Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 20 2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Cpt. Porthos
Ensign

NX01 Refit

I know that recently Drexler did a refit design for the NX 01 that he had wished could have been used for season 5. I'm curious as to what everyone feels about the design I personally am still on the fence about it. i like parts and hate other parts

http://www.startrekorigins.de/wp-con...REFIT-0011.jpg
Cpt. Porthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 01:29 AM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: NX01 Refit

It's hideous. Utterly ruined the graceful and sleek design of the NX-01.

It was never planned for season five. (original NX-01 designer) Doug Drexler did it years after the show was cancelled for his own amusement, and a Trek calender picture.
Old February 20 2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Cpt. Porthos
Ensign

Yeah i know it was made later.. but he mentioned he would have liked to have been able to see it in season 5
Cpt. Porthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 01:45 AM   #4
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I don't like it at all. In fact, I hate it. It ruins the NX which looked just fine as is. Its just a bad kitbash, really, and looks ridiculous.
Old February 20 2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Skywalker
Admiral

It looks pretty stupid with the impulse engines sticking out like that, not to mention the two deflector dishes. I don't see the need to add a secondary hull to the NX class; I prefer to imagine the secondary hull was introduced with the Daedalus class (because of the new--and huge--warp seven engines requiring a lot more space).
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 07:15 AM   #6
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

Yuck!!
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 07:44 AM   #7
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

That's a nasty angle, and also it's the toy and not the CG model. I actually don't mind the refit design, although I don't think it was necessary to bring it closer to the 1701. The NX-01 looked great as it was, Akira copy or not.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I thought the refit was ugly when Doug first showed it off, and I still think it's ugly now. A key difference is, I didn't like it at first but I really like it now that some time has passed. It's squat and unattractive, and just plain awkward, which I think makes it more appealing as a chunky prototype of the more refined Starfleet ships that would come later. The NX-01 has always felt a little too sleek to play the part of an experimental first-of-its-kind ship, and this design rectifies that.
Old February 20 2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I've never cared for it. Gep points out that the ship always looked a bit too sleek and I concur, but if this were the alternative, no thanks.
Old February 20 2011, 01:09 PM   #10
M
Vice Admiral

Well, I have to admit I kinda like the refit version. Somehow it makes the ship look older and more in line with the later incarnations.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 04:04 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post

It's hideous. Utterly ruined the graceful and sleek design of the NX-01.
This.
Old February 21 2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Dukhat
Commodore

I don't think I can answer this question without being biased, as I've always hated the NX-01 because of its origins as the Akira class. Now that being said, I think anything that makes the ship look less like the Akira is a good thing to me. However, I'd also get rid of the deflector dish on the saucer (redundant now), and the saucer impulse engines (the catamarans already have impulse engines!), to make the saucer completely round. Although I would have done that anyway regardless of the secondary hull.
Old February 21 2011, 06:35 AM   #13
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I don't think I can answer this question without being biased, as I've always hated the NX-01 because of its origins as the Akira class. Now that being said, I think anything that makes the ship look less like the Akira is a good thing to me. However, I'd also get rid of the deflector dish on the saucer (redundant now), and the saucer impulse engines (the catamarans already have impulse engines!), to make the saucer completely round. Although I would have done that anyway regardless of the secondary hull.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 07:16 AM   #14
el Chalupacabra
Lieutenant Commander

I actually kind of like that idea of an NX01 refit, but I doubt even if Enterprise went on to season 5 it would have happened, nor would it have been needed.
http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/.../sc-38_box.jpg

I gotta say though, it reminds me of the Gabe Kooerner Enterprise concepts, especially the secondary hull:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/13/gabr...ss-enterprise/

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/koernerprise1.jpg

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/koernerprise2.jpg

el Chalupacabra, we don't allow hotlinked images at TrekBBS. If you want to post an image, transfer it to a photo-storage site such as Photobucket, then post from there. For more information on image posting, read the FAQ or this post by one of our Admins. Thanks. --HR

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; February 22 2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: hotlinked images changed to links
el Chalupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

You know, part of the key to my enjoyment of ENT rests in the fact that I'm not much of a canon conscript. I like things to flow as well as possible but even as a teenager when the show premiered I was pretty quickly made aware that certain things didn't quite click to their fullest possible extent... and I got over it early on.

I've always been fond of the NX-01's design. I find it more beautiful than almost any other significant ship in the franchise. The only crucial gems that I prefer over it are the TOS refit and the Abramsverse Enterprise.