Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 6 2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Mike Have-Not
Captain

Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
I really Like "Carbon Creek"

I think it is my favorite episode of the series.

I really liked T'Pol's character and acting in the story-telling scenes that frame the episiode, also.

The way she left Trip and Archer hanging, thinking she'd been "pulling a fast one" on them.

Very funny!

How do Enterprise fans feel about this episode?
Old February 6 2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Re: I really Like "Carbon Creek"

I think it's pretty awful in general. It was clearly made on-the-cheap and the writing was pretty bad. I think if you're going to stick Vulcans on earth in the 50s, you need to ramp up the comedy a bit more, otherwise we're just watching another episode where the "crew" (in this case the Vulcans) need to find some way off a primitive planet without letting the natives know who they are. There were funny moments, but not a lot. There was a heartfelt moment or two as well, but ultimately the episode just felt like a waste of time. Particularly because it wasn't about any of the characters in the show.

I did like the ending though, UNTIL T'Pol pulled out the handbag. I would have much rather it been left up in the air as to whether or not she was screwing with them.
Old February 6 2011, 12:52 AM   #3
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a "Eugenics Wars" style novel about his life on earth and through history. The acting is excellent, the sets too.. I still crack up at the Moe joke. One of the best of Enterprise.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 05:10 AM   #4
I am Surak
Captain

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I did like the ending though, UNTIL T'Pol pulled out the handbag. I would have much rather it been left up in the air as to whether or not she was screwing with them.
So you finally watched it.
I am Surak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I had seen it before and I haven't watched it in probably 2 or 3 years now - I didn't like it then, I don't like it now - the only part that I thought was good was the prologue where we see the "big 3" of Enterprise having some fun together and the first part of the epilogue where Trip and Archer are left wondering if T'Pol was full of shit or not. I would have rather they left the audience wondering the same thing. Would have been kind of fun.
Old February 6 2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Hathaway Brown
Lieutenant

Not a bad episode, it seemed to suit its purpose as a light relief style episode. There have been far far worse "serious" episodes in other Trek series.
Hathaway Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 08:56 PM   #7
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a "Eugenics Wars" style novel about his life on earth and through history. The acting is excellent, the sets too.. I still crack up at the Moe joke. One of the best of Enterprise.
There are few things I like about CC, but generally speaking, it's around the middle of my least favorite episodes.

Mestral ("I Love Lucy is on tonight") was my favorite. And I'm sure a lot of people will spit out their teeth at the idea, but I think they could have had some fun with the coda by having Mestral arrive on the West Coast and the first person he befriends is Gene Roddenberry.
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

It was the first episode of Enterprise I really liked. It was fun.
Old February 6 2011, 09:09 PM   #9
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a Eugenics Wars; style novel about his life on earth and through history..
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Mestral_(short_story)
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 05:37 AM   #10
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a Eugenics Wars; style novel about his life on earth and through history..
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Mestral_(short_story)
Not a short story, an EPIC story like Cox's Eugenics Wars novels! He can weave Mestral into his already established Eugenics Wars characters too.

But I want a novel of the E2 crew as well by Cox, 100 years on the alternate Enterprise. Actually just give me a series set on the ship with Lorian as the Captain. Drag in Jolene to play Old T'Pol and start it with the second generation.. that way if you do use some actors from ENT they can already be older.

Those are two great untold stories of ENT.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 05:42 AM   #11
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

I like "Carbon Creek" a lot. It was way better than "Carpenter Street," which I often confuse it with because of the moderately-similar names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I liked it, but I tend to enjoy offbeat episodes like that.
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 09:53 AM   #13
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

I liked it a lot. It was clearly a cheaper filler episode, so I took it for what it was, but was pleasantly surprised.
It reminded me a bit of 11:59 from VOY, which I hated. But I liked Carbon Creek because of the culture shock aspect that always makes these types of things fun, such as Carpenter St, TVH, Year Of Hell etc. The fact it wasn't technically one of the cast didn't bother me as much as it did in 11:59. I thought the story was nice, and the characters worked well.
How a Vulcan managed to survive his life without being detected through any illness, accidental ear slips, Pon Farr sex-rage etc is beyond me.

One of the surprisingly good episodes of S2 for me.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 02:49 AM   #14
Amasov
Rear Admiral

I LOVED Carbon Creek. Very cool, charming little episode that told a nice story.

"I Love Lucy" is on tonight!
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 03:19 AM   #15
Mike Have-Not
Captain

Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
The thing is, left "in the air" about the vailidity of her story, I would've assumed she was BS'ing (I am a skeptic by nature, apparently), and I'm not sure how I would've felt about that :-p