Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 28 2011, 02:10 AM   #301
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

@TinMan and Mytran - That's gold with that bottom picture. I can definitely use it to fine-tune the positioning Thanks!
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 04:54 AM   #302
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
That website is great, I dip into it now and again but thanks for pointing out that picture. What it doesn't show however is how many tanks are against the wall opposite the mesh, which is kinda useful when repositioning that top right console which was in my previous photo. However, from various shots in the episode it seems there are at least 4 tanks, so just for fun here is my own quick-and-dirty mockup to show where I think everything goes:

I'm still not happy with that top right console, but it seems the only way to reconcile these two shots:
For a "quick-and-dirty mockup" Mytran that's pretty darn close I'd say!
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 08:41 AM   #303
Mytran
Fleet Captain

It's "quick-and-dirty" because
(a) I'm just shuffling around the original drawing and
(b) I've got no way to test the "over the shoulder" shot to see how far away the corner console is from the rest of the room.

Now, if only there were someone with a Lightwave-built version of the set...
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 06:19 PM   #304
blssdwlf
Commodore

LOL it might be until the weekend before another wip post...
Old February 3 2011, 06:46 AM   #305
Albertese
Commodore

Wow. I just re-read about half of this thread. I can't wait to see more of this project.

--Alex
Old February 20 2011, 09:54 AM   #306
blssdwlf
Commodore

A slight tangent while re-calibrating previous scenes...

Matched shuttle scale to what's on screen. Then scaled up flight deck to match and applied scale multiplier to overall ship. So if I had to fit the flight deck in I would need to scale the TOS Enterprise up to 348.5m. Not bad, still smaller than the 355m Enterprise-refit estimate I had earlier

Old February 21 2011, 03:37 AM   #307
mattpiper
Ensign

As always, great work. There are a lot of great 1701-related projects going on at the moment, but this is the one that I am really looking forward to seeing the completed product.
mattpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 06:07 AM   #308
blssdwlf
Commodore

Thanks guys

I'll continue on building out the interiors but I think it would be neat to build out at 289m and fill it out more with the 348m version.
Old February 22 2011, 12:28 PM   #309
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Nice to see the ol' shuttlebay again blssdwlf as it is one of the few things we can actually scale the ship by!
I seem to remember you were previously using Warped9's shuttle design (approx 26'), but if I read you correctly the most recent renders are using the 21' studio prop, is that correct?
I assume you determined the scale-up by using the width of the shuttlebay, since length is less of an issue in the secondary hull (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I find the figure of 348.5 (1143') very interesting, since it matches so closely the 1177' length I got from an experiment I did a while ago of how the shuttlebay set would fit into MJ's famous cutaway:

(I ignored the fantail section as it does not match the Enterprise model)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 01:49 PM   #310
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - Fascinating (your experiment ) Yep, using the people in "Journey to Babel" as a reference I scaled the shuttle down to ~21' and then with the shuttle as a reference scaled up the shuttlebay. Now I have two shuttlebays ( the 947' and the 1143' versions) and I do like the idea of more secondary hull room
Old April 15 2011, 03:07 PM   #311
blssdwlf
Commodore

Ok, not a 3D update on the Big E but something I've been thinking of drawing for a while. It's the beginnings of the warp-equivalent of a nautical chart that is specific to TOS only. This drawing is a cross-section.

Warp 1 as 1c is still iffy for me as there are no time-distance-speed examples to verify against so that might get scrubbed or become variable as well.

Old April 16 2011, 03:22 AM   #312
Albertese
Commodore

That's brilliant! As far as I'm concerned, that's the new official!

--Alex
Old April 17 2011, 04:58 AM   #313
blssdwlf
Commodore

Thanks Alex

The TOS warp speed issue had been bugging me for a while so I'm glad I got a chance to visualize it as a chart. It just needs a nice 3D treatment with Doomsday Machines etched in as monsters in unexplored territory.
Old May 13 2011, 03:17 AM   #314
blssdwlf
Commodore

For the detail-oriented observers of TOS...

Did anyone notice this odd scene in "By Any Other Name" where the bridge main viewer doesn't appear in front of the helm station?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...namehd0858.jpg

Or in a few episodes, the helm station doesn't always align with the viewer? It's happened in a few different episodes so it isn't an isolated incident

Just throwing this out here... Could it be theorized that the helm/captain's section is on a swivel platform?
Old May 13 2011, 04:18 PM   #315
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
For the detail-oriented observers of TOS...

Did anyone notice this odd scene in "By Any Other Name" where the bridge main viewer doesn't appear in front of the helm station?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...namehd0858.jpg

Or in a few episodes, the helm station doesn't always align with the viewer? It's happened in a few different episodes so it isn't an isolated incident

Just throwing this out here... Could it be theorized that the helm/captain's section is on a swivel platform?
You've SOLVED it! You've SOLVED the thirty-six degree problem! This... This is the greatest day of my life! (Well, ok, maybe not that.)

Not sure about the Spock's Brain shot. That looks more like a camera angle to me. So far.