Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 2 2011, 05:44 AM   #271
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

I just put a cobblestone block in place of a glass block every couple of meters, it's the only way to place torches down there as far as I can tell. It looks really good at night from above, seeing the glow from under the water.
Old March 2 2011, 06:10 AM   #272
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I can imagine. I might try doing something different by making lightpoles from the outside.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 08:39 AM   #273
Reverend
Rear Admiral

For future reference, it's much easier when building underwater structures if you build them in dirt or gravel first. Then once you've placed the glass layer around whatever mould you have it's just a simple matter or hollowing it out. There's also a trick you can do with ladders to create an airlock so you can get in from above without flooding the thing.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 03:59 PM   #274
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Is it possible to detonate the TNT in the free version of Minecraft? It would seriously help if I could simply blow up the hill in front of my castle instead of removing it block by block.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 04:02 PM   #275
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Is it possible to detonate the TNT in the free version of Minecraft? It would seriously help if I could simply blow up the hill in front of my castle instead of removing it block by block.
I don't believe so. The free version (Creative Mode) doesn't have any "gameplay" to it. You can just place and remove blocks and that's it.

Shit, the game doesn't cost that much, just buy it! If you enjoy it you will get tons of hours of gameplay at 1/3 the cost of a typical game.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 04:41 PM   #276
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Oh, looks like the guys have already helped with your glass tunnel problem Owain. I hope you won't give up. I love underwater viewports. Now if only Notch would give us some fish and water plants.

Speaking of water, heres my dillema. Actually its not QUITE this bad anymore, but still pretty rough.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...7_08.09.38.png

Not much accomplished today. I straightened out my trackway,

and spruced my room up a bit (bunk bed ftw!).

Oh, and heres a shot of my main mineshaft down to the diamond layer. The only opening is a single block where the ladder touches the surface. With blocks on either side, when you slip through the opening, you basically slide all the way down to the bottom with no problem. Perfectly safe too unless you intentionally jump off. Overhead theres a matching glass skylight in the roof to keep things well lit during the day. And you can turn the camera upside down and pretend you're flying down the Death Star trench on the way down.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Shit, the game doesn't cost that much, just buy it! If you enjoy it you will get tons of hours of gameplay at 1/3 the cost of a typical game.
Yeah, the free version is basically a sandbox game as far as I could tell. I'll second second what Robert said. I think its still selling for like $14 US. Definately a bargain, plus you get free frequent updates. Not to mention you'll be helping supporting indy game design. 1.3 million players can't be wrong.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; March 2 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 05:21 PM   #277
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I remember being really unsure about the game, thinking that there wouldn't be much gameplay in placing blocks, so I gave the creative version a go on the website. An hour later, I had an underground canal from one side of the island to the other, along with bridges alongside. From that point, I knew I had to buy it in order to gather resources, run from monsters and explore an infinite world.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
You can turn the camera upside down and pretend you're flying down the Death Star trench on the way down.
Glad I'm not the only person that does that.
Old March 2 2011, 06:07 PM   #278
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I was also not convinced of its appeal until I played around with it online, but then this thread came up and I saw what you guys were doing and I decided to give it a shot. I definitely haven't regretted it.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old March 2 2011, 07:31 PM   #279
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I think its still selling for like $14 US.
Not quite. From the site:
When Minecraft is finished, it will sell for €20.00.
If you pre-purchase now during beta, you pay just €14.95!
That's about $21 right now. I do have a question though, since I'm not sure how the full version works. If my son & I both wanted to play, would we need to buy one copy and have two logins, or do we need two copies? How does that work?
Old March 2 2011, 07:35 PM   #280
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

B.J. wrote: View Post
I think its still selling for like $14 US.
Not quite. From the site:
When Minecraft is finished, it will sell for €20.00.
If you pre-purchase now during beta, you pay just €14.95!
That's about $21 right now. I do have a question though, since I'm not sure how the full version works. If my son & I both wanted to play, would we need to buy one copy and have two logins, or do we need two copies? How does that work?
Depends. You can both play offline (Survival Single Player) with the same login, but only one of you could play online (Survival Multi-Player) at a time with a single login.
Old March 2 2011, 07:44 PM   #281
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Crap. Well, considering my gaming habits, that wouldn't be too big a problem.
Old March 2 2011, 08:32 PM   #282
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the help, guys! Everything is working great now
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 01:21 PM   #283
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

My bad. Coulda sworn it was $14 when I bought mine around the end of January. Or maybe my memory just isn't what it used to be.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Thanks for the help, guys! Everything is working great now
Hooray!

Haven't had a chance to play any today, as I'm worried I might have someone hacking my computer.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; March 3 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old March 3 2011, 04:18 PM   #284
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^It probably was. I think the price went up when they entered beta.
Old March 3 2011, 05:34 PM   #285
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Decided to play a little before I headed off to bed. Woot! Found a zombie dungeon down in my diamond mine. got my first record (#13) and saddle! I'm goin' ridin' later today. Yeeehaw!

A shame saddled pigs and dyed sheep respawn overnight. The scenery around my base would be mighty interesting.