RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,846
Posts: 5,327,888
Members: 24,552
Currently online: 713
Newest member: SpammetySpam

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 15 2011, 07:05 PM   #16
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

^Wall-E did rather well, however. But that was aimed at a fairly large audience.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

marillion wrote: View Post
My kids had ZERO interest in seeing this. I think, for a while, we've had a glut of cheapo CGI animated movies that tried to rely too heavily on the "wow" factor of the new technology.. And then compound that with 3-D... Because these cheapo movies are so bad, movies with a big budget seem more likey to tank.

I read this morning that the instant flop of MNM was the final straw in having Disney kill Zemeckis' plans to redo "Yellow Submarine" (Thank God)...
Actually, Yellow Submarine was already dead. This just proved they were right to kill it.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

JRoss wrote: View Post
Looks like garbage, so nobody wants to see it. Yes, a lot of people are getting tired of 3D. Getting tired of paying a lot more per ticket for something that in now way enhances the film.
QFT.

The title is lame (which pretty much tells the whole story). The plot is lame. Just because it's a 3D animated movie doesn't guarantee success at the box office. It never stood a chance against other movies, like the newly released Battle Los Angeles or current hits like Rango. It was doomed to fail, and miserably it did.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 07:54 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Mars Needs Moms: what happened?
It looked like kiddy crap that wouldn't interest me in the slightest.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Berkeley Breathed's losing streak continues, alas...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:22 PM   #21
Hyperspace05
Commodore
 
Hyperspace05's Avatar
 
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Zemeckis needs to be banned from any involvement with a movie featuring CG in the next decade. For his own good. (although I release he was only a producer for this film)
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:28 PM   #22
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Mars Needs Moms: what happened?
It looked like kiddy crap that wouldn't interest me in the slightest.
I'm puzzled by this "quote" from me.
That is the thread title only. Nothing I typed in my post but yeah it was crap. I explained that in my post. This is just an erroneous "quote" and I wanted to point that out.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:32 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
What happened??? Do you even have to ask?

I'll tell you what happened - They made a film that looks like crap. So nobody saw it.

It's not any more complicated than that.

Exactly. There are articles around that went "The boys didn't like the title, more girls went".

No one went, it's not a demo thing, the movie looks bad, graphics and plot wise.

Once and awhile a bad movie actually does as badly as it should.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Um, 'cause it looked extremely lame?
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 08:53 PM   #25
bryce
Commodore
 
bryce's Avatar
 
Location: bryce
View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

I think the biggest mistake was NOT following the source material (yes, there is source material) AT ALL - except maybe in title.

The produced chose to go with his personal favorite cheesy mocap straight from the bottom of the Uncanny Valley instead of Berkeley Breathed awesomely wonderful and beautiful artistic style. So instead of a unique and beautiful animated film - we get this creepy dead-eyed mess.

It really sucks to, because Breathed's style of drawing is really beautiful and unique - just like the book the movie takes it's name from. But sadly now, when people hear "Mars Needs Moms", they will think of this abominable mess of a film, instead of Bearkeley Breathed's wondrous and magical book.

ETA: Here's an article from Berkeley Breathed about what went wrong: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar...-moms-20110306

EATA: funny think is most reviews i have read say it's a pretty good flick - not perfect, but not that bad. Unfortunately, I think a combination of bad marketing and...well...that creep mocap filming style...turned people off.

Plus, we are in a recession...and I can barely even afford to take all of my my 3 kids and their 2 1/2 sister and brother and myself - and maybe my ex-wife - to see *one* film - in 2D at the *Early bird* Matinée ($2 off the regular $7 or $8), LET ALONE take all of us to an $11 or $12 a pop 3D film...and I think most parents, when they can afford to take the family out to a 3D flick, probably can only afford one movie - and there's a lot of competition out there for that money...

And I think "MNM" just lost out to "Rango"...
__________________
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bryceburchett
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bryceburchett
03dashk64@gmail.com ("dash" *is* spelled out!)

Last edited by bryce; March 15 2011 at 09:05 PM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm puzzled by this "quote" from me.
It's the title of the thread, it asked a question, I answered.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 09:05 PM   #27
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

How come when any movie bombs, people don't ask if it's the death of cinema?

Or do they?
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 09:22 PM   #28
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

bryce wrote: View Post
I think the biggest mistake was NOT following the source material (yes, there is source material) AT ALL - except maybe in title.

The produced chose to go with his personal favorite cheesy mocap straight from the bottom of the Uncanny Valley instead of Berkeley Breathed awesomely wonderful and beautiful artistic style. So instead of a unique and beautiful animated film - we get this creepy dead-eyed mess.

It really sucks to, because Breathed's style of drawing is really beautiful and unique - just like the book the movie takes it's name from. But sadly now, when people hear "Mars Needs Moms", they will think of this abominable mess of a film, instead of Bearkeley Breathed's wondrous and magical book.

ETA: Here's an article from Berkeley Breathed about what went wrong: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar...-moms-20110306

EATA: funny think is most reviews i have read say it's a pretty good flick - not perfect, but not that bad. Unfortunately, I think a combination of bad marketing and...well...that creep mocap filming style...turned people off.

Plus, we are in a recession...and I can barely even afford to take all of my my 3 kids and their 2 1/2 sister and brother and myself - and maybe my ex-wife - to see *one* film - in 2D at the *Early bird* Matinée ($2 off the regular $7 or $8), LET ALONE take all of us to an $11 or $12 a pop 3D film...and I think most parents, when they can afford to take the family out to a 3D flick, probably can only afford one movie - and there's a lot of competition out there for that money...

And I think "MNM" just lost out to "Rango"...
Yeah. The original book is just great.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 10:03 PM   #29
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm puzzled by this "quote" from me.
It's the title of the thread, it asked a question, I answered.
I know it was the title of the thread but I wasn't the OP. See the confusion?
It reads like a question/statment I made but didn't. Your answer I agree with, I'm just not the one asking "What happened?" I knew that answer months ago.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 10:06 PM   #30
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Dude, He probably highlighted the subject, and then put quote codes around it
__________________
Boy, I remember the first time I got shot out of a cannon.
I don't want your fyoo-chur!
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.