Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 27 2011, 09:29 PM   #91
wamdue
Admiral

Re: Doctor Who: The Figure Thread

the good news is that those bricks apparntly fit lego.

not sure why the Daleks are looking at a picture of the Doctor however
Old January 27 2011, 09:40 PM   #92
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Target practice?
Old January 27 2011, 09:48 PM   #93
wamdue
Admiral

for some crazy reason I was thinking art class
Old January 28 2011, 01:41 AM   #94
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Well, my Peri and Sil set arrived yesterday.

A couple quick pics, with the insert background from the packaging:

While Peri is very well done, Sil is basically a giant piece of poo. Peri stands surprisingly well considering the high heels and the likeness is quite good (but CO is usually spot on with that regard). Sil is... disappointing. While he's not attached to the stand, there's no articulation. The head doesn't turn, the arms don't move, nothing, zip, zilch, nadda.

Rather a shame. I'd have preferred $15-20 for a single carded Peri. It's not that I dislike Sil (and I have tremendous respect for Nabil Shaban) but the figure is disappointing. And what makes it even more poo is... when you lift the figure off of the stand a) the centre is caved in like he's a heavy turd and b) whether it was the paint or who knows what, there is, quite literally, a brown stain where the figure sits.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 03:30 AM   #95
Hennessy Badger
Fleet Captain

I desperately want the 11 doctors (non)Lego set! The lil' 6th doctor is bizarrely adorable.

http://www.activedad.co.uk/2011/01/2...o-lego-review/
"Gene Roddenberry used to say that Star Trek is a way of saying that the way things are is not the way they have to be. It's about imagining other possibilities, better possibilities." - David Gerrold
Hennessy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 05:20 AM   #96
starsuperion
Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Thought i'd put this here now

My Sonic Screwdriver Screwdriver arrived last week

I read a short review that it's not that impressive. I've opened it and notice the sound isn't quite as loud.

Markstammers wrote: View Post
My WOW sonic screwdriver arrived today. (I will try to put a pic up later)

Looks good in the box, but its pretty much all downhill once you get it out.
Only the bottom half is metal, the top half is plastic, similar in thickness to the CO version.
I'd known for sometime that the "claw" didn't extend, but given it's plastic rather than metal it should have been possible to acheive something a bit better than this moulded top.

The screwdriver opens at the midpoint to reveal a rod with the bulb at the top end and the screwdriver heads attached magnetically around it. I think this piece looks rather flimsy, and it certainly took quite a few attempts to get the whole thing put back together. I also think you could very easily rip off the bulb if you are not extremely careful. As to its usefulness as an actual screwdriver i'm pretty sure certain parts of it would break long before you were able to shift a moderately stubborn screw.

The FX are triggered by a small button on the shaft. They sound fairly weedy.

So initial thoughts are that this is a pretty poor attempt that fails to be an accurate replica or a functional screwdriver, its just a very overpriced novelty.

With that said i'm thinking about selling it for 20 dollars plus shipping. Paypal preferred.
FIRST OFF LET ME SAY THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER!!! that said, why didn't they do the heavy metal of this screw driver, and the features of the toy screw driver?? then it would be a proper replica..

any new on that being done?
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 05:26 PM   #97
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

I'm a big fan of the Dr. Who figures, I feel that Character Options can EASILY give North American companies like Hasbro, Mattel and ESPECIALLY Playmates a run for their money.

I feel Peri was choose as the first classics companion to be a figure because figures like Sarah and Jo would EASILY sell a lot, and they wanted to be sure other, lesser known companions would sell good too, so Character Options were testing the waters.

I myself end to get the figures second hand, since I do NOT want to spend $30 or more on a figure.

If any one has classic Daleks (mainly 60's and 70's Daleks), Revenge & Tomb Cybermen, Peri, and the first three Doctors to sell or trade, please let me know.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 05:44 PM   #98
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Damn, the Daleks are too large for Lego minifigs : (
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 06:34 PM   #99
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

The Castellan wrote: View Post
I feel Peri was choose as the first classics companion to be a figure because figures like Sarah and Jo would EASILY sell a lot, and they wanted to be sure other, lesser known companions would sell good too, so Character Options were testing the waters.
I can see Sarah selling well, but why do you think Useless would sell? I'd think she would rate right up there with figures of Sara Kingdom and Dodo.
Old February 8 2011, 07:52 PM   #100
The Castellan
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I can see Sarah selling well, but why do you think Useless would sell? I'd think she would rate right up there with figures of Sara Kingdom and Dodo.
Dunno, she was fairly popular (a lot more than her successor) in the series....not to mention one of the nicest looking ones (Nicola Bryant pretty much looks the same today as she did in 1984), it's a no brainer she'd probably sell good.....I mean Amy sold well, and I am sure a large number of male collectors bought her for pretty much the same reasons. I could see the Kiss-O-gram Amy selling just as good.

Now Mel and Adric, those figures might not be popular ones.
Old February 8 2011, 09:17 PM   #101
OmahaStar

Dunno, she was fairly popular (a lot more than her successor) in the series....not to mention one of the nicest looking ones (Nicola Bryant pretty much looks the same today as she did in 1984), it's a no brainer she'd probably sell good.....I mean Amy sold well, and I am sure a large number of male collectors bought her for pretty much the same reasons. I could see the Kiss-O-gram Amy selling just as good.

Wait, what? I asked you about Useless, the Third Doctor's second (and easily worst) companion. What's that got to do with Peri?
Old February 8 2011, 10:44 PM   #102
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Uh... large numbers of male collectors buy the female companion figures because they want to perv out on them because the actress was attractive?

I just bought Peri to do my bit to support the classics line and as far as classic figures go, I guess I am a bit of a completest so I probably would buy Mel and Adric if I had the cash to waste.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2011, 12:01 AM   #103
The Castellan
Commodore

Wait, what? I asked you about Useless, the Third Doctor's second (and easily worst) companion. What's that got to do with Peri?
Jo was very popular.
Old February 9 2011, 12:27 AM   #104
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Josan wrote: View Post
Well, my Peri and Sil set arrived yesterday.

While Peri is very well done, Sil is basically a giant piece of poo. Peri stands surprisingly well considering the high heels and the likeness is quite good (but CO is usually spot on with that regard). Sil is... disappointing. While he's not attached to the stand, there's no articulation. The head doesn't turn, the arms don't move, nothing, zip, zilch, nadda.

Rather a shame. I'd have preferred $15-20 for a single carded Peri. It's not that I dislike Sil (and I have tremendous respect for Nabil Shaban) but the figure is disappointing. And what makes it even more poo is... when you lift the figure off of the stand a) the centre is caved in like he's a heavy turd and b) whether it was the paint or who knows what, there is, quite literally, a brown stain where the figure sits.
See, I too would have liked a single carded Peri, but I absolutely refuse to shell out one cent for Sil. He actually ranks among my least favorite Doctor Who villains (not only is he insufferable, but he's an insufferable turd!). I like Peri, but not enough to pay extra for her because of that.

I felt the same way with the Third Doctor being paired with those three maggots. That's my favorite version of the Third Doctor, but...maggots? Seriously. Maggots?
Old February 15 2011, 01:34 AM   #105
Worf2DS9
Writer

Well, I've broken down and ordered a couple of Dalek figures from "Victory of the Daleks": the white Supreme Dalek (I'm not a huge-huge fan of the new design, but I do love the look of that white one); and the Ironside Dalek (the Blackout variant).

I haven't ordered anything from Pixel Barrel in a while, but they had all of those Paradigm Daleks available individually, and the Blackout Ironside actually wasn't "out of stock".
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote