Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 11 2011, 12:11 PM   #3376
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

QPR will most likely get a fine and suspended minimal points deduction.

Barcelona, a dream to watch, but their defence isn't great. Can't see them, or Real Madrid, winning the CL this season. T'would be funny if Tottenham did, if only to rub it in the faces of Chelsea and Arsenal. No London side's ever won the European Cup/Champions League - ironic if Tottenham managed it at the first time of asking!

Must admit I didn't particularly agree with the commentary on the Tottenham vs Milan game on ITV the other night. Milan dominated in as much as Tottenham were happy to keep them at arm's length. They dominated possession but spent most of the time going sideways or playing it around the halfway line. As far as decent chances go, Spurs had just as many as Milan did. Personally, I thought Spurs looked fairly comfortable. Shame Arsenal went out, a Spurs vs Arsenal would have been a fantastic QF.
Old March 11 2011, 03:37 PM   #3377
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I would of loved a Spurs vs. Arsenal Q/F cause really the CL has been pretty boring this season minus Spurs. I was surprised by Spurs on wednesday night but am guessing injuries have taken its toll a little on the squad so there not quite firing on all cylinders. If Spurs met Barca they would probably lose by quite a few but ypu can imagine both legs being like 4-2 Spurs would really get at Barca and not back off all the time.

Gerrard is out for a month, not surprised by the timing with FA cup this weekend (so dunno if they have a PL game or not) and England not long after. Capello will probably play Lampard and Wilshire and not let either push forward against Wales.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2011, 09:28 PM   #3378
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

QPR won't have a points deduction. It's too good to be true. Be bloody amazing if it did happen though - especially because the rule they're alleged to have broken was brought in following the Tevez affair, action championed and encouraged by... now-QPR manager Neil Warnock!

Generally speaking I don't like Spurs, but they've been great to watch in Europe this year. I wouldn't agree they were 'comfortable' on Wednesday though, but it was a great game, a great tie in fact. I couldn't believe how quick and crisp Milan were, and Seedorf was a different. If it weren't for Sandro, I don't think Spurs would have survived!

Arsenal was an embarrassment from what I saw, but I had Radio Wales on listening to the Palace game and was too busy shaking my head in my hands in disbelief at yet another insipid fuck-up to be interested in the World's Worst Red Card.

Also, I wouldn't agree Barca's defence is as poor as Jax suggests. It was on Tuesday because their first choice CBs were unavailable, but normally they're good. Their weakness I would have said was the space their full-backs leave by bombing up the field all the time, but it still takes a great team to beat them. It's all very well saying get the ball and get at them, but how teams can?

Finally, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Andriy Shevchenko, 55, run rings around Man City. He was and still is a class act.
Old March 13 2011, 11:33 AM   #3379
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Thank you Derby

Anyone who's not seen Ashley Williams' own goal, look it up on Youtube or wherever. Pure comedy that also exposes Swansea for the boring passing lightweight media darlings they are (a little bias there I admit!)
Old March 13 2011, 09:16 PM   #3380
Starkers
Admiral

You're very welcome!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2011, 01:10 AM   #3381
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Derby and a few other clubs did Forest some good favours but they way were going, a top 6 finish seems unlikely unless we can turn around our 1 win in 6 games run. This season is so similar to last season...

* A slow start to the season

* We pick up points at lighting pace in the middle

* Enter automatic place

* Slump in last third of the season

We've won the same amount of games as we have drawn...15 fucking draws the difference between 6th and 1st.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2011, 10:59 AM   #3382
Starkers
Admiral

No crowing (like we can talk!) but this seems to be very much the Billy Davies way of things, it was exactly the same when we went up, we were cruising then the wheels came off and we stuttered into 3rd place (although it should be pointed out we were well clear of WBA in 4th). And I'm sure Billy will point to not getting the support of singings in January, but he had loads of support with us and it didn't help much (if anything it seemed to hinder). It can't be denied that he's a good manager, but he isn't as good as people (himself especially) thinks he is.

That said everyone up top seems to be stuttering at the moment!

So Arsenal out of 3 competions in the space of a fortnight! Bit shocking that...

Old March 14 2011, 01:48 PM   #3383
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
Derby and a few other clubs did Forest some good favours but they way were going, a top 6 finish seems unlikely unless we can turn around our 1 win in 6 games run. This season is so similar to last season...

* A slow start to the season

* We pick up points at lighting pace in the middle

* Enter automatic place

* Slump in last third of the season
Sounds familiar...
Old March 14 2011, 07:58 PM   #3384
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
So Arsenal out of 3 competions in the space of a fortnight! Bit shocking that...
And apparently on the verge of re-signing Jens Lehmann for the rest of the season....!
Old March 14 2011, 08:16 PM   #3385
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I thought that was a joke when I first read that today.
Old March 14 2011, 08:19 PM   #3386
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fair play though, I'd rather have 700-year old Jens Lehmann than Almunia!
Old March 14 2011, 11:36 PM   #3387
Starkers
Admiral

So last year it was Campbell, this year Lehman...maybe next year Wenger will hire the experienced head at the start of the season for a change?

Old March 16 2011, 12:29 PM   #3388
Starkers
Admiral

Thanks Preston!

Old March 16 2011, 10:30 PM   #3389
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

And thanks Coventry - what a bizarre result that was.

I reckon Derby are safe for their trips to Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth and Brighton for next season now.
Old March 17 2011, 04:40 PM   #3390
Starkers
Admiral

I'd still like a few more points on the board before I get cocky if I'm honest, but am definitely feeling a little safer!