TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 11 2011, 06:16 AM   #1
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Supernatural Season 7? Maybe ... And general CW spoilers

I had the opportunity to speak at length with one of the executives of the location CW affiliate tonight, and I asked if there was any news or spoilers they could share about the series finale of Supernatural.

"There are," this person said. "But it may not be the series finale after all."

The two leads are contracted through the end of this year. They have agreed to a one-year contract extension, provided that the original team of writers (whoever they have on board this season) continues for that one final season. It would also be written into the contract extensions that this would be it, May 2012 would be the series finale. The writers as a group haven't decided whether or not to come back, so the CW is offering a pile of cash for each of them.

If the writers say yes, it'll have one final season (not like this final season, or last year's final season, apparently), with the goal to wrap up the series.

Smallville, on the other hand, is done. Tom Welling agreed to come back for this season so it would be double digits, and because they backed the money truck up to his door. He's been wanting to leave for the last three years (I was told), and with the success of his other series Hellcats, he's no longer in a position where he would have to continue as an actor. He may have as many as three new series on the air by this time next year, all being executive produced by him, with the possibility of being a director too.

I dunno about that last bit, though. I suffered through a few minutes of Hellcats, just because I generally like Ashley Tisdale, and couldn't stand this series. Is it really doing well? Or is that more "doing well for a network that averages three viewers on a good night?"

So what do you think? Would you want yet another "final" season of Supernatural? Or should it be staked in May?
Old February 11 2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Jetfire

Re: Supernatural Season 7? Maybe ... And general CW spoilers

I like Hellcats. I am not sure the switch from Wed to Tues was a good idea.
Old February 11 2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Go for the seventh and then stop.

Fewer seasons for me to have to catch up on, thankfully.
Old February 11 2011, 07:38 AM   #4
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

It should have ended last season. This season hasn't been very good and has the taint of a series overstaying its welcome. A seventh season is a bad idea but knowing that the CW is desperate--this is the same network who drove Smallville into the ground and brought back 7th Heaven afterall--they'll bring it back.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

This doesn't surprise me. At first I was dreading the idea of continuing the series beyond its planned ending, but for the most part Season Six has been a pleasant surprise for me, so as long as the actors, writers, and the rest of the crew are all in, I wouldn't mind one more season.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Mmmm, not quite sure how I fell about this, although I think I'm actually gonna have to agree with startrekwatcher here and say that this show has gone off the rails a bit. This whole new big bad they just unearthed, feels a little uninspired (Very Buffy season 7, First Evil-ish, plus you can substitute the Dragons as The Harbingers or later the Turrikons). We'll see how the rest of seasons pans out, but I don't know about a season 7. I just don't know.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2011, 06:14 PM   #7
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

OmahaStar wrote: View Post

I dunno about that last bit, though. I suffered through a few minutes of Hellcats, just because I generally like Ashley Tisdale, and couldn't stand this series. Is it really doing well? Or is that more "doing well for a network that averages three viewers on a good night?"
Yes, Ashley Tisdale looks mighty fine
Old February 11 2011, 07:42 PM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Why would a CW affiliate know all of this? Why would an affiliate even need to know?

There was never a doubt that cW wants a 7th season of Supernatural, the president even said she would like to.
Old February 11 2011, 11:28 PM   #9
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Why would a CW affiliate know all of this? Why would an affiliate even need to know?

There was never a doubt that cW wants a 7th season of Supernatural, the president even said she would like to.
They had a call with affiliates either earlier this week or late last week (wasn't specified when).
Old February 12 2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I would have been fine with Season Five being the end of the series but since that isn't the case, I'm torn between Season Six being the final season and Season Seven being the final season. S6 should work as the final season if they work on the final episodes of this season with the purpose of wrapping up the series' story. But I also think S7 should be the last because though I love Season Six, I just feel that this season could serve as Part One of a two-part wrap-up to the overall series with S7 in the place of being the climax of that wrap-up.

I just wish they make up their mind on this issue sooner rather than later to give us the viewers time to prepare for S6 being the end or S7.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2011, 04:36 AM   #11
mswood
Rear Admiral

THis is funny
Tom Welling agreed to come back for this season so it would be double digits, and because they backed the money truck up to his door. He's been wanting to leave for the last three years (I was told), and with the success of his other series Hellcats, he's no longer in a position where he would have to continue as an actor.
OK, let me make this very clear Mr. Welling (unless he is doing more coke then Charlie Sheen) doesn't need another revenue source from anything to retire extremely comfortably for the rest of his natural life.

His salary for just this year will end up being 5.775 million dollars. Since season 6 he has made significantly larger amounts of money. And could have retired at the end of season 5 and been quite comfortable. He also gets cuts for off net reruns, overseas airings, percentage of DVD and BLu-Ray sales all based on his base salary of that specific year. He needs Hellcats about as much as I need another cheeseburger.
Old February 12 2011, 04:40 AM   #12
mswood
Rear Admiral

Thats always been the problem with TV shows, is that writers often don't get much lead time in being able to plan out their shows. And this is something that they have to deal with from literally day one.

But so far I like this season better then last (though we still don't have a single Great episode like Abandon All Hope, but we also don't have the clunkers from the first half of last year either.

But put it this way last week's episode was the same week we got Swap Meet.
Old February 12 2011, 05:12 AM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Swap Meat was a terrible episode. I agree; I like this season so far as a whole much better than season 5.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2011, 05:38 AM   #14
mswood
Rear Admiral

Seriously besides the season opener, I think I have liked every episode. The only two problems I have had with this season is I missed the bond between the actors, as that clearly wasn't there (and for very good reason), and I don't feel they have hit a home run yet. There have been episodes that almost got there, but not quite.

For all my complaints about several episodes in season 5 by this point they had two episodes that I think were great.
Old February 13 2011, 04:43 AM   #15
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Maybe Season Six should be the end of the series because I'm noticing how we are retreading on certain old issues and patterns between Sam and Dean that Season Five was resolving by its end. Like Dean treating Sam like a kid and becoming his brother's keeper. We need to move on from that and as long as this season remains just another season and not the final season, that whole thing will remain in a stubborn holding pattern or worse a monstrous decline, or the writers will stir up some artificial drama to keep up the brotherly tension. Making Season Six the final season will allow them to take risks and freedoms with the storytelling and the characters, the likes they've never took before because it wasn't that time yet the way Joss Whedon did in Season Five of Angel once it was confirmed that the series was cancelled.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote