RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 499
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 4 2011, 04:57 AM   #31
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Storage Wars

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
After watching this week's episode, more and more I'm feeling this totally contrived/staged. So you have these auctions in Las Vegas, and these 4 same guys go from LA to Vegas for these auctions, with the same auction company conducting auction. Just seems staged to me. Maybe not so much the actual bidding, but it seems they (the producers) are setting it up to make sure these 4 guys are going up against each other.
Well, I guess that's the "price" you pay for having a reality show with a "cast." So it seems a bit "natural" for the same auction company and bidders to show up for remote auctions. The bidding part, what's in them, etc. isn't likely to be set-up (and IIUC, cannot be due to the rules/laws of reality shows of this nature) but yeah the where/when of the auctions certainly seems set-up.
Old February 4 2011, 05:04 AM   #32
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well it didn't seem that unusual for them to be at the same auctions when they were in the LA area, but clearly the production company set up these Vegas auctions. As for who bids what, I have no reason to suspect that's not real. I have to say I'm a little suspicious of the actual contents of the storage lockers though, but that's probably just paranoia on my part. I guess it's hard for me to believe people are going to let $17,000 of jewelry get away for the price of their storage unit rent.
Old February 4 2011, 05:21 AM   #33
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Hey, it could have been more contrived, they could've tried unloading their stuff at the pawn shop featured in "Pawn Stars."

As for finding the cache of jewelery in the abandoned locker. It's Vegas. Shit happens, I guess.

I did like the bit at the very end showing all of them at the Blackjack table, seemingly, having a good time and enjoying each other's company. Sort of makes it look like "behind the scenes" they're on fairly friendly terms. Sort of like Worf's similar realization in the Klingon bar partying with his opposition in battle.
Old February 4 2011, 01:19 PM   #34
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Yeah that final scene just added to the contrived nature of the whole episode. More and more I'm wondering if this isn't fake from beginning to scratch. In this episode they had Jarrod (sp?) confronting Dave the asshole, and it felt like a planned moment.

This show definitely doesn't have the feel of a show like Deadliest Catch. Sure I know those guys mug for the camera and do shit that maybe they wouldn't do if the cameras weren't there, but at the end of the day, that show mostly feels authentic to me.
Old February 4 2011, 03:37 PM   #35
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Well it didn't seem that unusual for them to be at the same auctions when they were in the LA area, but clearly the production company set up these Vegas auctions.
I wonder when we'll see the rest of this? At the bottom of the screen, it showed "Day One" and they said something about it being either four or five days for the marathon, so there's going to be more of this, right?
Old February 4 2011, 06:57 PM   #36
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Think about if you were a guy in Vegas who does these auction things for a living (or as a side job), and you've been doing this for awhile now, and all of sudden one day you go down to your auction and here this "production" is going on with these guys and their antics. That would have to be very annoying.
Old February 4 2011, 08:44 PM   #37
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

these people are too much of a "what people like to see on tv based on that formula they created in the 50's" for this show to not be scripted, I don't care too much about the characters, I'm more interested in what treasures they find
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2011, 10:06 PM   #38
Nick086
Commander

In one video I replied to I kind of pissed off Dan the other day when he said the buyers are really good people. I replied back they look pretty shady and seedy to me. They look like the type of men if someone look at them the wrong way they would whip out a knife and gut them. I'm sure some of them are selling social security cards, old licenses, and birth certificate found in the storage lockers for a hundred bucks each. Its a pretty good show
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 05:01 AM   #39
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I love Brandi. I don't think she's a bitch. I think she's a brilliant hottie who has held back because she's a rack and a pretty face, and her husband is a moron (go with your gut, dude, but your gut's WRONG!). It's been a trip watching her intelligence emerge from behind her tits.

She wouldn't come off as bitchy at all if she wasn't married to a moron. A man with the same intelligence as she actually has would make a great partner for her, and she'd have come into her own long ago.
Old February 5 2011, 07:01 PM   #40
propita
Rear Admiral

Maestro wrote: View Post
I love Brandi. I don't think she's a bitch. I think she's a brilliant hottie who has held back because she's a rack and a pretty face, and her husband is a moron (go with your gut, dude, but your gut's WRONG!). It's been a trip watching her intelligence emerge from behind her tits.

She wouldn't come off as bitchy at all if she wasn't married to a moron. A man with the same intelligence as she actually has would make a great partner for her, and she'd have come into her own long ago.
QFT.

I did like how Brandon got back at Dave and Darrell, though. But Dave STILL came out on top. The man has luck; if he’s always had this kind of luck, it’s not so surprising he thinks it’s actually “skill” and he’s arrogant.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 03:00 AM   #41
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Brandi and Jerrod were only trying to prove a point to Dave that he could be bid up too. I agree that they stopped too soon, and should have bid him up further. They should also stick him with a locker at a high price instead of giving up too soon too. That'd show him.

Brandi's enjoyment of this is what made me truly understand how brilliant and dangerous she was. She's much, much more than a harpie with a smokin' body. That said, I hope she uses that reputation and hot body to play those clowns for all they're worth, including her dolt of a hubby.
Old February 13 2011, 03:46 PM   #42
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

So I"m flipping through the channels this morning and on Spike TV I find this show entitled Auction Hunters. Have only seen a few minutes of it so far, but it appears to be the EXACT same format as Storage Wars.

So has anyone else seen this show? Just watching for a few minutes, it comes off as a little less contrived than Storage Wars but I freely admit I haven't seen enough of it to really judge. I'm thinking I don't know which show came first, one seems to be a direct ripoff of the other.

EDIT TO ADD: OK, after watching it longer, I see it's not really the same format. This show focuses on a couple of guys as they travel around from auction to auction, not unlike American Pickers. Then it shows them actually selling the items they've bought.

So far I gotta say I'm enjoying this more. THIS is the format I kept wishing Storage Wars would follow.

Last edited by gh4chiefs; February 13 2011 at 04:09 PM.
gh4chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 09:40 PM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

When are these idiots going to learn that there's times when Dave is bidding up a locker to screw you out of money and to just let him get screwed by the high bid?
Old June 28 2012, 02:16 AM   #44
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Thread Necromancy! I've been watching this show again as a new season starts and setting the DVR to record reruns and, again, it somehow is just an interesting show that's fun and interesting to watch. (In spite of the manufactured-ness of it at times.) Of all of the bidders I think Barry is my favorite.
Old June 28 2012, 02:43 AM   #45
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Third season has been somewhat interesting...there seems to be a "new" cast member emerging named Jeff Jared. This has fast become one of my most addicted and favorite shows, I swear, it's probably the most show I will watch re-runs over and over again for. LOL. Barry's my favorite, followed by Brandi and Jarrod and then Darryl and Brandon (who've been having some problems getting along this season).

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote