I think that this story, this particular failure, is a BIG story for Hollywood, in conjunction with the Yellow Submarine story on the other thread. And it goes well beyond Yellow Submarine.

Think about this.. Hollywood is in a 3-D kick, but it possible that this fad might die down, and fast.

Then, think about his, too, that ALL the big names are investing in the motion capture shit... Zemeckis, Jackson, Spielberg, and Cameron, and the only one who seems to be using it correctly right now is Cameron (Jackson did use it right in the past with Gollum and Kong - basically anytime the character isn't really a human but must have an expressive face). These are the biggest names in the business and they are putting a lot into it, and, Avatar excepted (at least for the time being) the audience isn't nearly as enthusiastic as the filmmakers, and kids couldn't care less about the names attached to the film.

I think this one flop will have some long-term repercussions.
Old March 16 2011, 01:33 AM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Boy, I feel ashamed that I thought it looked kind of fun from the ads...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 03:51 AM   #40
flemm
Fleet Captain

Eh, I don't think the failure of this film really says much about the future of 3D. The title is extremely off-putting and unattractive. I didn't know it was coming out and I frequent enough genre websites to be pretty aware of what releases are on the horizon.

The idea that this movie's failure would cause studios to rethink the use of 3D strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of those who don't like 3D. I don't have any special attachment to it either, for the record, but I don't expect it to disappear anytime soon. For that to happen it would have to become clear that making a movie in 3D hurts the bottom line more than it helps, which I doubt is the case for the time being.

Last edited by flemm; March 16 2011 at 04:02 AM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 03:55 AM   #41
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
...and honestly, the name is cringeworthy.
This. And the marketing did nothing to make it look anyhting other than cheap and lazy. Until the Zemeckis thread showed up here, I had no idea Disney was even behind it. The title and the images made me think of those cheap, shitty CG films from no-name studios, such as Planet 51 and Hoodwinked. I had no idea that a major studio was involved. I imagine other people felt the same way and just had no interest in seeing it.
Old March 16 2011, 04:01 AM   #42
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I joked with my little nephew that the title of the movie should've been Mars Kidnaps Moms, though I highly doubt a different title would've saved the film.
Old March 16 2011, 04:17 AM   #43
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

flemm wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't think the failure of this film really says much about the future of 3D. The title is extremely off-putting and unattractive. I didn't know it was coming out and I frequent enough genre websites to be pretty aware of what releases are on the horizon.

The idea that this movie's failure would cause studios to rethink the use of 3D strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of those who don't like 3D. I don't have any special attachment to it either, for the record, but I don't expect it to disappear anytime soon. For that to happen it would have to become clear that making a movie in 3D hurts the bottom line more than it helps, which I doubt is the case for the time being.
I only mentioned 3-D but I was really talking about motion capture
Old March 16 2011, 04:19 AM   #44
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

What I don't understand, above all else, is why people who are clearly not part of the demographic that the movie is aimed at, criticize it as if it was and then seem happy for the failure of a movie not directed at them.

In a way, it's kinda like the 40 year old dudes who complain about Twilight and don't understand why anyone would see it.

The demographic the movie was aimed towards is too young to decide "I hate 3D I hope this fails". They were old enough to decide, however, "This doesn't look interesting, mom and dad, please don't take me to see this". And, frankly, mom and dad were fine with that decision.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2011, 05:09 AM   #45
Gaith
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
What I don't understand, above all else, is why people who are clearly not part of the demographic that the movie is aimed at, criticize it as if it was and then seem happy for the failure of a movie not directed at them.
This was produced by Zemeckis, whose plans for another 3D mocap movie have been scuttled. Suppose the old man still has a good live-action movie or two for adults left in him, and this helps spur him to make it.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote