Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 25 2011, 12:38 AM   #46
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Has TNG Been Remastered?

TNG would be so fucking awesome on blu ray.

They'd be going from this:

to this:

JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 01:56 AM   #47
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

They'd be stretching the page all out of whack? Well that would suck.
Old February 25 2011, 03:15 AM   #48
RAMA
Vice Admiral

But an effective demonstration...no visible lines of resolution and 1920x1080 pixels...this image on here is actually smaller than that.

RAMA
Old February 26 2011, 05:10 AM   #49
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

If they do this, and they decide to create new CG effects, whatever. If they do this and they don't... whatever. I just want TNG to look and sound as excellent as the TOS blu-ray sets do. The detail and color are astonishing. I would love to see the modern Trek shows presented like that.
Old March 4 2011, 12:32 AM   #50
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
If they do this, and they decide to create new CG effects, whatever. If they do this and they don't... whatever. I just want TNG to look and sound as excellent as the TOS blu-ray sets do. The detail and color are astonishing. I would love to see the modern Trek shows presented like that.
Well that means a total "remastering" along the lines we are suggesting.
Old March 4 2011, 12:57 AM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The spaceships have all been shot on film, and they are of excellent quality, as the above image shows. So if they redo all the VFX with crappy CGI, I won't buy it. The CGI in TOS-R was an enhancement over the blurry and noisy VFX. But CGI certainly won't be an enhancement over the TNG effects.
Old March 4 2011, 05:47 PM   #52
Flake
Commodore

The ILM farpoint &opening sequence effects would look nice yes but I doubt the rest of the effects would hold up very well at 1080p especially any with the 4ft model.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2011, 05:53 PM   #53
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The spaceships have all been shot on film, and they are of excellent quality, as the above image shows. So if they redo all the VFX with crappy CGI, I won't buy it. The CGI in TOS-R was an enhancement over the blurry and noisy VFX. But CGI certainly won't be an enhancement over the TNG effects.
The effects will need to be redone for 1080p... not just because of quality, but for the sake of introducing more variety into the sfx.
Old March 4 2011, 06:08 PM   #54
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The effects will need to be redone for 1080p... not just because of quality, but for the sake of introducing more variety into the sfx.
Err... who made the rule that it needs more variety in the VFX? I'd rather have the exact same shots over an over again from the original run in the quality I posted above, just like they have been in the original episodes, than a thousand different new shots in TOS-R quality.
Old March 4 2011, 06:54 PM   #55
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Err... who made the rule that it needs more variety in the VFX? I'd rather have the exact same shots over an over again from the original run in the quality I posted above, just like they have been in the original episodes, than a thousand different new shots in TOS-R quality.
Just a personal preference. I've seen all the episodes many, many times and would like TNG to receive the same reworking the TOS received.
Old March 5 2011, 04:04 PM   #56
RAMA
Vice Admiral

You don't get it...as many still have not...the CGI was understated to LOOK like it may have originated out of the 1960s, except executed with computers. It was not meant to look like crisp, state-of-the-art ST:Enterpise FX. STNG would have FX appropriate to the "modern age". They would most likely even have higher detail than Enterprise.

RAMA
Old March 5 2011, 05:54 PM   #57
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
You don't get it...as many still have not...the CGI was understated to LOOK like it may have originated out of the 1960s, except executed with computers. It was not meant to look like crisp, state-of-the-art ST:Enterpise FX. STNG would have FX appropriate to the "modern age". They would most likely even have higher detail than Enterprise.

RAMA
Ugh, please don't get me started on ST: Enterprise CGI...
Old March 7 2011, 10:39 PM   #58
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA
Ugh, please don't get me started on ST: Enterprise CGI...
Point being they are the most up to date and in HD of all the ST franchises...whatever your personal opinion is of the series(the very same series that was nominated for 7 FX emmy's including 3 in one year, and also nominated for 4 VES awards in 3 years, winning 3 of them!).

RAMA
Old March 7 2011, 11:31 PM   #59
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I probably wouldn't buy it if it wasn't reimagined with CGI. The model work is great for the age (and I'd like them as an option) but a lot of the model space scenes seem so empty compared to CGI renders. DS9's WOTW really pushed the model work to its limits.
Old March 9 2011, 06:20 PM   #60
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

RAMA
Hey, as long as it isn't the same 6 or 7 shots they used through the series, bully.