Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 8 2010, 01:20 AM   #31
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

Re: iPad Owners: What was the first Star Trek title you bought/loaded?

One thing I haven't read in JWolf's comments is that after Apple agreed to the agency model pricing with publishers, the publishers (5 out of the big 6, including S&S) went around and basically forced other ebook sellers into the agency model--it's either the agency model or nothing.

That said, as far as I can tell, you still can't buy Star Trek ebooks from independent ebook sellers, such as BooksOnBoard, over a month later--you can only buy them from big name sellers, such as Amazon, Apple, Sony, and B&N, or from S&S directly. Not much choice right now.
Old May 8 2010, 03:07 AM   #32
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

JWolf wrote: View Post
You don't get it.
Oh, I get it. I just don't see how it's relevant. I use iBooks because it's convenient, and because it allows me to sync books via iTunes. It does what I need, why should I complain?

Now you have an eBook tethered to just the iPad.
So what? That's the only eBook reader I have. And, for the foreseeable future, the only one I *will* have.
Old March 9 2011, 11:37 AM   #33
Blackbird
Ensign

I know I'm dragging this thread up from the depths but it seams kind of relevant to my questions.

Does anyone know if it's possable to buy trek books for the Ipad in the U.K, and if so what is the general price for them?

Also, I notice that Ipad, unlike Kindle, can read any books aloud using their inbuilt screen reader Voice-over. Has anyone tried this with a trek book and if so how did it go?
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2011, 05:52 PM   #34
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

Blackbird wrote: View Post
Also, I notice that Ipad, unlike Kindle, can read any books aloud using their inbuilt screen reader Voice-over. Has anyone tried this with a trek book and if so how did it go?
Wow, I never knew that option existed. I had to turn the speech speed way down to be able to understand it, and controlling the iPad with voiceover mode on is quite difficult, but after figuring all that out, the voiceover isn't that bad. Since I don't have any problems with my eyes, I doubt I'll be using that feature, but it was reading Zero Sum Game well enough to be understood.
Old March 9 2011, 06:03 PM   #35
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Actually, Kindle also reads books aloud. It's not great, but it's also definitely "well enough to be understood."
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2011, 07:08 PM   #36
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Actually, Kindle also reads books aloud. It's not great, but it's also definitely "well enough to be understood."
Would you say they are suitable for a partially sighted (or even blind) person in this capacity?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2011, 07:09 PM   #37
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Would you say they are suitable for a partially sighted (or even blind) person in this capacity?
Probably.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2011, 09:53 PM   #38
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

I've only used a Kindle for all of about 5 minutes one time, and used the voiceover capability of my iPad for about 5 minutes this morning, but I'd be willing to bet the Kindle is better for reading for the blind, because of the sheer difficulty of controlling a touch screen vs the controls of the Kindle. Apple obviously put a lot of thought into the voiceover stuff, but it was a bear for me to use, and I could see the things I was trying to click.
Old March 10 2011, 06:43 AM   #39
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Has anyone read any of the Trek comics on iPad? If so, how would you say that experience was?
Old March 10 2011, 11:34 AM   #40
Blackbird
Ensign

sfroth wrote: View Post
I've only used a Kindle for all of about 5 minutes one time, and used the voiceover capability of my iPad for about 5 minutes this morning, but I'd be willing to bet the Kindle is better for reading for the blind, because of the sheer difficulty of controlling a touch screen vs the controls of the Kindle. Apple obviously put a lot of thought into the voiceover stuff, but it was a bear for me to use, and I could see the things I was trying to click.

Thanks for the input guys.

Just let me clarify something reguarding the Kindel in this situationn. Although it has audio output capability, it is down to the publishers to decide whether or not it is enabled for a perticular title. This is beecause when it first came out the publishers wern't happy claiming that it would effect the sales of audio books! Rather than make a fight of it Amazon just gave them the option to deny this feature to users if they so chose. As a result just about all of the latest trek books do not have audio output enabled for the Kindle. This is why I was looking at the Ipad as they clame they can read all-comers.

I think that there are ways to use the Ipad when voice-over is activated but I only know this from reading up, Ive never even held an Ipad before mutch less tried to use it. As I am blind I dont relish the idea of working with a touch screen, although I'm sure I'll figure it out. Especially since it looks like it's going to be my best chance of reading trek lit.
Old March 10 2011, 07:22 PM   #41
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input guys.

Just let me clarify something reguarding the Kindel in this situationn. Although it has audio output capability, it is down to the publishers to decide whether or not it is enabled for a perticular title. This is beecause when it first came out the publishers wern't happy claiming that it would effect the sales of audio books! Rather than make a fight of it Amazon just gave them the option to deny this feature to users if they so chose. As a result just about all of the latest trek books do not have audio output enabled for the Kindle. This is why I was looking at the Ipad as they clame they can read all-comers.

I think that there are ways to use the Ipad when voice-over is activated but I only know this from reading up, Ive never even held an Ipad before mutch less tried to use it. As I am blind I dont relish the idea of working with a touch screen, although I'm sure I'll figure it out. Especially since it looks like it's going to be my best chance of reading trek lit.
Glad to help. The stuff I found on the web said that publishers have the ability to disable voiceover in an iBook. I buy my books from B&N and remove the DRM so I can read in iBooks, so I can't guarantee that a book purchased from the iBooks store would allow voiceover. Like I said, Apple seems to have put a lot of thought into voiceover - it will read the names of apps to you when you tap them on the home screen, and most Apple-sourced apps have voiceover support built in (according to the web site). My biggest problem with using it was discovering how to get iBooks to read more than just a single line at a time, and navigation - double tap, triple tap, two finger twist, two finger drag, tapping in the right spot. The actions never seemed to do the same thing, and only did what I wanted about a quarter of the time. Once you got used to it, though, it would probably be easier.
Old March 10 2011, 10:16 PM   #42
JWolf
Commodore

Just remember, if you buy Star Trek eBooks from Apple, you've locked yourself in big time. You cannot strip the DRM. You cannot view them without iBooks.

But, if you use the txtr, Bluefire, or B&N apps, you can buy from other shops and strip the DRM. So your investments are not lost if you ever move away from Apple.
Old March 10 2011, 10:49 PM   #43
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander

Just remember, if you buy Star Trek eBooks from Apple, you've locked yourself in big time. You cannot strip the DRM. You cannot view them without iBooks.
I've got an iPad and an iPhone but I don't buy anything from their book or music store for this reason. In a couple of years I may have switched to Android, I don't want to have to repurchase content I've already paid for.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2011, 12:48 PM   #44
Blackbird
Ensign

But, if you use the txtr, Bluefire, or B&N apps, you can buy from other shops and strip the DRM. So your investments are not lost if you ever move away from Apple.

The ideal option for me would be if I could just buy the e-books from somewhere, strip the DRM and convert them to txt files. Then I could just read them using my existing screen reader software.

Unfortunately, for me, I have no idea how to go about removing DRM.
Old March 11 2011, 12:48 PM   #45
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

Kataaran wrote: View Post
I've got an iPad and an iPhone but I don't buy anything from their book or music store for this reason. In a couple of years I may have switched to Android, I don't want to have to repurchase content I've already paid for.
I thought iTune music is now DRM-free?
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote