Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 30 2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Jeff Tube
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

We've all got our fav's but who, in your opinion, is the biggest numpty associated with Trek?

Who fails to live up to their on screen persona?
Jeff Tube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 04:18 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Oh, that's easy. Shatner.
Old January 30 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I still love the Shat, but the fact that he won't even shake your hand is a bit obnoxious.
Old January 30 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
sonak
Vice Admiral

I'm not a convention-goer, but I keep hearing horror stories about how rude he is at these things. Why do people go when he's the main guest, and don't the people putting the convention on get pissed off at him for his behavior? Aren't there complaints and stuff?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I saw him and Avery Brooks in Chicago last year. Avery Brooks shook my hand, tried to remember my name from when I got my autograph from him earlier in the day (he didn't, but credit to him for recognizing me and trying) and when we took the picture, we have our arms wrapped around each other like old buddies. Shatner didn't speak to me, wouldn't shake my hand, and almost cringed when I got my picture taken with him and put my hand on his shoulder.

That said, the line for Avery Brooks was maybe 25-50 people long. For Shatner, it had to be about 500 people long. I don't think Creation cares how he acts when he's bringing in cash like that.
Old January 30 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
sonak
Vice Admiral

Well yeah I guess if he continues to bring in the fans they'd be happy. Kind of sad that some folks care more about who the bigger names are than who are the nicer people.(although this doesn't apply if they don't know about the way Shatner acts at these things, but there are a lot of stories out there)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I saw him and Avery Brooks in Chicago last year. Avery Brooks shook my hand, tried to remember my name from when I got my autograph from him earlier in the day (he didn't, but credit to him for recognizing me and trying) and when we took the picture, we have our arms wrapped around each other like old buddies.
I agree, even if he didn't catch your name, the fact that he tried is good. Having been in customer service, I know how important it is to try to remember at least something about the customer. Even if I blank out on a name--which I do often--if I remember something about a customer's purchasing habits and special requests, or some story they told me, it really brightens that person's day.

I realize acting isn't customer service, but putting together a convention is, in a way.

It seems to me that if an actor doesn't like cons, don't they have a choice not to attend them rather than take that dislike out on people?
Old January 31 2011, 02:37 AM   #8
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

I met Shatner last summer at Vegas. No issues, there.

Patrick Stewart on the other hand ....

I dropped $60 on him (Chiller Theater Expo) for an autograph (not even personalized). It was the scene in The Inner Light where his wife dies. I picked it because Stewart's son was in the scene and was also signing autographs. There was nobody else there at the time so I started to tell Patrick about how much I enjoyed episode. He just stood up and walked away. What an .

Daniel was very nice. He even personalized the autograph. Based on my experience, I'm assuming he was raised by his mother.
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 10:50 PM   #9
ClayinCA
Commodore

I've often heard that about Stewart. A great shame.

I've never had a bad experience with a Trek guest, happily enough. I've seen John deLancie be very rude to other conventiongoers, but he was nice enough to me. Mark Lenard was a bit of a blank slate, but he'd had a long day and I'm sure he was tired.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

^ I met deLancie in an elevator once. He was a bit of a prick. When he's at cons, doing the con thing, he seems lively and pleasant enough. Never bothered to get his autograph after that first meeting with him, though.
Old February 1 2011, 03:25 AM   #11
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I once went to a convention that featured George Takei and Marc Alaimo. From the get-go George was his usual ebullient self, but Alaimo was quite surly. Very curt with people, and just really didn't seem to want to be there. By the second half of the day though, he got into the swing of things and was having a merry old time of it all. Laughing and joking with George at the signing table, messing around with fans, he just seemed to be having a blast.

The only reason I mention this boring little story is that the actors are people too, and often have an off day (or half) and that you can't really judge them from that one encounter. (Much as it can be crushing for the fan.)

Personally, this is the only time a Trek actor been even remotely rude to fans.

That's not to say some of them aren't jerks, of course.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 03:40 AM   #12
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

That definitely does sound unusual for Alaimo, from what I've usually heard. Probably got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning--and you're right, we can all have a day like that (sounds like some days in my old job when I just did not want to be there, and it took awhile to get my "customer face" turned on). Glad to hear he got back to "normal" later.
Old February 1 2011, 03:56 AM   #13
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Glad to hear he got back to "normal" later.
Me too.

This was back in about '96, I believe, and I had little experience meeting Trek stars, so it definitely soured me a bit at first. Once he cheered up though, my disappointment dissolved and left behind the realisation that I had snap-judged him.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 04:27 AM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

sonak wrote: View Post
Well yeah I guess if he continues to bring in the fans they'd be happy. Kind of sad that some folks care more about who the bigger names are than who are the nicer people.(although this doesn't apply if they don't know about the way Shatner acts at these things, but there are a lot of stories out there)
I think who is going to die next comes into it as well. I know that factor has me ebay'ing some crap to buy tickets to see Shatner.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2011, 05:06 AM   #15
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Shatner is the only Trek actor I ever saw being rude to fans, vendors and convention staff. I saw this several times in my convention days. Yes, everyone has a bad day or three, but when it becomes the regular pattern it is the fault of none but Shatner.