Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 26 2011, 04:08 AM   #601
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Latest rumor...Viggo is wanted for Zod, despite the fact that Snyder said months ago now that Zod would not be in the film lol.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Viggo...man-23376.html

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2011, 04:25 AM   #602
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Here's the original report.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2011, 02:02 PM   #603
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

So much for the radical departure from the Donnerverse. Another origin story which features General Zod? Admittedly, the execution could all be different but this is hardly groundbreaking stuff.

One report also suggests that Daniel Day-Lewis is on the Zod wishlist. As I recall, Nolan apparently offered both him and Mortensen the role which Liam Neeson ultimately played in Batman Begins. All in all, this just isn't really striking me as the most imaginative of pictures, though obviously it's very, very early to be judging it.
Old February 26 2011, 03:46 PM   #604
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Latino Review has hinted that the film will deal with Kryptonian mythology and that it'll include Brainiac. I can certainly see Zod, Ursa, and Brainiac being in one film. The presence of Brainiac would go a long way to allay any feelings of been there, done that. Hopefully that's the way it'll pan out.
Old February 26 2011, 03:54 PM   #605
Gojira
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Latest rumor...Viggo is wanted for Zod, despite the fact that Snyder said months ago now that Zod would not be in the film lol.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Viggo...man-23376.html
If Zod is indeed in this movie, and I would be fine with that, then Viggo Mortensen would be an excellent choice!
Old February 26 2011, 05:56 PM   #606
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

You guys understand that these are rumors they're reporting right? That nothing except Henry Cavil as Superman is known about the film? Even the plot is rumored? Just wanted to check.

Just so no one thinks that I'm slagging the thread...I'll put in my two cents with the speculation as well. I think that what we will see is a film structured similarly to how "Batman Begins" was. If the rumors are true about showing Clark in Africa, then this will be an origin film that touches on his journey and how he becomes Superman. I've read about the Kryptonian mythology focus as well and that seems to be consistent with what DC has done with the character recently. Focusing on Krypton, etc.

If this is intended to be a trilogy then I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder casts people and uses them sporadically throughout the three films. Who knows. There are a number of ways we can take the casting rumors. I don't think we can judge the production yet. There's nothing to judge, that is what my point was above about talking about rumors. There's no real point in judging this film because we know almost absolutely nothing about it.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 26 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old February 26 2011, 06:25 PM   #607
Gojira
Commodore

I understand that these are rumors but they are fun to speculate about. If the Mortensen rumor is true I think it is a good idea.

Makes me wonder if internet rumors ever influence casting directors and producers and movie directors?
Old February 26 2011, 09:56 PM   #608
Aragorn
Admiral

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
Makes me wonder if internet rumors ever influence casting directors and producers and movie directors?
The only time I know for sure that something like that happened is when Stallone said 50 Cent was going to be in The Expendables. Then people started burning down the internet, and suddenly Terry Crews is in and 50 Cent is out. Even Crews talks about it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2011, 10:17 PM   #609
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure how much internet chatter goes into influencing casting decisions...directors and writers talk occasionally about seeing stuff on forums but I doubt they really talk stalk into what people are saying to really make changes based on it. I have long had a theory though that one of the reasons why studios don't come straight out and deny these rumors is that they enjoy fans talking and speculating about their films pre-production and production process. They probably think it garners more interest in their film.

Old February 26 2011, 11:37 PM   #610
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Dennis wrote: View Post
Here's the original report.
Three female roles, then. Lois, Martha, and Ursa?
Old February 27 2011, 04:23 AM   #611
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The origin story should only be done once. Doing it again is just a waste of screentime. I like how they handled it in the Edward Norton Hulk movie.

Making Superman dark is even dumber. He is not a dark character. Batman is dark, Daredevil is dark. Not Superman.

Last edited by DarthPipes; February 27 2011 at 05:11 PM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 04:40 AM   #612
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Oh, do the origin again. It's the only really great Superman story anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 05:06 AM   #613
Christopher
Writer

Dennis wrote: View Post
Oh, do the origin again. It's the only really great Superman story anyway.
There's at least one other great Superman story: the other end of his career. See "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and All-Star Superman. And I think there have been some pretty good stories between those endpoints.

There have been so many "origin story" superhero movies by now that it's becoming too cliched a trope. Audiences are too familiar with the hero-origin narrative by this point. I think it's time that movies started moving past origins, or covering them only briefly, and getting right into the thick of things.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 06:09 AM   #614
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Another origin story about the most famour origin story of the modern times? Does anyone in Hollywood know how to do a proper Superman story? Why the hell can't the producers hire any good comic book writers to write the friggin story??
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 11:14 AM   #615
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Okay. I'm gonna say this one more time. We do not know what the plot of the movie is going to be. It's been reported that it will be an origin movie, but we don't know yet. Already freaking out about it being an origin story serves no purpose. I think it makes logical sense since they're starting anew to include aspects of the origin.

@StarTrek1701 this movie reportedly is taking material from "Birthright" and other Superman stories. Just as "Batman Begins" did. I wouldn't be surprised if DC Ent has been consulting on this too. Geoff Johns "Superman: Secret Origin" is probably being used as well as consulting material.

Every time someone mentions the word "origin" in a movie thread someone freaks out...its quite annoying. The one time a superhero movie tried to go for an established world already people freaked out about it not having a proper origin "X-Men". So just settle down and let's wait until get get some facts about this thing