RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,324
Posts: 5,352,766
Members: 24,617
Currently online: 721
Newest member: CaptXeno

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 1 2011, 08:12 PM   #211
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

I concur with what Christopher said; I'm fine with embracing nostalgia, but Saban seems to be doing it in ways that are, to me at least, borderline uncreative and lazy. There are a myriad of different ways that they could embrace the nostalgia of the franchise that don't involve blatantly re-using the MMPR theme instead of recording a completely new theme and introducing elements of the original MMPR theme into said new theme the way they have in the past, and that don't involve re-using an element of a particular character's characterization that is completely and explicitely linked to a certain period of said character's characterization. I said this in another thread on another board, but there are ways to use Bulk as a 'physical comedy' character that don't involve partially reverting him back to the way he was characterized in the first season of MMPR.

Power Rangers Dino Thunder, a season that I don't particularly like all that much because of some issues I have with regards to the continuity of the franchise, embraced the nostalgia concept wholeheartedly, but did it in a way that wasn't so borderline lazy and uncreative; I also maintain that the writers embraced nostalgia with regards to Ninja Storm, taking the franchise back to its early MMPR roots but without undermining anything that had accomplished in terms of the increasing sophistication of the franchise's writing and storytelling that had occurred up to the time that NS premiered. I've made this assertion many times before, but nearly every single character and situation within NS has an analogue or parallel - or multiple analogues or parallels - that can be found and drawn between it and MMPR, coupled with the lessons that had been learned from Zeo through Wild Force in terms of how to tell a compelling, coherent, and consistent story arc instead of just living 'episode to episode'.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:20 PM   #212
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

I agree with the regression of Bulk's character though.

He was a competent bartender/advisor in "Lost Galaxy" giving advice to Mike. By then we didn't need to see him get his pants ripped or get juice thrown in his face.

Maybe Bulk in "Samurai" will be a blending of old and new.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:35 PM   #213
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

I don't think Bulk as seen here is quite as bad as he was in MMPR season 1. There, he and Skull were just bullies who showed up to make trouble and had it backfire messily on them, week after week after week. That was boring and pointless. What made Bulk and Skull interesting in later seasons was that they acquired a purpose, a goal that was more focused, engaging, and sympathetic than just being troublemakers. In season 2, that purpose was finding out who the Power Rangers were, while in season 3 and Zeo, it was being cops/detectives (and adding Lt. Stone as the Sgt. Carter to their Gomers Pyle helped improve the comedy as well).

Here, Bulk seems to have a purpose: to open and run a dojo, to be a sensei. That seems to tie into the focus of the season as a whole. Sure, he's a klutz about it and got splattered in the face like his high-school self, but maybe that was just a one-time thing for nostalgia. It wasn't "he's being mean and it backfires," it was more that he's trying to do something useful and is just clumsy about it.

Anyway, do we know if this is a recurring/regular role for Bulk, or just a one-shot?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:46 PM   #214
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

Christopher, answering your question, Schrier is signed on to be a recurring cast member.

Regarding Bulk and the issues I have with them re-using the 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag, it's not so much that his characterization itself has been reverted, but that they've chosen to use a gag that is explicitely linked in with a particular point in his characterization, which sort of serves to undermine the characterization evolution he'd underwent in MMPR Season 3 and beyond, since, as time went on, we saw less and less evidence of him actually being portrayed as clumsy.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:49 PM   #215
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Power Rangers

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i hope that Skull does show up eventually. i wonder if Spike will eventually become Samurai Gold?
They've already cast Samurai Gold around the same time with the main five

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Steven_Skyler

http://www.rangerboard.com/showpost....postcount=7957
ah, i wasn't aware. i just thought he might make a good Samurai Gold since ShinkenGold is not at all like the other Shinkengers.
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:55 PM   #216
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Christopher, answering your question, Schrier is signed on to be a recurring cast member.
Thanks.

Regarding Bulk and the issues I have with them re-using the 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag, it's not so much that his characterization itself has been reverted, but that they've chosen to use a gag that is explicitely linked in with a particular point in his characterization, which sort of serves to undermine the characterization evolution he'd underwent in MMPR Season 3 and beyond, since, as time went on, we saw less and less evidence of him actually being portrayed as clumsy.
Point taken. However, as I said, maybe this single gag was just a one-time thing for nostalgia, rather than something that will be done every time Bulk shows up. I wouldn't bet on it, given my low expectations for this show, but we can at least hope.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:57 PM   #217
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

^ I wouldn't count on it either; I'm glad, however, that there's at least one person out there who shares my sentiments and agrees with them, as opposed to a bunch of people on another board telling me I'm 'being silly' because of my argument, concerns, and disappointments in this regard.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:58 PM   #218
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Anyway, do we know if this is a recurring/regular role for Bulk, or just a one-shot?
He and his nephew are there to lighten up a fairly humorless adaption since they're sticking close to "Shinkenger"

No doubt he'll also be important in this episode adaptation since he's a samurai enthusiast


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKHQdrzgn0
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 09:25 PM   #219
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ I wouldn't count on it either; I'm glad, however, that there's at least one person out there who shares my sentiments and agrees with them, as opposed to a bunch of people on another board telling me I'm 'being silly' because of my argument, concerns, and disappointments in this regard.
If you have to bring up the argument on rangerboard here, at least admit that they only started telling you you'e being silly, after you pretty much said "I write stories in my free time, that's why I'm an expert and you're wrong".
Takeru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 10:27 PM   #220
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

Takeru wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ I wouldn't count on it either; I'm glad, however, that there's at least one person out there who shares my sentiments and agrees with them, as opposed to a bunch of people on another board telling me I'm 'being silly' because of my argument, concerns, and disappointments in this regard.
If you have to bring up the argument on rangerboard here, at least admit that they only started telling you you'e being silly, after you pretty much said "I write stories in my free time, that's why I'm an expert and you're wrong".
Takeru, I didn't mean for my comments to be taken the way they were, and apologized for offending anyone with said comments, and yet still received the following reply:
JDF'd wrote: View Post
You're not offending anyone. You're just being silly. We all like to philosophize about our favorite kids' show from time to time but you're taking it to the point of stupidity.

Don't compare Bulk to Tommy. There are not on the same level. Bulk had one transition and one transition only to make in Power Rangers. He went from a mean bumbler to a nice bumbler. Once that was fully established his character grown was DONE and that's a good thing. Some characters are actually meant to remain static as a way to better illustrate those around them. His exploits during "King for a Day" and "Countdown to Destruction" were merely meant to further show off just how good he and Skull had become.

He's not going to lose any character growth just because he gets hit by things. That has always and will always be a part of who he is. It's just that in later seasons they relied on it less. Hell, in later season they relied on Bulk and Skull less in general.

But hey, if the same wacky comedy that we've always gotten suddenly offends your writer's eye now then by all means it's your right to feel insulting. I can hear your monocle popping off in horror as I type this.
I brought up the fact that I write in my spare time as a way to give my argument some additional substance since people seemed to be rejecting it out of hand, and ended up being criticized for coming across as arrogant; when I apologized and said that I didn't mean to offend people, I got told that I'm being silly and that my argument has no merit. It's one thing to criticize me for comments that came across as being arrogant even though that was not the intent at all, and quite another to say that I'm silly and borderline stupid for thinking the way that I do, especially after I apologized for the comments I had made that people had perceived as arrogant.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 12:32 AM   #221
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Paul Schrier interview. He's back in full bulk attire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlqvboei9eo


Also a look at the intro to Power Ranger Samurai on EW too!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/01/po...ve/#more-32357
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 12:40 AM   #222
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Gokaiger's 6th ranger is revealed in toy catalog

dukemon22 wrote: View Post
-GokaiSilver is the 6th Ranger

-Transformer with the GokaiCellular. Able to achieve a "Complete Form", becoming GokaiGold. Comes with the GokaiSilver key.

-GokaiSpear; GokaiSilver's weapon. Has a 3-step transformation. Comes with DragonRanger key

-GokaiSilver to GokaiGold Henshin Figure. Comes with GokaiGold transformation key.

-6th Ranger Weapons Set (ZyuSouken and Rocket Booster, etc.)

-Ranger Key Sets 2 and 3. (This lists 3 as the full Goranger team)

-Joint Gattai DekarangerRobo, MagiKing, and later on, ShinkenOh and DaiZyuJin






Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 02:51 AM   #223
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Holy crap, the sixth Ranger's breastplate is covered with the helmets of other sixth Rangers.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 04:51 AM   #224
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: Cybertron
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Power Rangers

Yeah, I was just going to ask if he defeated their evil scale model counterparts from a parallel universe or something.
__________________

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."


Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 07:30 AM   #225
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Power Rangers

it looks kinda dumb with all the heads. maybe it will look better when on film.
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
power rangers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.