RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,395
Posts: 5,505,579
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 464
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 31 2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Best Audio Book?

I'm sure there must be a thread, I've searched back 5 pages, and used search functioned, and didn't find it.

I listen to Audiobooks on my commute, and the only Dr. Who I've listened to are The Tennant/Rose "Ressurection Casket" and the "Tales From the Tardis" CD with an Iris Wildtyme adventure (The big Cat Family one) and the other story had The Master having Imprisoned 3 (played by Nicholas Courtney) and Jo [I think?] played by Sophie Aldred in a cage meant for The Master.

I've just obtained Paul McGann's Shada, so what do I need to obtain next in the Audio arena, what's your "Can't be a real fan without" Audio Drama?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

<Oh and Mods, Feel free to use my post to bump a prior thread if that's more appropriate>
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 01:40 AM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Oh, wow. There's a LOT of audio out there. Besides the awesomeness that is Six, what are your favorite subjects?

And when I saw a lot, I mean Big Finish alone has well over 200 titles available, not just with the Doctors but with Iris, Gallifrey has its own three-season miniseries, Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, and Sarah Jane has her own spin-off audio series that's 9 cds long.

Hmmm. I'm going to suggest an earlier title called Spare Parts. It's not a Six, but that's ok. It's Five, and an adventure on Mondas, which if you're a fan of the Cybermen, you'll recognize straight away.

There are a couple on here who have all of the titles and could give you everything you could possibly want to know about them. It might help them if you narrow down what stories you enjoyed, then they can suggest audios that are similar.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Best Audio Book?

I've only ever heard missing episode audio.

Power of the Daleks read by Tom Baker is my favourite.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 03:44 AM   #4
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS
 
The Scrooge Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: Emh
Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Best Audio Book?

I'll second the suggestion for Spare Parts. Simply an amazing story through and through. I would also recommend (and I'm surprised Omaha didn't suggest it because it is The Sixth Doctor) The Holy Terror. Don't let the fact that The Doctor's companion is a penguin bother you because Frobisher is full of awesome.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Oh, wow. There's a LOT of audio out there. Besides the awesomeness that is Six, what are your favorite subjects?

And when I saw a lot, I mean Big Finish alone has well over 200 titles available, not just with the Doctors but with Iris, Gallifrey has its own three-season miniseries, Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, and Sarah Jane has her own spin-off audio series that's 9 cds long.

Hmmm. I'm going to suggest an earlier title called Spare Parts. It's not a Six, but that's ok. It's Five, and an adventure on Mondas, which if you're a fan of the Cybermen, you'll recognize straight away.

There are a couple on here who have all of the titles and could give you everything you could possibly want to know about them. It might help them if you narrow down what stories you enjoyed, then they can suggest audios that are similar.
In the show, I've always liked the multiple Doctor Stories, The Master, The Rani, Gallifrey/Time Lord Mythology. Enemy Alien Races, like most of them, Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarrans, etc.

Candlelight and EMH, thanks for your replies as well.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Hennessy Badger
Fleet Captain
 
Hennessy Badger's Avatar
 
Re: Best Audio Book?

One of my favorite DW audios is Big Finish's Doctor Who Unbound: Masters of War.

The story takes place in an alternate universe. The doctor is played by the amazing David Warner, and his companion is Alister Lethbridge-Stewart!

I love that the tardis is occupied by these two (occasionally grumpy) old men - engaging in adventures better suited for youngins like 11 and Pond.

It is a great dalek-centric story, with daleks that are actually intimidating for a change. There are some surprising twists and turns. I found myself attached to the supporting characters, and the ending is quite satisfying.

If you're looking for a one-off, self-contained DW audio adventure, this is easily one of the best.
__________________
"Gene Roddenberry used to say that Star Trek is a way of saying that the way things are is not the way they have to be. It's about imagining other possibilities, better possibilities." - David Gerrold
Hennessy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain
 
Capt_Pickirk's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny ol' Blighty
Re: Best Audio Book?

Masters of war is a sequel to another one with the same characters. And it is indeed excellent.
__________________
Capt_Pickirk... also known as Greenpenguino everywhere else but here. Because everywhere else is more awesome than here...

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 09:55 PM   #8
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS
 
The Scrooge Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: Emh
Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Best Audio Book?

I much prefer Sympathy of the Devil (the first Unbound with David Warner). I think it has a stronger story and cast (including pre-Doctor David Tennant). I really don't like one of the twists is Masters of War and takes a lot from the story for me.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:01 AM   #9
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Oh, wow. There's a LOT of audio out there. Besides the awesomeness that is Six, what are your favorite subjects?

And when I saw a lot, I mean Big Finish alone has well over 200 titles available, not just with the Doctors but with Iris, Gallifrey has its own three-season miniseries, Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, and Sarah Jane has her own spin-off audio series that's 9 cds long.

Hmmm. I'm going to suggest an earlier title called Spare Parts. It's not a Six, but that's ok. It's Five, and an adventure on Mondas, which if you're a fan of the Cybermen, you'll recognize straight away.

There are a couple on here who have all of the titles and could give you everything you could possibly want to know about them. It might help them if you narrow down what stories you enjoyed, then they can suggest audios that are similar.
So, tell me some more about the Gallifrey 3 Season mini-series, what does that mean

(Runtime per "episode" and # of "episodes"
is the Doctor included, which one,
overall title of Mini-series and specific "episode" titles, maybe?)

Spare Parts sounds fascinating as does David Warner performing an Alt-Universe story/series (Loved his performance in B5)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:39 AM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, tell me some more about the Gallifrey 3 Season mini-series, what does that mean

(Runtime per "episode" and # of "episodes"
is the Doctor included, which one,
overall title of Mini-series and specific "episode" titles, maybe?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallifr...udio_series%29 ... That link might be of interest. Each episode is one cd, and it's about an hour long, I believe. The stars are Romana II (now President Romana, having returned from e-Space), Leela (who remained behind on Gallifrey) and their two K9 units. I don't believe any of the Doctors made appearances, though Maxil does, which is kind of cool.



Spare Parts sounds fascinating as does David Warner performing an Alt-Universe story/series (Loved his performance in B5)
Ah, then I'd certainly suggest picking up both of David Warner's "unbound" cds. Not only will you find that B5 guest, but Sarah Douglas (aka Death Walker) ... and I think it's the second of those that has David Tennant doing the voice of a soldier. He did a lot of voiceover work before being cast as the Doctor.

The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind ... I *think* that's the name of the other cd I wanted to mention. Kate O'Mara has only done one bit of audio work as the Rani, and it follows her adventure after Time and the Rani, sort of leading into Dimensions in Time.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 05:35 AM   #11
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, tell me some more about the Gallifrey 3 Season mini-series, what does that mean

(Runtime per "episode" and # of "episodes"
is the Doctor included, which one,
overall title of Mini-series and specific "episode" titles, maybe?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallifr...udio_series%29 ... That link might be of interest. Each episode is one cd, and it's about an hour long, I believe. The stars are Romana II (now President Romana, having returned from e-Space), Leela (who remained behind on Gallifrey) and their two K9 units. I don't believe any of the Doctors made appearances, though Maxil does, which is kind of cool.



Spare Parts sounds fascinating as does David Warner performing an Alt-Universe story/series (Loved his performance in B5)
Ah, then I'd certainly suggest picking up both of David Warner's "unbound" cds. Not only will you find that B5 guest, but Sarah Douglas (aka Death Walker) ... and I think it's the second of those that has David Tennant doing the voice of a soldier. He did a lot of voiceover work before being cast as the Doctor.

The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind ... I *think* that's the name of the other cd I wanted to mention. Kate O'Mara has only done one bit of audio work as the Rani, and it follows her adventure after Time and the Rani, sort of leading into Dimensions in Time.
Ooh, Dimensions in Time...Where did it come from? I watched it on Youtube after Time Crash, and was shocked to see A Dr. Who Episode set within the East Enders Set/characters...? And all the Doctors and Companions...It was fun. I asked about it in "Recently Watched Stories", I believe and no one responded.

Unbound sounds Way cool, Sarah Douglas is awesome, would love to see her also come to NuV (along with Michael Ironside)

Gallifrey sounds way cool too, but John Leeson is both K9s?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 09:22 AM   #12
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS
 
The Scrooge Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: Emh
Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ooh, Dimensions in Time...Where did it come from? I watched it on Youtube after Time Crash, and was shocked to see A Dr. Who Episode set within the East Enders Set/characters...? And all the Doctors and Companions...It was fun. I asked about it in "Recently Watched Stories", I believe and no one responded.
"Dimension in Time" was a charity episode made for Children of Need that featured both Doctor Who and EastEnders as part of the former's 30th anniversary. While most fans hate it, I think it's nice to see all of the companions mismatched with the various Doctors. Plus we get the on one screen interaction between The Sixth Doctor and The Brigadier. The production initially began as "The Dark Dimension" which would have been a darker story but complications arose that prevented this from happening.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Gallifrey sounds way cool too, but John Leeson is both K9s?
Yes but it's not too confusing. Plus, you get to hear a lot of squabbling between the two units.

__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 02:27 AM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

I have Series 1-3 of the Gallifrey Adventures coming (Last episode Gallifrey: Panacea), and I can't find any sign of Series 4 beginning with Gallifrey: Reborn? I've checked Amazon, B&N, Ebay, and less reputable locations, and no sign. Is Series 4 an upcoming Series?

Oh, and how does this all fit in with Paul McGann's Shada? I recall hearing a clip where McGann referred to Romana as Lord President (Or a similar honorific)

EDIT: DUH: I just noticed the spoiler in the previous post is marked "Spoiler about upcoming Series 4". The other question about how Shada fits, still applies though
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; February 2 2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Reread previous reply
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 03:35 AM   #14
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and how does this all fit in with Paul McGann's Shada? I recall hearing a clip where McGann referred to Romana as Lord President (Or a similar honorific)
Let's see if I remember this order correctly ... There are a few stories that lead up to the 50th in the Big Finish range, a title called Zagreus. It's a monster of a story, taking a full 3 cds to tell, and every Doctor and companion who had done work for Big Finish to date (and a few who hadn't yet) came in as various characters. It was the first time Five, Six, Seven, and Eight had been together in a story. There's also a very nice surprise cameo by someone near and dear to all of us Who fans. I won't spoil it for you, and I hope no one else does before you get the chance to hear the story for yourself.

During that adventure, Leela and Romana meet. This is the launching point for the initial Gallifrey series (season), which stars the two of them.

If I'm not mistaken, Romana as the President has adventures with all of the Doctors (Five through Eight). Shada is one of them. As mentioned above, Eight wants an adventure with Romana, so he goes to Gallifrey, grabs her by the hand and says "Let's have tea" then drags her to the Tardis and off they go. Or something like that.

If you keep in mind that they're all time travelers, it'll be a lot easier on you. Trying to figure out where they are in the Doctor's timeline is hard but doable. Trying to do that with Romana as well is probably impossible. Just remember that she's the president for a very long time, up through and including Eight's stories, and you'll be fine.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2011, 03:49 AM   #15
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and how does this all fit in with Paul McGann's Shada? I recall hearing a clip where McGann referred to Romana as Lord President (Or a similar honorific)
Let's see if I remember this order correctly ... There are a few stories that lead up to the 50th in the Big Finish range, a title called Zagreus. It's a monster of a story, taking a full 3 cds to tell, and every Doctor and companion who had done work for Big Finish to date (and a few who hadn't yet) came in as various characters. It was the first time Five, Six, Seven, and Eight had been together in a story. There's also a very nice surprise cameo by someone near and dear to all of us Who fans. I won't spoil it for you, and I hope no one else does before you get the chance to hear the story for yourself.

During that adventure, Leela and Romana meet. This is the launching point for the initial Gallifrey series (season), which stars the two of them.

If I'm not mistaken, Romana as the President has adventures with all of the Doctors (Five through Eight). Shada is one of them. As mentioned above, Eight wants an adventure with Romana, so he goes to Gallifrey, grabs her by the hand and says "Let's have tea" then drags her to the Tardis and off they go. Or something like that.

If you keep in mind that they're all time travelers, it'll be a lot easier on you. Trying to figure out where they are in the Doctor's timeline is hard but doable. Trying to do that with Romana as well is probably impossible. Just remember that she's the president for a very long time, up through and including Eight's stories, and you'll be fine.
I read about Zagreus somewhere, but, couldn't remember the title, nor could I remember where I saw it, thanks.

Oh, i have no problem, understanding that you can meet someone in your future, from your past. Look at River, she's one of these sort of Paradoxes. I also understand that just because Pertwee only ran into Delgado Master onscreen, it doesn't mean he didn't battle against Simm (but, as River would say, "That would be Spoilers" if they had shown it on TV)

Off to look for Zagreus
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.