CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2011, 06:25 PM   #16
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: All-Star Superman Specs Announced

I just said the Blu-Ray has it, in the first line of my post and that I was pissed off the regular DVD did not.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Yes, the Blu-ray has it, but does the RENTAL Blu-ray have it as well as the FOR-SALE Blu-ray? You're not answering the question I'm actually asking.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I have no idea about the Rental Blu-Ray.

Old February 22 2011, 07:11 PM   #19
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yes, the Blu-ray has it, but does the RENTAL Blu-ray have it as well as the FOR-SALE Blu-ray? You're not answering the question I'm actually asking.
Probably. They tend not to make separate discs for rental market. When you've rented the DVD you were renting the single disc version which didn't included special features. You'd be missing the special features if you bought that version too. The Blu-Rays are all one disc, so if you rent it, then you should get everything on that disc.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, thanks.

EDIT: I just discovered something surprising. I read the cast list to All-Star Superman and saw that Dr. Leo Quintum is played by Alexis Denisof -- who is exactly the voice I heard in my head for that character when I read the comics. Wow.

Last edited by Christopher; February 22 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old February 22 2011, 08:12 PM   #21
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

My apologies Christopher, totally blanked out when I read your post and didn't see that you were specifically asking about the rental blu-ray.

Old February 22 2011, 08:35 PM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Probably. They tend not to make separate discs for rental market. When you've rented the DVD you were renting the single disc version which didn't included special features. You'd be missing the special features if you bought that version too. The Blu-Rays are all one disc, so if you rent it, then you should get everything on that disc.
They didn't early on, but I'm seeing it more and more now. Sometimes they even have "Rental" printed on the disc itself.

One movie I really wanted to see some special features for was Social Network, but all you get at either Redbox or Blockbuster is just the one, bare-bones disc.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 08:46 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
They didn't early on, but I'm seeing it more and more now. Sometimes they even have "Rental" printed on the disc itself.
Oh, okay, that's what I thought. So my question is still unanswered.

One question that maybe can be answered, though: if one has a conventional, non-HD television set, the kind with a picture tube rather than a flat screen, would there be any visible advantage in watching a Blu-ray disc rather than a conventional DVD?

Old February 22 2011, 08:58 PM   #24
davejames
Vice Admiral

One question that maybe can be answered, though: if one has a conventional, non-HD television set, the kind with a picture tube rather than a flat screen, would there be any visible advantage in watching a Blu-ray disc rather than a conventional DVD?
I'm no tech expert, but I can't imagine there would be. The best resolution those TV's could ever get was like 480 or something, and even DVD's were held back quite a bit from showing their ultimate resolution. So a blu-ray isn't going to make any difference at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Aw. This thread is being cluttered by technical questions. Perhaps I should have started a separate thread after all. Alexis does a great job as Dr. Quintim who is one of my favorite characters in "All Star Superman". This just had a really great cast.

Old February 22 2011, 09:37 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

I'm no tech expert, but I can't imagine there would be. The best resolution those TV's could ever get was like 480 or something, and even DVD's were held back quite a bit from showing their ultimate resolution. So a blu-ray isn't going to make any difference at all.
That's what I figured. Didn't hurt to ask, though.

Old February 22 2011, 11:12 PM   #27
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Of course all the good stuff is on the Blu-ray nowadays. They want you to adopt the new format, so they put all the goodies on there and usually leave the DVDs barebones.
Jar Jar Binks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 11:22 PM   #28
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Oh, okay, that's what I thought. So my question is still unanswered.

First screen technology has nothing to do with HD. I've seen CRT HDTVs and LCDs that are non-HD. But assuming you have a standard 640x480 resolution TV then you won't be able to see any benefit from Blu-ray.

Theoretically you can still here the uncompressed audio, but if you don't have an HDTV I'm going to assume you don't have decent speakers to hear the audio either.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 11:28 PM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Guys really...it sucks we can't edit the title of our posts, grrr! Kind of want discussion on the movie it's self not really technical commentary on the merits of Blu-Ray.

Old February 23 2011, 12:02 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Theoretically you can still here the uncompressed audio, but if you don't have an HDTV I'm going to assume you don't have decent speakers to hear the audio either.
I have a Sony A/V control center that the audio goes through to my "box" speakers, which are old but of reasonable quality, since they're used for my audio system as well. Because my TV doesn't have good speakers of its own, I generally just use it as a monitor for the cable signal that goes into my VCR.

Anyway, my questions about rental may have been moot. My local Blockbuster is closing (because the adjacent grocery store bought the lot, not because of the company's overall problems, purportedly) and isn't getting new videos anymore, and the next-closest one is too far to be worth driving to with gas prices as steep as they currently are.