Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 25 2011, 09:59 PM   #31
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

That map has so many spelling mistakes and contradictions. In the size chart down the bottom Aquaria and Scorpia are spelt wrong.
Old January 25 2011, 10:02 PM   #32
Candlelight
Admiral

BSG Wiki has updated to reflect the new map.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Th..._Colonies_(RDM)
Old January 25 2011, 10:08 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But once they started seriously considering settling down (Kobol, New Caprica, etc.) they never once mentioned terraforming or anything resembling it. New Caprica would've been the ideal time to drop at least a reference to it. From everything presented on screen there was no evidence that the Colonials had any capabilities that could modify a planet's climate or atmospheric composition.
Well, if they didn't have the technology with them, nor the ability to replicate it, I see no reason why it would come up in conversation (much of the settling of New Caprica takes place in the one year jump off-screen, anyway).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old January 26 2011, 12:00 AM   #34
Dark Gilligan
Writer

If the Colonials had terraforming technology at any point, odds are at least 1 or 2 out of the 50,000 survivors would have some knowledge of it. It was never even mentioned which tells me it's a capability they do not and did not possess.
I'm not sure what you mean by terraforming technology or capability. We ourselves already know how to terraform; we've had that knowledge for decades. What we don't have is power or capacity. (And don't conjure up notions of vast atmo-producing machines as seen in Serenity. That's the stuff of fairy tales.)

The easiest way to terraform a planet like Mars, for example, is to bombard it with ice-rich comets harvested from the Oort Cloud. There's your oxygen and water. Lace the clouds with earthly bacteria and you're on your way.

Granted, a terraforming effort would take centuries if not millennia. But we could begin the process today, IF we had the power. We don't. Nothing in BSG suggested the rag-tag fleet had that kind of power either.
Old January 26 2011, 12:25 AM   #35
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
fett51 wrote: View Post
That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.
Troy looks like it could be as hot as Mercury, too.
Troy was a domed mining colony, though, so it doesn't have to be habitable. Maybe it's tidally locked, and the dome was on the night side.
Old January 26 2011, 12:36 AM   #36
Candlelight
Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
fett51 wrote: View Post
That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.
Troy was a domed mining colony, though, so it doesn't have to be habitable. Maybe it's tidally locked, and the dome was on the night side.
Boomer said she was from Troy, which, despite being a lie, still implies there is a population of sorts there.
Old January 26 2011, 12:50 AM   #37
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

If the Colonials had terraforming technology at any point, odds are at least 1 or 2 out of the 50,000 survivors would have some knowledge of it. It was never even mentioned which tells me it's a capability they do not and did not possess.
I wouldn't be so sure. Never mind The Wrath Of Khan; terraforming would most likely be a huge undertaking, taking decades or even thousands of years. I don't think that it was really the first thing on the minds of many ofthe 50,000 semi-random survivors.
I never once said it was the first thing on their minds. Obviously, escape and immediate survival were more important.

But once they started seriously considering settling down (Kobol, New Caprica, etc.) they never once mentioned terraforming or anything resembling it. New Caprica would've been the ideal time to drop at least a reference to it. From everything presented on screen there was no evidence that the Colonials had any capabilities that could modify a planet's climate or atmospheric composition.
OR, none of the planets they encountered after leaving the Colonies were transformable using the methods they knew. Kobol suffered the same fate as the Colonies and Cylon Earth - probably worse being the origin world - and might have been unrecoverable. New Caprica looked to be in the middle of a mini ice age and the Humans would probably have died off before any serious terraforming took hold. The Algae Planet already had a breathable atmosphere and something else the Colonials needed, so terraforming it would have been counterproductive. Same for our Earth. Combine all this with the fact they were still being chased by the Cylons and having them sit back and talk about terraforming would be a waste of airtime. It's a storyline that would go nowhere and do nothing.

-Tom Clancy
Old January 26 2011, 04:48 AM   #38
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
David cgc wrote: View Post
Boomer said she was from Troy, which, despite being a lie, still implies there is a population of sorts there.
Yes. They live under a dome.
Old January 26 2011, 08:56 AM   #39
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Frontman wrote: View Post
Seeing this planets makes me think again how is it possible that those people came from Kobol and don't remember it although they have distant past seen on artifacts in Adama's office? They spoke of Kobol as "myth" and "old wives tale". Maybe angels deleted their memory? I mean they did make allusion of it in "Malestrom" after Starbuck (an angel) died Adama destroyed that old sailing ship.
Kobol itself wasn't a myth--it turned out to be very real. But the exodus from Kobol was a few thousand years ago. Think about where we were 3000 years ago. Most of history from around that time is pretty mythical to us. Not that we have no evidence of it, but that it's so distant and we have relatively little information so it's not "real" to us.

Kobol could hold much the same status for the Colonials: a real place where they used to live and things happened, but the stories have been distorted and attained mythical proportions over time.
But still they are if not mythical very modest and Adama in his office has stuff that resembles Roman helmets, samurai warriors, old sail ships... And since they did not start from scratch on colonies like they did on Earth 2 those kind of things did originate on Kobol or descriptions of those things, but everything that happened on Kobol was litteraly in form of gospels and sacred texts and were not taken (too) serious anyway and probably didn't contain texts on building sail ships and whole history of Kobol to ancient wars like Rome is to us.
But maybe the colonies themselves already had civilizations with witch Colonists fused together.
Old January 26 2011, 10:54 AM   #40
Harvey
Admiral

Do we know for sure that they didn't start from scratch after the Exodus from Kobol? Did the bits and pieces that were mentioned about that period over the course of the series establish anything for certain?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old January 26 2011, 11:38 AM   #41
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Do we know for sure that they didn't start from scratch after the Exodus from Kobol? Did the bits and pieces that were mentioned about that period over the course of the series establish anything for certain?
Well if they did they came very fast from the scratch to pre roman, roman, medieval ages... colonizing 12 planets, discovering FTL, making robots in what it seems less then 2000 years. I mean that's time well spent.
Old January 26 2011, 06:39 PM   #42
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well if they did they came very fast from the scratch to pre roman, roman, medieval ages... colonizing 12 planets, discovering FTL, making robots in what it seems less then 2000 years. I mean that's time well spent.
I would assume they arrived at the Colonies with at least basic industrial knowledge, but it would've taken some time (centuries?) to build up enough infrastructure to have a "modern" society.
Old January 26 2011, 08:44 PM   #43
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

I would assume they arrived at the Colonies with at least basic industrial knowledge, but it would've taken some time (centuries?) to build up enough infrastructure to have a "modern" society.
The exodus from Kobol must of been pretty large as well. It's taken humanity 10s of 1000s of years to reach a population of 6 billion so either colonials bread like rabbits or they have a large population base to start the colonies with.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old January 26 2011, 09:27 PM   #44
Candlelight
Admiral

Well, I did the geek and tallied the populations of each colony; there's around 29 billion humans.

So the figure in the Resistence webisodes (20 billion) and later in season four (50 billion) don't add up, unless there's 20 billion humans floating around on those smaller moons...
Old January 26 2011, 10:20 PM   #45
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

[Picard] There...are...FOUR STARS! [/Picard]

Aw, c'mon, someone had to...