RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,581
Posts: 5,403,396
Members: 24,864
Currently online: 563
Newest member: Griznuq

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 1 2011, 12:54 AM   #196
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Bulk(Paul Schrier) returns for Power Ranger: Samurai. Check out the clip with his nephew.


http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/31...s-bulk-returns
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 12:58 AM   #197
SG-17
Commodore
 
SG-17's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Power Rangers

It doesn't look like he has aged at all.

Also I am guessing that the kid is Skull's son.


Also here it is on Youtube for those who don't like IGN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_hSqcBdpE
__________________
Programs that I currently enjoy:
The Legend of Korra | Falling Skies | Hell on Wheels | Archer | The Borgias | Arrow

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 01:36 AM   #198
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Good to see Bulk again (how exactly did he get back from Mirinoi?), and I hope it's a recurring role. But the "nephew" is a poor substitute for Skull. Schrier and Narvy had a great comic rapport, and having just one of them back isn't the same.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 02:44 AM   #199
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

I wonder if he's going to be the Richard Brown of the series.

In Shinkenger there was an episode where a foreigner wanted to learn to be a Samurai so he studied under the blue ranger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKHQdrzgn0

Thankfully he was in only one episode
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 02:59 AM   #200
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral
 
I Am The Walrus's Avatar
 
Location: Saga
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Power Rangers

aw, Mister Brown wasn't that bad of a character.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:08 AM   #201
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Good to see Bulk again (how exactly did he get back from Mirinoi?), ...
He probably used a spaceship, interstellar travel in the PR universe is not a big deal. But he has been back on earth for almost a decade, it's not Samurai's job or even necessary to explain it.

I hope the nephew is Skull's and Kimberly's son, they had a lot of chemistry and that they got married has been fanon for years and almost became canon in Wild Force.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:14 AM   #202
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Location: Sephiroth
Re: Power Rangers

how is it the Bulk and Skull spinoff never happened again?
__________________
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 09:35 AM   #203
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

As excited as I am for the new season, there are a couple of decisions that have been made in regards to it that I really don't agree with. The first is the decision to apparently re-use the old MMPR theme (albeit a remixed version) as the theme song for the new season, and the second is the decision to recycle the old 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag. The problem I have with the re-use of the theme song is that, to me, it feels kind of lazy since the theme really has absolutely nothing whatsoever - aside from two changed lines - to do with the Samurai theme of the next season, and the problem I have with re-using the 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag is because it reflects and is predicated upon an aspect of Bulk's characterization that hasn't been relevant to the character since the second season of MMPR, and it feels like it undermines in some ways all of the characterization evolutions the character went through over the years.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.
"There is no 'supposed to be.' It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 10:04 AM   #204
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
The problem I have with the re-use of the theme song is that, to me, it feels kind of lazy since the theme really has absolutely nothing whatsoever - aside from two changed lines - to do with the Samurai theme of the next season, ...
The song also had nothing whatsoever to do with the changing themes of MMPR.
Having a generic (and well known!) theme that can be reused with minor tweaks for future seasons is not a bad thing. The MMPR theme still makes people turn their heads, it was even used in Guitar Heroes, it's smart to use it, it will get Power Rangers Samurai attention.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:56 PM   #205
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Takeru wrote: View Post
I hope the nephew is Skull's and Kimberly's son, they had a lot of chemistry and that they got married has been fanon for years and almost became canon in Wild Force.
Eww! This is why I avoid fanfic...

Besides, if Spike is literally Bulk's nephew, then he'd have to be the offspring of one of Bulk's siblings. Neither Eugene Skullovitch nor Kimberly Hart has any biological relationship to Farkas Bulkmeier. Perhaps Skull married Bulk's sister?


DigificWriter wrote: View Post
As excited as I am for the new season, there are a couple of decisions that have been made in regards to it that I really don't agree with. The first is the decision to apparently re-use the old MMPR theme (albeit a remixed version) as the theme song for the new season, and the second is the decision to recycle the old 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag. The problem I have with the re-use of the theme song is that, to me, it feels kind of lazy since the theme really has absolutely nothing whatsoever - aside from two changed lines - to do with the Samurai theme of the next season, and the problem I have with re-using the 'hit Bulk in the face with stuff' gag is because it reflects and is predicated upon an aspect of Bulk's characterization that hasn't been relevant to the character since the second season of MMPR, and it feels like it undermines in some ways all of the characterization evolutions the character went through over the years.
I agree about the theme song, and I tend to agree about Bulk. Still, slapstick remained a part of Bulk & Skull's act throughout their tenure, to some extent at least. There's room for it if used judiciously. However, what I've seen of this show so far doesn't give me any hope that the humor will have any intelligence, nuance, or quality to it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 06:15 PM   #206
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Bulk(Paul Schrier) returns for Power Ranger: Samurai. Check out the clip with his nephew.


http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/31...s-bulk-returns

I don't understand what the appeal of this content is to an adult? That's not snark, I honestly don't understand why an adult would get from that scene?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 06:52 PM   #207
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I don't understand what the appeal of this content is to an adult? That's not snark, I honestly don't understand why an adult would get from that scene?
Why ask the question? Power Rangers has always been a kids' show first and foremost. Some of its seasons have had qualities that appealed to adults -- sometimes in the writing and stories, sometimes merely in the sex appeal of the cast -- but it's always been targeted primarily at young viewers.

For myself, I was never that fond of the slapstick aspects of Bulk & Skull -- I hated them in the first season -- but I came to appreciate the comic rapport of the actors once they got better material in subsequent seasons. So for me, the only appeal of that scene is nostalgia, getting to see Paul Schrier back in action. Overall, though, I've seen nothing else about Samurai that makes me think I'll like it much.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 07:15 PM   #208
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral
 
I Am The Walrus's Avatar
 
Location: Saga
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Power Rangers

i hope that Skull does show up eventually. i wonder if Spike will eventually become Samurai Gold?
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 07:50 PM   #209
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i hope that Skull does show up eventually. i wonder if Spike will eventually become Samurai Gold?
They've already cast Samurai Gold around the same time with the main five

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Steven_Skyler

http://www.rangerboard.com/showpost....postcount=7957



DigificWriter wrote: View Post
The problem I have with the re-use of the theme song is that, to me, it feels kind of lazy since the theme really has absolutely nothing whatsoever - aside from two changed lines - to do with the Samurai theme of the next season
It's becoming clear that this season is trying to spark some nostalgia(bulk, remixed theme)

Power Ranger's is on it's third life cycle now and giving nod to the past might re-energize it.

Which makes me think Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger will be gold to Saban. All the nod's to the past and ranger's fighting along side each other. You can't past that up.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 08:02 PM   #210
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

^The problem for me is, they're embracing nostalgia for the worst seasons of Power Rangers. MMPR was a really, really bad show in its first season; the only good thing about it was the cast. It got better in seasons 2 and 3, but it was still well below the quality of later seasons.

I can understand them embracing nostalgia for the most famous and popular incarnation of the franchise, but it's always sad when popularity and quality are two different things. And it's frustrating. With RPM, the franchise reached a new level of maturity. Not only was it smarter, richer, and better-written than ever before, but funnier than ever before as well. And now it looks like they're trying to undo all that maturation and revert to the franchise's infancy.

I dunno, maybe that's a sound strategy for hooking a new generation of young viewers who will sustain the franchise for another 20 years as they grow up with it. But for adult fans like me, it's a disappointment.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
power rangers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.