Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old February 9 2011, 07:03 PM   #241
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

While no plot has been leaked or alluded to for The Avengers the common assumption is that the story would follow the one that brought the team together in the first place. That being that Loki, to debut in the Thor movie, manages to manipulate the Hulk into doing his bidding by some means.

The first step is confirmed, that Loki will appear. Now we just need to know for sure if the story follows that he uses the Hulk like a pawn.

...the site mentions that Tom Hiddleston will return to play Loki. Ok, it's not a confirmation that Loki will brainwash anyone, but it's something.
With all this casting news it seems clear the production is still on track for Spring. How cool would it be to get some type of teaser imagery during the Captain America movie!!
Old February 9 2011, 07:16 PM   #242
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
While no plot has been leaked or alluded to for The Avengers the common assumption is that the story would follow the one that brought the team together in the first place. That being that Loki, to debut in the Thor movie, manages to manipulate the Hulk into doing his bidding by some means.

!!
Honestly, that's always seemed like a rash assumption to me. When have superhero movies ever adapted the actual first issue of the comic book?

I don't recall Michael Keaton or Christian Bale investigating the Case of the Chemical Syndicate, or Tobey Maguire fighting the Chameleon, or the Fantastic Four debuting against the Mole Man. Or Magneto attacking Cape Canaveral in his first battle against the X-Men.

Typically, the movie versions cherrypick the best bits and characters from the entire run of the series, instead of slavishly adapting issue #1. Which makes sense, since it typically takes several issues for all the classic elements of the comic book to fall into place.

The first SPIDER-MAN comic, for instance, didn't feature Mary Jane, J.J.J, or the Green Goblin, all of whom were introduced later.

So I'm not sure why anyone would assume that the AVENGERS movie is going to follow the plot of the first issue?
Old February 9 2011, 08:36 PM   #243
captcalhoun
Admiral

because they've got the Hulk in it and he didn't stick around?

my bet would be some kind of blend of the plot Avengers #1 and the Super-Human arc of The Ultimates.

Loki manipulates Hulk into attacking New York and the Ultimates, sorry Avengershave to beat him down as he tears up mid-town in a major slug-fest.
Old February 9 2011, 08:59 PM   #244
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Typically, the movie versions cherrypick the best bits and characters from the entire run of the series, instead of slavishly adapting issue #1. Which makes sense, since it typically takes several issues for all the classic elements of the comic book to fall into place.
Typically yeah. No argument there. What has most of fandom betting on this instance of a near literal adaptation is the sheer logic of it. They could of course create a new reason for cinematic purposes. They could cherry pick stories involving Hulk but why?

The smoothest, easiest and best reason to get the cinematic Avengers together can be done very similar to if not exactly like it's 4-color counterpart did it back in the '60s.
Old February 9 2011, 11:45 PM   #245
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
because they've got the Hulk in it and he didn't stick around?

More likely, they've got the Hulk in it because he's already had two movies, and they're combining all the characters from their movies franchises: Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow.

If they had the movie rights to Spidey, he'd probably be an Avenger, too!

Besides, Cap and Black Widow weren't in Avengers #1, so it's not like they're too worried about staying faithful to that one old issue.

Captain Craig: they don't need to just cherrypick stories involving the Hulk. They can use any old story and just stick the Hulk in it, the same way they're stick Cap and Natasha into whatever origin story they choose to tell.

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 9 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old February 16 2011, 10:05 PM   #246
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Samuel L Jackson talks about his Marvel movies and Avengers involvement.
...After I finish that film in Canada I have to go to New Mexico to start The Avengers. Work on The Avengers from April to the middle of June. Go to Columbia and work on a film in Columbia. Come back, Finish The Avengers..."
So he has 3 solid months of work on Avengers then goes off and comes back to finish the shoot for an unspecified time frame. I wonder how they are aligning the actors shooting time. Hemsworth would need time in mid April I'd think to do press rounds for Thor. Likewise for Evans in July for Captain America.

At any rate the film will be in front of cameras by Spring and based on his report of 3+months Jackson is going to have a beefy role in the film.
Old February 17 2011, 01:41 AM   #247
flemm
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
So I'm not sure why anyone would assume that the AVENGERS movie is going to follow the plot of the first issue?
I don't that is the assumption, at least not in so many words. It's more of a deduction based on what is known about the film and how Avengers' origin stories have been told in the past.

We're not going to get the story from Avengers #1, or the story from the original Ultimates run, but something involving Loki and a rampaging Hulk seems like strong possibility (though far from a certainty, of course).

Personally, I think that, in any event, a "Loki manipulates Hulk" plot would be more like a subplot in the first half of the movie while a bigger threat is looming, rather than the main plot of the film.
Old February 17 2011, 02:17 AM   #248
Wereghost
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
my bet would be some kind of blend of the plot Avengers #1 and the Super-Human arc of The Ultimates.

Loki manipulates Hulk into attacking New York and the Ultimates, sorry Avengershave to beat him down as he tears up mid-town in a major slug-fest.
Sounds likely enough, but in the astronomically unlikely event that Whedon goes the Mark Millar route with the Hulk's characterisation, I may disavow the movie and leave. I think that there'll be a more character-based and story-based vibe to this movie than Millar's shock-tactic approach.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The smoothest, easiest and best reason to get the cinematic Avengers together can be done very similar to if not exactly like it's 4-color counterpart did it back in the '60s.
Sure, why not? I can't see Thor being a minor player, as he kind of brings mythology and adventure to the party. Cap has to be integrated in some significant way, though.
Old February 17 2011, 02:34 AM   #249
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They might do what the Avengers' cartoon is doing and have the Skrull/Kree war be the plot.
Old February 17 2011, 08:24 AM   #250
captcalhoun
Admiral

nah, they're not going to bring in aliens that fast.

i'd bet they'd do the Ultimates Homeland Security arc in Avengers 3, possibly after doing a Masters of Evil/Liberators type story in 2.
Old February 18 2011, 08:24 PM   #251
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I have said from the start that I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a mixture of the 616 Avengers origin (the fact that Loki is now long been confirmed has me convinced) combined with the Ultimates opening arc. I think they're mix Loki messing around with the Hulk.

I still like my fan fic suggestion as to how to deal with a Skrull invasion and bring back Edward Norton! LOL. I'd reveal that the Mark Ruffalo Banner is a Skrull agent and that the Norton Banner was captured and escaped to help the heroes defend Earth from the impending invasion that would take place in the sequel.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Old February 21 2011, 08:48 PM   #252
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Some secondary shooting locations in Detroit Michigan have been nixed due to lack of confirmation on tax incentives.

"They were all set to come here," said Chris Baum of Film Detroit, a division of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau. When producers couldn't get confirmation that they would still qualify for the incentives, they decided to pull out of the state, Baum said.
Tom Moisides got his call on Saturday morning: His services as a location scout for “The Avengers” would no longer be needed.
Moisides, 39, of Michigan-based Colony Films said he has been working since November as a location scout on the film, a big-buzz superhero adaptation whose cast will include Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson. The job could have been a $100,000 gig if "The Avengers" shoot lasted through October, as he was told to expect.
Oh, well at least Detroit is getting the Robocop statue.
Old February 21 2011, 09:51 PM   #253
captcalhoun
Admiral

i thought the mayor nixed that idea.
Old February 21 2011, 09:57 PM   #254
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think Captain Craig was joking about the statue.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Old February 28 2011, 03:50 PM   #255
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

A little Q&A tossed out at Mark Ruffalo on the red carpet of the Oscars last night.

So, will Hulk be one part villain in the film as per speculation??
Ruffalo says that we will see "Equal parts Hulk and Bruce Banner" in the movie and that he is "introduced in a really great way, and after that we have all the great Hulk stuff" Horowitz then asks about whether The Hulk may play a villainous role in the movie, and Ruffalo does a very telling eyebrow raise, while his wife giggles. Horowitz seems to take this as a yes. It certainly seems pretty affirmative! But when(if) the video is added you can decide for yourselves.
Is he just being coy?
Perhaps just having fun with reporters?
Or is he giving non verbals via eyebrow raises so as to stay true to his non-disclosure clause in the contract?
Closed Thread