Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 14 2011, 06:59 PM   #1231
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2

LeadHead wrote: View Post
The Hammerhead has more abilities and speed, so I like it more, but it is waaaaaaaay too weak. Reverend is correct, a few shots from a Geth Trooper and you've got alarms going off and fires are soon to come. I hope they keep the Hammerhead for ME3, but make it a much tougher, so it doesn't blow up so easily.
Or you could have the Mako and the Hammerhead, and pick the one you want at the beginning of every mission.
Old February 16 2011, 06:14 AM   #1232
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Or you could have the Mako and the Hammerhead, and pick the one you want at the beginning of every mission.
Nah, too complicated. You certainly don't want to confront the player with choices and variability. I mean, in Mass Effect 3, they're even going to streamline the dialogue experience. Fewer conversations, most trees will only have one "branch", and even when there are choices, it'll just be "Jesus" and "Satan", both leading to the same outcome.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 07:38 AM   #1233
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
Nah, too complicated. You certainly don't want to confront the player with choices and variability.
Where did that come from? In ME2, you constantly have to pick two teammates among your twelve travelling companions. It's all about choices.
Old February 16 2011, 07:49 AM   #1234
HotRod
Commander

I think he was being sarcastic.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 08:07 AM   #1235
Skywalker
Admiral

Of course, picking your squadmates for a mission rarely has a significant impact on the storyline. So that's more of an arbitrary choice.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 08:20 AM   #1236
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Of course, picking your squadmates for a mission rarely has a significant impact on the storyline. So that's more of an arbitrary choice.
It's a tactical choice, just like picking the Mako or the Hammerhead would be.
Old February 16 2011, 08:26 AM   #1237
Skywalker
Admiral

Picking squadmates whose skills complement your own isn't really tactics so much as common sense.

And they'd never include both the Mako and the Hammerhead. They'd have to design their planet-based levels to fit both, which would cost more money than it would be worth. Easier to just design your levels for one specific vehicle, be it the Mako (unlikely), Hammerhead (possible), or a new vehicle (also possible).
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 10:23 AM   #1238
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I have a feeling it will wind up being a much more durable and slightly less fast-paced variation of the Hammerhead with a brand new name.
Old February 16 2011, 02:32 PM   #1239
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Picking squadmates whose skills complement your own isn't really tactics so much as common sense.

And they'd never include both the Mako and the Hammerhead. They'd have to design their planet-based levels to fit both, which would cost more money than it would be worth. Easier to just design your levels for one specific vehicle, be it the Mako (unlikely), Hammerhead (possible), or a new vehicle (also possible).
But your class powers aren't the only factor in choosing squadmates, for me at least anyway. I also take into account what kind of opposition I'm liable to run into. So it there are going to be Geth or mechs then it's probably going to be Tali for her AI hack and either Garrus or Miranda for overload. On higher difficulty levels it becomes very important as all enemies tend to have either shields or armour, even husks!

As for choosing between a ground or hover vehicle as part of the pre-mission party & weapon load-out, it really wouldn't be helpful unless you know ahead of time what kind of terrain or opposition you're up against. A more practical solution would be for them to come up with a new hybrid vehicle.

Still, as I see it the Hammerhead still didn't fix the main problem I had with the Mako; it's ability to handle rough terrain. Sure it can hop over large obstructions (a very tedious exercise I might add) but put it on some of those self same open terrains from ME1 and it'd have just as much trouble as the Mako.

The solution is either stick to the linear/multi-pathed terrain designs like they did for Overlord or come up with a tank that can fly. Given the game breaking nature of the latter option, I think the former is the more likely choice.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 10:34 PM   #1240
Artemis
Lieutenant Commander

I just take however I feel like taking at the moment. The ones that don't annoy me are the most probable choice most of the time.

Oh, who am I kidding. I always took Garrus because I adore him and Miranda because she's hot.
Old February 16 2011, 11:43 PM   #1241
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^On 'Normal' sure (I always picked Tali & Samara ) but like I said, if you play on hardcore or insanity then it's vital you have the right squadmates or you'll be Collector chow in no time flat.

A bit off topic but with all the speculation about what'll be improved/changed for ME3 does anyone think it's worth starting a separate thread for the run up to the game's release, or just stick with this one?
Old February 16 2011, 11:57 PM   #1242
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Artemis wrote: View Post
I just take however I feel like taking at the moment. The ones that don't annoy me are the most probable choice most of the time.

Oh, who am I kidding. I always took Garrus because I adore him and Miranda because she's hot.
Right on the money with me, I almost always took that pairing too. Early on in my gameplay they became the rest of my Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic. Truth be told I was always hoping there was a way to remove Jacob from those Briefing room discussions in favor of Garrus, since if I were running the ship, I'd make him my right hand man. It's why he's almost always leading the second fire team once you get to the end.

The other characters who pop up the most often are Tali, Mordin, Samara, Thane & Grunt (Legion too if only you didn't acquire him so late in the game)

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 07:49 PM   #1243
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
The solution is either stick to the linear/multi-pathed terrain designs like they did for Overlord or come up with a tank that can fly. Given the game breaking nature of the latter option, I think the former is the more likely choice.
Or they could just give us one of those awesome gunships that blew off Garrus's face and Hock used to shoot at us in the Kasumi DLC. That would make for some hilarious moments.

*Shepard is corned on a balcony*
Random badguy: End of the line Shepard!
*Gunship rises up behind Shepard and guns enemies down*
Shepard: Why didn't I get one of these when I was fighting the Collectors?
Old February 17 2011, 07:55 PM   #1244
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Better yet...

"Why couldn't I just fly over that trench run en route to Sovereign?"
Old February 17 2011, 11:20 PM   #1245
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Aside from the fact that gunships can't fit in Citadel elevators, or that the big ass defence turrets would cut it to pieces? No reason.