Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 6 2011, 08:50 PM   #631
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Last night, we bought about 70 bucks worth of groceries.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 09:58 PM   #632
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
And while I didn't actually make this purchase, my new job bought me a Blackberry Torch with a full data plan.
Welcome to the modern workplace's version of a permanently-shackled ball & chain. If you've never had a job that provides you with a cellphone before, my strong advice is to turn it off the instant you go off-duty (unless you have a clear cast-iron contractual obligation to be contactable) and never ever check work email or phone messages until you turn it on again at the start of the next working day.

Use a personal phone out of hours, and never ever reveal that number to anyone at work.
Oh, that's definitely the plan...although, really, I'd like to find a way to switch the phone numbers between the two phones. The one work bought me is way better than my personal phone!
If they're both on the same network, you just switch SIM cards around. If not, you'd have to unlock the phone before you could do that.

In other parts of the world, there are dual-SIM phones, so you can have two numbers on one phone. They're not popular in the West because the business model here is different, and no operator wants to subsidise a phone used by a different operator... but I rather like the idea of a dual-SIM to manage work/private lines and hope they eventually make it to our shores in a good smartphone.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 10:08 PM   #633
RoJoHen
Awesome

If they're both on the same network, you just switch SIM cards around. If not, you'd have to unlock the phone before you could do that.
Yeah, but my personal phone isn't a smartphone, so it doesn't have a data plan or anything. I need to find a way to switch the SIM cards without my personal phone getting charged for the data.

In other parts of the world, there are dual-SIM phones, so you can have two numbers on one phone. They're not popular in the West because the business model here is different, and no operator wants to subsidise a phone used by a different operator... but I rather like the idea of a dual-SIM to manage work/private lines and hope they eventually make it to our shores in a good smartphone.
Yeah, this sounds awesome. I was trying to figure out if there was a way I could just get all my personal calls/texts forwarded to my new number.
Old March 6 2011, 10:34 PM   #634
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Yeah, but my personal phone isn't a smartphone, so it doesn't have a data plan or anything. I need to find a way to switch the SIM cards without my personal phone getting charged for the data.
The data plan goes with the SIM, I think.

So if you use the work SIM in your personal phone, you shouldn't get charged for data.

Equally though, you would get charged for any data use you use on the BB with your personal SIM.

I think that's how it works, anyway.

Yeah, this sounds awesome.
The even better thing about them is that you can switch off one SIM, but leave the other working. So when you clock off, you can turn off the work SIM but still receive personal calls, for instance. It really does solve a lot of problems for those who have to carry work phones.

Thankfully, I don't need to do that anymore, but I will probably need a private second line again in a couple of years time if a particular project gets off the ground. I'll probably import an unlocked dual-SIM then, if they don't make it to our shores by then.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 10:38 PM   #635
RoJoHen
Awesome

Equally though, you would get charged for any data use you use on the BB with your personal SIM.
This is the part that concerns me. I don't want to get charged a lot of extra money for using the data features on my BB without having them covered in my personal plan.

I'll probably import an unlocked dual-SIM then, if they don't make it to our shores by then.
I may have to look into this.
Old March 6 2011, 10:41 PM   #636
SG-17
Commodore

I got the leatherbound Barnes and Nobles exclusive republishing of Jurassic Park and the Lost World (both in one) a few days ago.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 04:25 AM   #637
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Now now, let's not forget the penis-shaped lollypops.
We had straws, not lollipops. Also other games. I won one.

Seriously though, I'm too old for this stuff. I ditched around midnight and came back to work on a paper, then hung out with them when they came back here. But clubs just don't do it for me at all anymore. On the other hand, I got an opportunity to wear my new cowboy hat out. Not really many occasions for that!
Old March 7 2011, 01:50 PM   #638
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I picked up a DvD of Black Dynamite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUc2rnwcTdw
Old March 7 2011, 02:38 PM   #639
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

An investment:

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 03:35 PM   #640
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
An investment:

What kind of tool set is that? Looks pretty suspicious to me.

ETA: w00t! Mail just arrived and in it, ST: TAS.

Last edited by Yeo-ho-homan Randi; March 7 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 04:25 PM   #641
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
An investment:

What kind of tool set is that? Looks pretty suspicious to me.
It's a computer repair tool kit. I've also got an anti-static wristband on the way, as I'm tired of being the cause of electrified computer destruction.

ETA: w00t! Mail just arrived and in it, ST: TAS.
Oh, TAS is awesome. Magicks of Megas-Tu and Yesteryear for the win!
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
Old March 7 2011, 04:47 PM   #642
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kestra wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I got an opportunity to wear my new cowboy hat out. Not really many occasions for that!
You mean you didn't have a sombrero?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 08:45 PM   #643
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile

I've also got an anti-static wristband on the way, as I'm tired of being the cause of electrified computer destruction.
Are you one of those...?
I had a friend who could turn on computers by imposing her hands on them. Pretty spooky, but a great party trick!
Old March 7 2011, 08:58 PM   #644
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Niorah wrote: View Post
I've also got an anti-static wristband on the way, as I'm tired of being the cause of electrified computer destruction.
Are you one of those...?
I had a friend who could turn on computers by imposing her hands on them. Pretty spooky, but a great party trick!
I could never turn desktops on, but laptops yes, and I could shut them both off like that.
Old March 7 2011, 09:13 PM   #645
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I'm typing this on my new Mac laptop which arrived today, and since I'm a computer moron and have only ever used Windows since 1993 I don't actually know what the hell I'm doing.