Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 2 2011, 08:25 AM   #31
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Out of the folks I've met, I'd say Brent Spiner is the absolute worst experience ever. And from what I've heard & seen from folks who have met him, mine wasn't an isolated thing, he's always a dick at conventions.

On the positive side, I'd say that Wil Wheaton and Rene Auberjonois are the two best to meet. I've met Wil twice, two weeks apart, and he remembered me the second time. When I met Rene, it was an hour or so before his Q&A, and when I stepped up to ask a question at the Q&A, he remembered my name. Now that just put me on cloud nine right there.

Trek Folks I've Met (in order)
- Wil Wheaton
Nicest guy around, seriously.
- Brent Spiner
Dick.
- Michael Dorn
Very quiet - I didn't have a good experience, but others who were at the same convention seemed to walk away with a positive memory.
- John de Lancie
Looks like an uncle, very polite when I talked to him.
- Chase Masterson
Just drop dead beautiful, and so sweet.
- Marina Sirtis
Gorgeous woman, and totally ignored how I embarrassed myself in front of her & Margot Kidder at lunch. And she had several good stories to tell, too bad the con didn't have a Q&A session for her.
- Gates McFadden
Very polite, but quiet.
- Dwight Shultz
Found out he hates his action figures.
- Alan Ruck
So very cool, and curious about how his character has been used in Trek Lit.
- Anne Lockhart
Lovely woman, and the proceeds from her table always go to charity.
- Leonard Nimoy
Very brief meetin' at a free promo screenin' of the latest Star Trek movie, but I loved watchin' it just four seats away from him.
- Rene Auberjonois
Very cool that he remembered my name at the Q&A, and proceeds from his table go to Doctors Without Borders.
- Dean Stockwell
Nice older guy, always takin' cigar breaks - it cracked me up to see him do that.
Old February 3 2011, 01:36 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Frontier wrote: View Post

Nichelle Nichols is one not mentioned much, but she can be a royal snot.
I had a very nice experience with Nichelle. She was very pleasant at my autograph and photo op sessions.

The one and only time I met Nichelle, she seemed very pleasant.
Old February 3 2011, 10:17 AM   #33
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
JiNX-01 wrote: View Post

Nichelle Nichols is one not mentioned much, but she can be a royal snot.
I had a very nice experience with Nichelle. She was very pleasant at my autograph and photo op sessions.

The one and only time I met Nichelle, she seemed very pleasant.
I am really bummed I wasn't able to get to Dallas this past weekend to meet her & the other guests at the Women of SciFi con. I even had a TMP action figure for her to sign.

Unemployment sucks ass.

Old February 4 2011, 10:59 PM   #34
Sal'ira
Lieutenant Junior Grade

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Out of the folks I've met, I'd say Brent Spiner is the absolute worst experience ever. And from what I've heard & seen from folks who have met him, mine wasn't an isolated thing, he's always a dick at conventions.
Was he really? Could you elaborate on what happened? That makes me rather upset because I have so looked forward to seeing him one day. He's one of my favorite Trek actors.

I'm glad Wil Wheaton is nice, I've wanted to meet him, too.
-After Kainon kills Marritza (ST: DS9, "Duet")
Sal'ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 12:42 AM   #35
TheLobes
Commander

Wow, reading this has really put me off conventions!

Even though Ive never met him, Id be happy to punch Robert Beltran in the face, if I wasnt smaller than him, and had ever punched anyone in the face, ever. Theres this video on youtube of him saying how much he hates Voyager and Star Trek. I guess thats fair enough, his opinion and all, but go look at his filmography. Im pretty sure Star Trek has paid for almost everything the guy owns. At least Patrick Stewart is a great actor in his own right.
TheLobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 06:52 AM   #36
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

TheLobes wrote: View Post

Even though Ive never met him, Id be happy to punch Robert Beltran in the face, if I wasnt smaller than him, and had ever punched anyone in the face, ever. Theres this video on youtube of him saying how much he hates Voyager and Star Trek. I guess thats fair enough, his opinion and all, but go look at his filmography. Im pretty sure Star Trek has paid for almost everything the guy owns. At least Patrick Stewart is a great actor in his own right.
Maybe it's because of people like you that some of these stars get a bit weary of cons.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 04:31 PM   #37
TheLobes
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
TheLobes wrote: View Post

Maybe it's because of people like you that some of these stars get a bit weary of cons.

Which part of what I said do you disagree with? Watch the video:

[Removed Link]

Half of me tries to believe that this is just a joke, but there doesnt seem to be any evidence of that. Id like to go to a convention to meet people like Wil Wheaton and Nana Visitor, who seem to really enjoy meeting fans, but the idea of getting in line for this guys autograph really doesnt interest me, its not like my opinion is unfounded.

Last edited by AstroSmurf; February 5 2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Removed video link
Old February 5 2011, 04:56 PM   #38
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ I really don't think we need to go there. This entire thread is sort of treading the line as it is without adding fuel to the fire. I have removed the video.

Feel free to state your personal opinions but lets leave the videos and other "proof" out of this. We have no real idea what perpetuated the behavior and this message board doesn't need to open itself up to libel. Remember, we do not know the full story and the particular actor or con guest in question is not here to properly defend themselves. Post with caution.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 06:08 PM   #39
TheLobes
Commander

Im not arguing to get that video back up, but just to explain myself.

Isnt it better to provide some sort of proof, why is it worse when someone calls Brent Spiner a dick and doesnt provide proof? Someone said I was the sort of person that made stars not want to go to conventions. I didnt include that video in my original post, because I thought it was unnecessary, but when someone attacks me like that I feel the need to stand up for myself.
Old February 5 2011, 07:14 PM   #40
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
-Robin Curtis. A real sweetheart. Even remembered my name hours later.
The same. She's my one and only actor encounter. I met her at a convention on my birthday in 1994 in a brief encounter arranged by my mom in advance just before she went on stage. Very nice and friendly lady. An hour later at the autograph signing session, she remembered us, stood up and led the entire convention in singing Happy birthday to me.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 07:42 PM   #41
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Saxman1 wrote: View Post
My wife and I were at one of Terry Farrell's first conventions and she was either high as a kite or drunk with bloodshot eyes and constantly dropped f-bombs into her talk to the crowd. One of the convention vendors said no one could keep up with her partying!
Sounds like she was channeling Dax.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 07:47 PM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Not exactly STAR TREK, but I enjoyed meeting Ben Browder several years ago. You could tell he was a genuine science fiction fan who was well-read in the literature; he spoke enthusiastically about Larry Niven, Vernor Vinge, etc.

I later sent him a care package of Tor books and he replied with a nice thank-you letter.

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 5 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 08:44 PM   #43
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I met Nichelle Nichols in 1990 at a reception in honor of the 15th anniversary of the Apollo/Soyuz mission. There were a bunch of astronauts there, and Nichelle. They were all polite, but you could feel the arrogance. Nichelle was like an old friend. She chatted a long time. Then a couple of years later I saw her at a convention. She was very distant, and "guarded" by her enterauge. Not out and out rude, but distant.

I've never really had a totally bad experience with any.

I will put my $0.02 in. Cut Walter Keonig some slack. He's had a terrible year. He's back at conventions, but everything must be hard for him these days.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 09:23 PM   #44
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I will put my $0.02 in. Cut Walter Keonig some slack. He's had a terrible year. He's back at conventions, but everything must be hard for him these days.
Yeah, definitely...I cannot imagine what it would be like to be in his position and to lose a child in that way.
Old February 5 2011, 09:42 PM   #45
species5618
Commodore

Avery Brooks gets the award for being the "biggest star" who is nicest. He is so deep and philosophical, yet so down to earth and friendly. He takes the time to shake your hand, ask your name. He's a man of the people, very casual. He also levels with you: he does these shows to say "hello" to the fans. He doesn't promote any projects unless you ask him directly, and even then, he tends to keep that brief! He genuinely enjoys experiencing the diversity of the fans and to see what Star Trek means. I'm left in awe whenever I meet him, because he doesn't have to do that.
100 percent agree. Avery Brooks was great when we met him at FanExpo in Toronto--very friendly and personable.

Of the Trek actors I've met, I have to echo many posters here and say Shatner was the worst, but his ego is so friggin big I'm surprised con organizers can get him inside whatever convention centre he happens to be at.

In order from best to worst out of the Trek actors I've met:

Avery Brooks
Jonathan Frakes
Robert Picardo
John deLancie
Michael Dorn
Brent Spiner
William Shatner

Off topic, the coolest genre actor I've ever met was Michael Hogan (Colonel Tigh on nBSG). Awesome, awesome guy who loved posing for photo after photo (FREE photos, not the posed ones they charge for) and signing stuff (again with no charge) for my friends and I. Oh and then he got drunk with us at the bar.

We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh

Last edited by species5618; February 6 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: forgot about Frakes
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote