RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Posts: 5,430,687
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 477
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old January 24 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
There's a new map of the BSG star system...

...and a high-res image on IO9. It looks kind of cool and interesting, though purists will note that there are now four stars in the system and not three as stated by the hybrid in The Plan.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 01:49 AM   #2
David cgc
Vice Admiral
 
David cgc's Avatar
 
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Well, "twelve battles, three stars" can mean a lot of things.
__________________
“I come here to have fun and fuck around merrily. I expect to showered by all kind of random crap.”
iguana_tonante
David cgc is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

^Like what? I know what it sounds like it's supposed to mean...

It is sort of odd, though, that Espinson would get it wrong if they were working the quadrupedal star system thing out during BSG's run. So maybe it as supposed to mean something else.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 02:07 AM   #4
pst
Lieutenant Commander
 
pst's Avatar
 
Location: los angeles.
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

yeah good catch there with the three stars.

but uh, i have to imagine there were more than 12 battles anyway. so that hybrid was full of it.
pst is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 02:56 AM   #5
SD70ACe
Lieutenant Commander
 
SD70ACe's Avatar
 
Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Or they hadn't figured out four stars by the time The Plan was in production.
SD70ACe is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Four stars? Really?
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now  
Old January 25 2011, 03:45 AM   #7
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Well, technically two binary star systems that are rather close together. The article does say they based it on a real double-binary system.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Marc
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: An Aussie in Canukistan
Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Four stars? Really?
The Colonial's system must of been really good.

Either that or it had been tortured by Cardassians.
__________________
Gentlemen you can't fight in here - this is the war room.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now  
Old January 25 2011, 04:31 AM   #9
fett51
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Four stars? Really?
Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.

Last edited by fett51; January 25 2011 at 04:46 AM.
fett51 is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

fett51 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Four stars? Really?
Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.
There's no reason you can't have a lot of stars grouped together in one system, it just strains credibility that you could have planets in stable orbits--much less have them be habitable--in such a system.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.

Last edited by Robert Maxwell; January 25 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
Robert Maxwell is online now  
Old January 25 2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
fett51 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Four stars? Really?
Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.
There's no reason you can't have a lot of stairs grouped together in one system, it just strains credibility that you could have planets in stable orbits--much less have them be habitable--in such a system.
Yeah, but this is BSG, so...God did it.
Skywalker is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 06:44 AM   #12
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

^But, as BSG has taught us, sometimes the miraculous happens and we get a bizarre set of coincidences that seem almost divine. God has a plan for everything and He made the system, as is, so that it was a suitable place for humanity to settle on post-Kobol.

I am only half joking because the speculation that the system is stable and viable for humans, even in its somewhat weird configuration, is due to God willing it to be so is a completely valid argument in context of the BSG-verse.

*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it.
6079SmithW is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 07:19 AM   #13
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Poppycock
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Well remember, they are using old BSG as a basis for this...

There is no way to place so many habitable worlds so close together and it not look odd.
vampgrrl is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
^But, as BSG has taught us, sometimes the miraculous happens and we get a bizarre set of coincidences that seem almost divine. God has a plan for everything and He made the system, as is, so that it was a suitable place for humanity to settle on post-Kobol.

I am only half joking because the speculation that the system is stable and viable for humans, even in its somewhat weird configuration, is due to God willing it to be so is a completely valid argument in context of the BSG-verse.

*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it.
You know it doesn't like that name.
Silvercrest is offline  
Old January 25 2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it.
Sorry, dude! Didn't mean to make you type all that for nothing.
Skywalker is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
blood & chrome, bsg, caprica, planets, twelve colonies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.