RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 720
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 2 2011, 11:32 PM   #811
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

The League of Shadows returning for TDKR doesn't surprise me at all, if this is indeed meant to be Nolan's final Batman film. It makes sense that he'd want to bring things full circle and end the Batman story he wanted to tell.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 01:02 AM   #812
Christopher
Writer

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I know it sounds like it wouldn't fit with the naturalism of Nolan's films, but when you've built up "realism capital" the way these movies have, you could spend it on one big bit of fantasy.
Ohh, Nolan blew every last bit of realism capital with that microwave generator that was somehow powerful enough to instantly vaporize all the water in the city's sewers and yet had no effect on the water in human bodies, induced no electric currents or discharges in the city's metal, etc. Not to mention, why bother engineering the fear toxin into a waterborne form and then vaporize all the water? Why not just make it a gas in the first place?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 01:31 AM   #813
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I know it sounds like it wouldn't fit with the naturalism of Nolan's films, but when you've built up "realism capital" the way these movies have, you could spend it on one big bit of fantasy.
Ohh, Nolan blew every last bit of realism capital with that microwave generator that was somehow powerful enough to instantly vaporize all the water in the city's sewers and yet had no effect on the water in human bodies, induced no electric currents or discharges in the city's metal, etc. Not to mention, why bother engineering the fear toxin into a waterborne form and then vaporize all the water? Why not just make it a gas in the first place?
Not to mention Joker's magical ability to go everywhere undetected and plant massive amounts of explosives that no one ever finds until he's ready to detonate them.
Old March 3 2011, 03:41 AM   #814
Dark Gilligan
Writer

But... but... he's the Joker!
Old March 3 2011, 04:31 AM   #815
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
If we do see a return of The League of Shadows, I sure hope we see a return of Ra's al Ghul.
Not gonna happen (Ra's returning). Neeson's already confirmed this.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 05:14 AM   #816
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Considering the genre hes using, Nolan has found a very good realism level combined with the comic book aspect.

After watching this, Robin Williams would make a good Hugo Strange IMO...

Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 04:03 PM   #817
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Considering the genre hes using, Nolan has found a very good realism level combined with the comic book aspect.

After watching this, Robin Williams would make a good Hugo Strange IMO...

Who was the guy in the mask that wasn't Batman or Catwoman? What movie was that taken from?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 06:01 PM   #818
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
If we do see a return of The League of Shadows, I sure hope we see a return of Ra's al Ghul.
Not gonna happen (Ra's returning). Neeson's already confirmed this.
"Theatricality and deception are powerful weapons".
Old March 3 2011, 07:23 PM   #819
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Neeson's denial came as a response to a pointed and deliberate inquiry on the subject of whether or not he'd be playing Ra's in TDKR. I see absolutely no reason for him to blatantly lie about whether or not he was involved (if he was involved, it would make more sense for him to play coy, not blatantly deny being involved). If you're not willing to take Neeson at his word, then prepare to be disapointed when TDKR comes out and hes' not involved (especially if this rumored plot synopsis turns out to be true).

Edit: There's also the fact that Neeson will be filming Clash of the Titans 2 at the same time that TDKR will be shooting.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 07:25 PM   #820
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I don't really want him or the LOS to return but I'm willing to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt as regards the villains and plots for TDKR.
Old March 3 2011, 08:49 PM   #821
Too Much Fun
Commodore

If Talia, Selena Kyle/Catwoman, Bane, and some villain played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt are all in the movie, they have too many characters already and the presence of Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul would just be unnecessary clutter. I know Nolan juggled multiple villains fairly well before with Ra's Al Ghul, Falcone, and Scarecrow in the first one and The Joker, Two-Face, and Maroni in the second one, but five would be overkill.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 09:01 PM   #822
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Nolan has shown in the past, most recently with "Inception" that he can work with multiple characters extremely well. The reason why I think fans complain about the use of multiple villains in past superhero villains is because the director and writers of those films weren't able to make them work. Nolan has shown that he can.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 09:19 PM   #823
Aeon
Commander

In my opinion after several viewings is that multiple villains didn't work too well with The Dark Knight. Two-Face felt somewhat mishandled at the end. Also overall I have to say that the mood of the movie was way too brooding, bordering overdramatic, and also some plot points (like Gordon faking his death) were unnecessary.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 09:30 PM   #824
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'll agree about Harvey. Then again the original plan was for Harvey to become Two-Face at the end of the second movie and then the third would focus fully on Two-Face. Things changed during production I believe. JA can correct me on this.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2011, 03:03 AM   #825
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'll agree about Harvey. Then again the original plan was for Harvey to become Two-Face at the end of the second movie and then the third would focus fully on Two-Face. Things changed during production I believe. JA can correct me on this.
If I remember during the writing process Nolan decided against that idea, I guess he wasn't sure about doing a 3rd movie at the time and wanted it all resloved. There was talk about a planned Joker cameo in 3rd movie until Heaths death I believe.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote