Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 10 2011, 10:46 AM   #46
MLJames
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Decent movie versions of classic novels

A better take on the "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper" idea is A Study In Terror, a British film from 1965 with John Neville as Holmes. It's more of a classic mystery than Murder By Decree, and it lacks all that drivel about the Masons and Queen Victoria's grandson. I don't know if it's been released on DVD or BR, though, and it's been a long time since I saw it.

Getting back to the faithful adaptations theme, it's not exactly a classic, but I'd recommend checking out the BBC version of The Day Of The Triffids. It's much closer to Wyndham's novel than the early 60s theatrical version with Howard Keel. I first caught that on A&E in the early 80s (back before the channel forgot that A&E stood for Arts & Entertainment), and I waited 20 years before BBC brought it and the Louis Jourdan Count Dracula out on home video.
Old March 10 2011, 12:51 PM   #47
Lonemagpie
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

The idea that Mina is the likeness of Vlad's long-lost love seems to date back to the 1970's tv version with Jack Palance, scripted by Richard Matheson.

Although, of course, this concept has also been a staple of mummy movies since day one, so it could have just been imported for there.
Actually that staple of Mummy movies is also a Bram Stoker creation - it originated from his Jewel Of The Seven Stars.

Good point. I actually reprinted Jewel at Tor several years ago, with a gorgeous Boris Vallejo cover. Alas, nobody has yet to make a really good version of that book yet. (The Hammer version is better than the Charlton Heston version, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that either of them is really a good movie!)
The Hammer version did have the problem, IIRC, of the original director dropping dead half way through, and thoroughly buggering up the production...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 05:30 PM   #48
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Actually that staple of Mummy movies is also a Bram Stoker creation - it originated from his Jewel Of The Seven Stars.

Good point. I actually reprinted Jewel at Tor several years ago, with a gorgeous Boris Vallejo cover. Alas, nobody has yet to make a really good version of that book yet. (The Hammer version is better than the Charlton Heston version, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that either of them is really a good movie!)
The Hammer version did have the problem, IIRC, of the original director dropping dead half way through, and thoroughly buggering up the production...
True and didn't Peter Cushing drop out at the last minute as well? After his wife died?

(For the uninitiated, we're talking about BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB, which was later remade as THE AWAKENING.)

Although, now that I think of it, sure, there's a reincarnation angle in Jewel of Seven Stars, but it's not the long-lost-love-reborn angle that the later mummy movies (and Dracula adaptations) have milked.

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 10 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 06:55 PM   #49
Lonemagpie
Writer

True and didn't Peter Cushing drop out at the last minute as well? After his wife died?
That was round about the same time, so probably

(For the uninitiated, we're talking about BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB, which was later remade as THE AWAKENING.)

Although, now that I think of it, sure, there's a reincarnation angle in Jewel of Seven Stars, but it's not the long-lost-love-reborn angle that the later mummy movies (and Dracula adaptations) have milked.
I remember it as being the same angle, but I'll admit to not having read it for a couple of decades. I do have a 1970s copy in the spare room, though, so I might dig it out if I can find it.

Old March 10 2011, 07:07 PM   #50
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

That was round about the same time, so probably

I remember it as being the same angle, but I'll admit to not having read it for a couple of decades. I do have a 1970s copy in the spare room, though, so I might dig it out if I can find it.
As I recall, the archaeologist's daughter turns out to have been possessed by the spirit of the evil Egyptian queen at birth, so it's more of a possession story than a reincarnated lovers story. (The daughter has a suitor in the manner of the Jonathan Harker, but that's about it. There's no timeless love story.)

And I believe Andrew Keir replaced Cushing at the last minute.

Just to bring things back OT, Jewel of Seven Stars is Bram Stoker's second-most famous book, after Dracula, and probably the only one of his other novels that is still readable these days.

Trust me, the movie version of Lair of the White Worm is much better than the original novel . . . .
Old March 10 2011, 08:41 PM   #51
Lonemagpie
Writer

Just to bring things back OT, Jewel of Seven Stars is Bram Stoker's second-most famous book, after Dracula, and probably the only one of his other novels that is still readable these days.

Trust me, the movie version of Lair of the White Worm is much better than the original novel . . . .
Mm mm... Amanda Donohoe naked....

To be fair, Stoker was dying at the time, having had at least a couple of strokes by 1911...

Old March 10 2011, 09:37 PM   #52
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

To be fair, Stoker was dying at the time, having had at least a couple of strokes by 1911...
Oh, yeah, there are definitely extenuating circumstances, but Jewel is still a fun read, but I couldn't really recommend Worm to anyone but Stoker completists. (The less said about The Lady of the Shroud, the better!)
Old March 10 2011, 10:05 PM   #53
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

We all had a couple of strokes to Amanda Donohue naked.
Old March 10 2011, 11:31 PM   #54
JD
Admiral

I just watched the FFC Dracula again today after picking up the Collectors Edition for $7.50 at Target.

As for the current discussion, I didn't know Stoker wrote any books other than Dracula.
Old March 10 2011, 11:42 PM   #55
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I just watched the FFC Dracula again today after picking up the Collectors Edition for $7.50 at Target.

As for the current discussion, I didn't know Stoker wrote any books other than Dracula.
Stoker was a fairly prolific author, although he would probably be forgotten if not for Dracula. He also wrote a number of good, spooky short stories, notably "The Judge's House" and "The Squaw" and "Dracula's Guest."

Funny: Stoker's original obituary in the London Times made only brief reference to Dracula and predicted that he would be best remembered for his two-volume memoir regarding the noted Victorian actor, Henry Irving. (Stoker was only a part-time writer. His real career, for most of his life, was running the Lyceum Theater in London.)

Nowadays, of course, nobody remembers his magnum opus: Life of Irving.
Old March 11 2011, 01:55 AM   #56
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I saw that he ran the Lyceum while I was skimming his page on wikipedia. Fun Little Easter Egg: In the scene where Mina and Dracula first meet on the streets of London in FFC's Dracula, there is an ad for the Lyceum in the background. I'm assuming this was done on purpose as a reference Stoker's other career.
Old March 11 2011, 08:53 AM   #57
Harvey
Admiral

The best version of Frankenstein on screen is either Birde of Frankenstein or Young Frankenstein (which are a lot closer in tone than you might think).

The filmed version with the most fidelity to the novel would probably be the 2004 miniseries version starring Alec Newman. It's not bad.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 06:30 PM   #58
JD
Admiral

I just added another book to my list the chinese epic, Journey to the West. I found an abridged version of Anthony C. Yu's translation available for the Nook. It appears to have been abridged by Yu himself, so hopefully it should still be pretty good. If I like the abridged version, I might try to track down the full four volume version.
Old March 13 2011, 12:04 AM   #59
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There's never been a faithful adaptation of Tarzan. I've mixed feelings about the Disney version. The knuckle walking Tarzan turns me off almost as much as monosyballic Tarzan does

The first book has a great final line:

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote:
"If it's any of my business, how the devil did you ever get into that bally jungle?"

"I was born there," said Tarzan, quietly. "My mother was an Ape, and of course she couldn't tell me much about it. I never knew who my father was."
He says this to the man who he knows has taken his inheritance ( the Greystoke name ) and the woman he loves. ( Jane of course)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; March 13 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2011, 01:08 AM   #60
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Apocalypse Now is fantastic, of course.

(The Heart of Darkness adaptation with Tim Roth and John Malkovich is also pretty good.)

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote