Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 17 2011, 09:06 AM   #121
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
That's what I meant by my post... it's probably Transparent Aluminum, a material we already know that exists in the Trek-verse, a transparent METAL.

Why do a lot of these people keep thinking it was GLASS?
Because of the sound effect when it cracks.

Besides, the transparent aluminium windows in Generations shattered like glass too...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 09:29 PM   #122
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Hell, the transparent aluminum catwalk in "Heart of Glory" shattered EXACTLY like glass when Korris crashed through it.
Old January 20 2011, 01:15 PM   #123
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

If they're going to have windows elsewhere on the ship they may as well have one on thew bridge. It will always be a ships weak point.
They're explorers can you imagine the lunar module being windowless. We want to see things with our own eyes that's why we visit places rather than just watch documentary footage.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 05:31 AM   #124
Capt. L. Tocher
Ensign

I personally loved the movie. It did have its flaws, but nowhere near as many as some of the previous movies. And I liked Nemesis too. I guess I fit the bill of the new generation of SFX and fancy flashiness, but I enjoy the slower stuff aswell. Nemisis had a good story and some great action, as did this new movie, as did all the other movies. I have yet to watch anything Star Trek I didn't like.

And lots of people argue the special effects... but why? What's wrong with seeing your favourite ship to a barrel roll firing torpedoes and crap? I live for exciting views of the Enterprise.

That was actually one of my main complaints about Trek: the ships are so damn slow. Really, in space, there's nothing to weigh them down. If the pilot's skilled enough, it should be able to fly around like a jet fighter. Perhaps even more agile. Never made sense to me having them float by like sluggish boats stuck in mud.

Also also why so much new Enterprise hate? It's a beautiful ship, and just another version of the same thing. Of course everyone has a right to their own opinion, but it's definitely one of my top favourite ship designs. And that scene where it pops up from Saturn's rings... that scene was the most epic thing to hit movie screens... ever.

My 2... or 8... cents.
Capt. L. Tocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 07:43 PM   #125
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Capt. L. Tocher wrote: View Post
That was actually one of my main complaints about Trek: the ships are so damn slow. Really, in space, there's nothing to weigh them down. If the pilot's skilled enough, it should be able to fly around like a jet fighter. Perhaps even more agile. Never made sense to me having them float by like sluggish boats stuck in mud.
Mass. The larger a ship, the more mass it has, the more energy is needed to move and maneuver it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 08:00 PM   #126
Captain Mike
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mass. The larger a ship, the more mass it has, the more energy is needed to move and maneuver it.
Agreed. The "Abramsprise" seems so much a conglomaration of all the onscreen Enterprise's that it is almost a "kit-bash" of them.
Old January 30 2011, 08:14 PM   #127
ST-One
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Christopher Bennett has a nice explanation for Trek's fast-moving huge ships in his Ex Machina: even under impulse power the ships are enveloped in a warp field that reduces the ships' inertial mass to a fraction of what it actually is.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote