Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 25 2011, 01:46 PM   #16
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Yeah, fuck it. I guess God did it.
Old January 25 2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Seems odd that Canceron is the most populated planet, when it's barely ever even mentioned in BSG
Old January 25 2011, 03:57 PM   #18
SD70ACe
Lieutenant Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yeah, but this is BSG, so...God did it.
Agreed. This map is missing the hands of God behind the star systems.
Old January 25 2011, 05:11 PM   #19
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Seeing this planets makes me think again how is it possible that those people came from Kobol and don't remember it although they have distant past seen on artifacts in Adama's office? They spoke of Kobol as "myth" and "old wives tale". Maybe angels deleted their memory? I mean they did make allusion of it in "Malestrom" after Starbuck (an angel) died Adama destroyed that old sailing ship.
Old January 25 2011, 05:37 PM   #20
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Frontman wrote: View Post
Seeing this planets makes me think again how is it possible that those people came from Kobol and don't remember it although they have distant past seen on artifacts in Adama's office? They spoke of Kobol as "myth" and "old wives tale". Maybe angels deleted their memory? I mean they did make allusion of it in "Malestrom" after Starbuck (an angel) died Adama destroyed that old sailing ship.
Kobol itself wasn't a myth--it turned out to be very real. But the exodus from Kobol was a few thousand years ago. Think about where we were 3000 years ago. Most of history from around that time is pretty mythical to us. Not that we have no evidence of it, but that it's so distant and we have relatively little information so it's not "real" to us.

Kobol could hold much the same status for the Colonials: a real place where they used to live and things happened, but the stories have been distorted and attained mythical proportions over time.
Old January 25 2011, 06:21 PM   #21
Dark Gilligan
Writer

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
There is no way to place so many habitable worlds so close together and it not look odd.
But many of these planets might not been habitable in their original conditions. Any number of them could have been terraformed (or kobolformed as the case may be).
Old January 25 2011, 06:32 PM   #22
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post
There is no way to place so many habitable worlds so close together and it not look odd.
But many of these planets might not been habitable in their original conditions. Any number of them could have been terraformed (or kobolformed as the case may be).
Then why was the very notion of terraforming never even mentioned in the show? One would think that would be a major factor in finding a new planet to settle on. For instance, if they had terraforming technology, they could've set about making New Caprica less harsh. Even if it was a decades-long process, they intended to stay there forever so why wouldn't they have at least attempted it?
Old January 25 2011, 06:42 PM   #23
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

SD70ACe wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yeah, but this is BSG, so...God did it.
Agreed. This map is missing the hands of God behind the star systems.
Works for me.

-Maleficent
Old January 25 2011, 06:59 PM   #24
HarryM
Fleet Captain

If you look at the Map it says they tried to "Kobolform" Pallas but were unsuccessful.
Old January 25 2011, 07:58 PM   #25
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

While there may have been some experiments in terraforming...I doubt that the Colonies were advanced to carry out such an endevour due to time, money and lack of technology.

The Colonies were no doubt more advanced than we are but they aren't THAT more advanced.

I also don't believe they have continually had FTL drives since leaving Kobol (2,000 years ago?) because if they had they have been sitting at a cultural and technological dead end for a long long time.
Old January 25 2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Then why was the very notion of terraforming never even mentioned in the show? One would think that would be a major factor in finding a new planet to settle on.
Because the only directive Galactica and the fleet had following the Cylon attack was GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE. There was no time to prepare for settling--let alone terraforming--another planet. Imagine the materials, resources, capital, and time that would be required for such an endeavor, none of which the Colonials had post-Exodus. They barely had enough food and water to take along, and were running out of both rather quickly.
Old January 25 2011, 08:22 PM   #27
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Then why was the very notion of terraforming never even mentioned in the show? One would think that would be a major factor in finding a new planet to settle on.
Because the only directive Galactica and the fleet had following the Cylon attack was GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE. There was no time to prepare for settling--let alone terraforming--another planet. Imagine the materials, resources, capital, and time that would be required for such an endeavor, none of which the Colonials had post-Exodus. They barely had enough food and water to take along, and were running out of both rather quickly.
If the Colonials had terraforming technology at any point, odds are at least 1 or 2 out of the 50,000 survivors would have some knowledge of it. It was never even mentioned which tells me it's a capability they do not and did not possess.

The only "out" might be if they had it during the exodus from Kobol, used it to set up the 12 Colonies, then dismantled it and destroyed all records of how to build it. But at the time of the Cylon attack it appears they possessed no such technology.
Old January 25 2011, 08:58 PM   #28
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

pst wrote: View Post
but uh, i have to imagine there were more than 12 battles anyway. so that hybrid was full of it.
Good point. It also means that many of the minor colonies would have to be ignored.
The population of the major colonies seems to be about 30 billion in total. Can anyone remember if Tigh put the total number of casualties at 20 billion or 30 billion in the Resistance webisodes? If the latter, it seems that he may have been kind of right despite Gaeta's later figure of 50 billion.

fett51 wrote: View Post
That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.
Troy looks like it could be as hot as Mercury, too.

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
I am only half joking because the speculation that the system is stable and viable for humans, even in its somewhat weird configuration, is due to God willing it to be so is a completely valid argument in context of the BSG-verse.
True. God/Q/whatever does work. There are probably half-a-dozen workable explanations where there's some klind of relevant precedent in BSG lore.

I think that maybe angels deleted their common sense. The first cylon war seems to have left them with an anti-progress, anti-technology mindset as alluded to in the miniseries. The idea of them just forgetting things because they happened a few thousand years ago isn't really a strong argument; given the technology that they seemingly had back then, the retention of records for prosperity ought to have been no problem. But then again, we have no real idea of the number of refugees. It may only have been akin to the population of the colonial fleet, or fewer.

HarryM wrote: View Post
If you look at the Map it says they tried to "Kobolform" Pallas but were unsuccessful.
Good catch. Maybe Kobol looked like Earth-1 and Earth-2.

If the Colonials had terraforming technology at any point, odds are at least 1 or 2 out of the 50,000 survivors would have some knowledge of it. It was never even mentioned which tells me it's a capability they do not and did not possess.
I wouldn't be so sure. Never mind The Wrath Of Khan; terraforming would most likely be a huge undertaking, taking decades or even thousands of years. I don't think that it was really the first thing on the minds of many ofthe 50,000 semi-random survivors.

Last edited by Wereghost; January 25 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 25 2011, 09:14 PM   #29
Candlefright
Admiral

Kobol itself wasn't a myth--it turned out to be very real. But the exodus from Kobol was a few thousand years ago. Think about where we were 3000 years ago. Most of history from around that time is pretty mythical to us. Not that we have no evidence of it, but that it's so distant and we have relatively little information so it's not "real" to us.
Or that Magician 2000 years ago that the Pope is always going on about.

I prefer to think of the Colonial system as a single star system, with planets and moons. Sort of the like the New Earth system from Firefly. Whish Kevin states in his interview:

Kevin: Indeed, the instant Ron hired me on BSG, I was so excited, I went home, read the series bible and the first two scripts for "33" and "Water", then proceeded to hack out a document on the astronomy of the Twelve Colonies – how might we get twelve habitable planets in one star system (which is stated in Ron's series bible).
This also contradicts largely what BSG Wiki has gleamed from the series...

All complaining aside, I love this stuff. Don't see how Aquaria can be considered a colony when it's really only a research outpost with a population that 'swells' to half a million occasionally.

Last edited by Candlefright; January 25 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old January 25 2011, 09:35 PM   #30
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Never mind The Wrath Of Khan; terraforming would most likely be a huge undertaking, taking decades or even thousands of years. I don't think that it was really the first thing on the minds of many ofthe 50,000 semi-random survivors.
I never once said it was the first thing on their minds. Obviously, escape and immediate survival were more important.

But once they started seriously considering settling down (Kobol, New Caprica, etc.) they never once mentioned terraforming or anything resembling it. New Caprica would've been the ideal time to drop at least a reference to it. From everything presented on screen there was no evidence that the Colonials had any capabilities that could modify a planet's climate or atmospheric composition.