RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 524
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 2 2011, 12:00 AM   #256
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

^It'd be easier to just fill it with dirt and then remove the dirt than running back and forth with buckets.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 01:16 AM   #257
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, cover the water with dirt and that'll get rid of it. When you pick the dirt up the water should be gone.
Old March 2 2011, 02:56 AM   #258
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Do I have to cover it all the way? Cause it's quite a long tunnel, making it easy to drown in before I get the job done.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 03:18 AM   #259
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, you only have to cover the "spring" blocks (the ones that look like still water). Any "running" water will automatically dissipate if you cover the spring block. If it's all underwater, though, you are going to have to block up the whole thing because they're all spring blocks.

Can you take a screenie or something to show us how bad it is?
Old March 2 2011, 03:26 AM   #260
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah, getting rid of water is fairly easy. Its trying to level it out that I have trouble with. Theres an inlet near my house that looks more like white water rapids than a section of ocean. Haven't been able to figure out how to level it.

Let us know how things go with the portal, Robert. The Nether is an interesting place to say the least.

And if you guys are willing the make your servers public, I'd love to visit. Single player is fun, but it gets a bit lonely sometimes, knowing you're the only person in the world.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2011, 03:29 AM   #261
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Yeah, getting rid of water is fairly easy. Its trying to level it out that I have trouble with. Theres an inlet near my house that looks more like white water rapids than a section of ocean. Haven't been able to figure out how to level it.

Let us know how things go with the portal, Robert. The Nether is an interesting place to say the least.

And if you guys are willing the make your servers public, I'd love to visit. Single player is fun, but it gets a bit lonely sometimes, knowing you're the only person in the world.
I figured out through trial and error how to make springs in an arbitrary body of water. Basically, you have to place water in a checkerboard pattern.

If you don't know how to make an infinite spring, it's easy. Gather up 2 buckets of water, dig a 2x2x1 hole, then dump one bucket into one corner, and the other bucket in the diagonally-opposite corner. Voila! You can pick up water from this hole as many times as you want and it will never go away. And when you want to get rid of it, just fill with dirt (or whatever) and it's gone.

I usually do that then get 9 buckets of water to go around leveling things off. I had to do that for the moat around my castle.
Old March 2 2011, 03:47 AM   #262
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Here we go. I took one from both ends. For all I know, I'm probably committing one of the basic errors

And I don't know if this will help, but here's a shot from above. You can see one of the entrances:

Old March 2 2011, 03:50 AM   #263
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Yikes. I think you're fucked, dude. You're probably going to have to fill the whole thing with dirt and then excavate it again.
Old March 2 2011, 04:04 AM   #264
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'm likely going to have to abandon the idea. It's just too long a tunnel to be able to fill it all with dirt, because I can only reach both ends. As soon as I get further into the tunnel, I get the air meter. If I put any dirt blocks and then take them out again, it just fills back up with water.
Old March 2 2011, 04:49 AM   #265
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I had a similar problem when I built a pontoon dock and it was a right mess. I figured out that you have to place a dirt (or whatever) block under the top water block, then it should level out and you can remove the dirt block.

The rapids can be useful though, I use them at my docks to keep the boats from floating away.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'm likely going to have to abandon the idea. It's just too long a tunnel to be able to fill it all with dirt, because I can only reach both ends. As soon as I get further into the tunnel, I get the air meter. If I put any dirt blocks and then take them out again, it just fills back up with water.
Nah, it should be doable, but it will take about 10 minutes. I had the same problem when I made my underwater tunnel, just do it bit by bit and the water will eventually go away. At least you don't have an 8x6x4 underwater glass station like me, that took me 20 minutes to clear of water in mine.

Old March 2 2011, 04:53 AM   #266
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that does look pretty similar to what I have. How did you end up going further and further in? Are you saying I have to wait 10 minutes before I take the blocks out?
Old March 2 2011, 05:04 AM   #267
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

No, you just need to block it off incrementally. Go in 4 blocks, build a 2x2 dirt "wall" there, then come back out. Then fill in from 3 blocks in, 2 blocks in and 1 block in. Then remove all the dirt blocks. Water will come in from the 5th block out, but it wont create any source water blocks. Push past the current of water and go in another 4 blocks and repeat the pattern until that section is clear of blocks. Keep repeating until you reach the other side of the tunnel. It's a boring process and the current will always be against you, but it's doable. With a tunnel that size, it should only be about 10 minutes.
Old March 2 2011, 05:10 AM   #268
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ahh, I see. Ok. I'll try that. Thanks It's funny. I didn't think that with it closed off like that that there'd be flowing water from within it.
Old March 2 2011, 05:22 AM   #269
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Logically, there shouldn't be, but Minecraft's water defies logic.
Old March 2 2011, 05:37 AM   #270
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

So far, it seems to be working I noticed you put stone blocks to hold torches. How does that work? I mean, you've attached the stone to the outside, but it looks like the torch is holding from inside.