Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 4 2011, 09:13 PM   #331
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Christopher wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I think I read that somewhere not too long ago as well. I can't say I blame them. I get really distracted when I see an obviously altered face. Kind of like Elizabeth Mitchell's nose.
Last night I was watching CSI and I noticed that both Marg Helgenberger and Jorja Fox only seemed capable of moving the outer halves of their eyebrows. Botox?
Nicole Kidman and Marcia Cross from Desperate Housewives anyone?
Old February 5 2011, 12:45 PM   #332
Jetfire

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...revealed-12492

1: Lois Lane WILL be in the film.
2: The character these lovely actresses have come out for is none other than a Kryptonian villainess who is going by the name of URSA.
Interesting...if true.
Old February 5 2011, 12:49 PM   #333
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I've decided to step away from these reports until we get something tangible from DC Ent and Snyder. There's just been so many different reports based on rumors that it is frustrating.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 12:51 PM   #334
Jetfire

[edit] ^ Pretty much.

I still like the idea of Zod as a villain and if Ursa is in this film than so will he. People forget when these characters were on the big screen...it was yesterday ...and a Superman movie isn't like Smallville...why I don't get Zod being a villain is a bad idea.
Old February 5 2011, 01:00 PM   #335
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Everyone wants to see Zod. Snyder said right away that Zod wouldn't be the villain in the movie so I'm not sure how Ursa is going to factor into this. I just find it hard to believe anything that's been reported right now.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 01:00 PM   #336
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

It's possible they are only setting up Zod, Ursa, etc. in this installment and alluding a bigger appearance in a sequel. We don't know what involvement they might have, if any (providing that article has a shred of credence, which it might not).

If this film centers mostly around Clark's origins, it is possible that Zod, Ursa and other Kryptonians have a presence but aren't the actual villains this time around.

It would be slightly comedic and ironic, though, if Kryptonians are the villains of the film since Superman Returns co-writer Michael Doughterty basically admitted that Kryptonians would have been the villains for the proposed Returns sequel which had the alleged working title The Man of Steel. I would just find it funny that after all the negative backlash Superman Returns received from fans, that the next big screen incarnation of Superman would essentially have the same villains as the Returns sequel would have had with (tentatively) the same title.
Old February 5 2011, 03:20 PM   #337
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Everyone wants to see Zod. Snyder said right away that Zod wouldn't be the villain in the movie so I'm not sure how Ursa is going to factor into this. I just find it hard to believe anything that's been reported right now.
I'm not sure that "everyone" wants to see Zod. He has been in two movies and also on Smallville already. He has gotten more big screen exposure than other villains like Brainiac, Doomsday, Darkseid, Metallo, Parasite, Bizarro, etc. I would prefer they open up the rogues' gallery so we can see more villains besides Lex and Zod.

Don't get me wrong, I love the character, based on Terence Stamp's portrayal. I think he has also been rendered well recently in the Last Son and New Krypton comic book arcs. Didn't like the Lex-Zod or Major Zod from Smallville.

From the latinoreview link, its not a strong denial that Zod won't be in the movie. Synder said it was just a rumor, for now. So its possible he will be in the movie. Or it could be Ursa, perhaps as a stalking horse for Zod? She might be trying to free him like in the STAS show with Mala and Jax'Or. I wouldn't mind if Ursa or Faora were the main villain. It would be different, and a nice change to have a strong female villain for Superman, a Kryptonian to boot. Might also add some sexual tension besides the predictable Superman/Clark-Lois thing. With Ursa or another Kryptonian female (preferably not his cousin), Clark could be tempted by the idea of continuing the Kryptonian race.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 03:39 PM   #338
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I think most people don't want to see Zod.
Old February 5 2011, 03:41 PM   #339
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
If this film centers mostly around Clark's origins, it is possible that Zod, Ursa and other Kryptonians have a presence but aren't the actual villains this time around.
Variety said this is the female lead, though, although they could of course turn out to be wrong about that.
I think most people don't want to see Zod.
Yeah, most people want to see villains who have never been featured on the big screen before.
Old February 5 2011, 04:10 PM   #340
Christopher
Writer

It's possible they are only setting up Zod, Ursa, etc. in this installment and alluding a bigger appearance in a sequel. We don't know what involvement they might have, if any (providing that article has a shred of credence, which it might not).

Except that's exactly what the Richard Donner films did. What's the point in repeating it?

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Yeah, most people want to see villains who have never been featured on the big screen before.
How can we possibly know that? Even if most of the people posting on Internet bulletin boards have expressed that opinion, that's probably a few dozen individuals here and there. The opinions voiced on the Internet cannot be considered a statistically representative sample of the opinions of the mass audience.

I think most people in the general moviegoing public are more interested in what actors appear in a movie than what characters do. As long as the bad guy is an actor they like, they won't care if the character's name is Luthor or Zod or the Ultra-Humanite or Melvin Coznowfski.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 04:14 PM   #341
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^But by that, do you mean actors they already know and like or actors who they like when they sit down and watch the movie, even if they've never previously heard of them?

I mean, the likes of Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds or Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins would have been unfamiliar to most movie audiences before those movies, but their performances were so strong that they overcame their lack of marquee recognition factor.
Old February 5 2011, 04:14 PM   #342
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

How can we possibly know that?
I meant the weight of opinion amongst fandom. You're right that the general public wouldn't have the same point of view.
Old February 5 2011, 07:07 PM   #343
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

If Batman Begins is the model for this movie, then I think we can expect a Superman villain that hasn't gotten the cinematic spotlight, and dealt with in a more naturalistic manner as Nolan and Goyer did with Ra's Al Ghul.

Either that or they've finally found a way to make Richard Pryor's character from III really work this time around — played by Eddie Murphy, of course.
Old February 5 2011, 07:09 PM   #344
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^But by that, do you mean actors they already know and like or actors who they like when they sit down and watch the movie, even if they've never previously heard of them?
Either. They'd care more about whether they enjoyed the story than about what elements were used from a pre-existing mythology they might have little familiarity with.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
How can we possibly know that?
I meant the weight of opinion amongst fandom. You're right that the general public wouldn't have the same point of view.
The same objection applies. How can we know what the weight of opinion in fandom actually is? A few dozen people posting on bulletin boards are not a statistically representative sample of the entire fan community. It's far too small a sample, and far too biased since it's not a random sampling. It only shows what the subset of fandom that chooses to participate actively on computer bulletin boards thinks. That can't be assumed to be the same thing that fandom as a whole thinks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 07:26 PM   #345
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The same objection applies. How can we know what the weight of opinion in fandom actually is? A few dozen people posting on bulletin boards are not a statistically representative sample of the entire fan community. It's far too small a sample, and far too biased since it's not a random sampling. It only shows what the subset of fandom that chooses to participate actively on computer bulletin boards thinks. That can't be assumed to be the same thing that fandom as a whole thinks.
Fandom - especially in regards to superhero films - has a robust presence online, so it's a lot more than a few dozen people. You're right that it's more of a segment of fandom rather than fandom as a whole, but I think in most cases online fandom is broad enough to give a good sense - albeit unscientific - of the weight of opinion in fandom as a whole.