Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 10 2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Cmdr Shepard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Greatest discover ever.

Aliens exist, and we have proof.

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist [sic] would say that this is impossible.”

Hoover discovered the fossils by breaking apart the CI1 meteorite, and analyzing the exposed rock with a scanning-electron microscope and a field emission electron-scanning microscope, which allowed him to detect any fossil remains. What he found were fossils of micro-organisms (pictured below), many of which he says are strikingly similar to those found on our own planet (pictured above).

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...nceofalienlife
Cmdr Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Squiggy will be along shortly to dash your hopes.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2011, 12:16 AM   #3
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

While this is an interesting discovery and would be wonderful if true, there's a long way to go before this is considered conclusive proof. The fact that the microfossils are so similar to Terrestrial forms is indicative more of contamination than alien life.

This researcher has made some pretty extravagant claims before and the Journal of Cosmology has published some questionable research (in fact, I believe it's now out of business). I wouldn't make any bets on this being the big one.
Old March 11 2011, 12:47 AM   #4
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Cmdr Shepard wrote: View Post
Greatest discover ever.
If confirmed.

Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist [sic] would say that this is impossible.”
This is patently untrue, as astrobiology is pretty much hot stuff in the world of astronomy. I've attended a few workshops about it, and people are very open-minded about the possibility of life out there. They just want their research to be as flawless and robust as possible. Given the importance of the any possible discovery, it's the wisest approach.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
This researcher has made some pretty extravagant claims before and the Journal of Cosmology has published some questionable research (in fact, I believe it's now out of business). I wouldn't make any bets on this being the big one.
Well, I am a cosmologist, and in all honesty I've never heard of the Journal of Cosmology until today.

This is what wiki says about them:

wiki wrote:
While the journal describes itself as peer-reviewed several people have questioned the integrity of the process.

Particularly, the journal is accused of promoting fringe viewpoints on astrobiology, astrophysics and quantum physics.
EtA:

I've got a look at their website, and it doesn't look professional, at all. More like a personal webpage from the early 90s.

Also, they rebuked the criticism of Hoover's paper with the title "Have the Terrorist won?" Then they went on commenting that "only a few crackpots and charlatans have denounced Hoover study", and that "tremendous efforts have been made to shout [sic] down the truth, and the same crackpots, self-promoters, liars, and failures are quoted repeatedly in the media". Then they concluded the piece comparing themselves to Giordano Bruno, NASA to the Inquisition, calling the science communitym "raving lunatics", "frothing-at-the-mouth", "frightned and terrorized", "terrorists" and "lunatic fringe".

So... yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath about the legitimacy of this discovery. As they say: I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, but I'm delighted very rarely.

Last edited by iggy_pop; March 11 2011 at 01:04 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2011, 01:00 AM   #5
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sounds about right. I read about it in the Bad Astronomy Blog over at Discover.com.