Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 21 2011, 05:54 AM   #1
starsuperion
Captain

classic Who should be in colour..

I know most do not agree, but I can't help but think that it would just make the older series come to life in a new way..

don't get me wrong..

I love the old school classic black and white..

but there is something to be said for the coloured images found on this site:
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season1.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season2.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season3.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season4.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season5.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season6.html

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mSb...eature=related

Last edited by starsuperion; January 21 2011 at 06:20 AM.
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
VDCNI
Captain

Re: classic Who should be in colour..

I've always thought no and those hideous photo's just reinforce my opinion.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

VDCNI wrote: View Post
agreed.
Old January 21 2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Starkers
Admiral

Wow in some of those pics the skin tone is so sallow that Steven looks like a zombie!

Anyway not going to get embroiled in this debate again. It was made in B&W, leave it in B&W, that is all

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Hmm. This is now the third thread we've had on this same subject recently and my response hasn't changed. Nope. No colour.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
agreed.
Thirded.
Old January 21 2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't want the original B&W erased from existence, but, I see no problem with having a color option

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 03:16 PM   #8
starsuperion
Captain

2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?
Old January 21 2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

If we're talking about how we'd like to see the classic series given a new prominence, I'd much rather see the missing episodes animated, a la The Invasion.

Color isn't going to do much to make the older shows more accessible. Even if they somehow could remaster them in 3-D, it's still not the kind of story-telling that's going to grab a lot of new viewers.

And that Menoptera convinces me--these are stories where the visuals aren't exactly the most compelling aspect, if you know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 03:59 PM   #10
starsuperion
Captain

shatnertage wrote: View Post
If we're talking about how we'd like to see the classic series given a new prominence, I'd much rather see the missing episodes animated, a la The Invasion.

Color isn't going to do much to make the older shows more accessible. Even if they somehow could remaster them in 3-D, it's still not the kind of story-telling that's going to grab a lot of new viewers.

And that Menoptera convinces me--these are stories where the visuals aren't exactly the most compelling aspect, if you know what I mean.
that is true, but then again I see by your avatar you like the animated trek..which then I can assume you like the classic trek as well...and well, some of the classic trek's visuals were lets say... interesting..

they were in colour.. and I still like them..

I also prefer the classic lost in space in colour as apposed to it's original black and white format.. so maybe hokey and campy looks more realistic in black and white, but honestly for me, the colourised versions just stand out more and endear themselves to me more..

in all honesty I would rather the original missing epissodes found their way back to the BBC as apposed to animation placed in to supplant the missing.. however with no sight of the missing episodes surfacing as of yet, I would also second your wanting them to release those animated ones..

however, I wouldn't mind a (star wars the clone wars cartoon style) retelling of the lost episodes in that animated style, but set to the original sound track of the lost serials..

honestly if we are going to retcon the classic Who, might as well do it right in 3D CGI
http://harry-palmer.cghub.com/files/...767_stream.jpg
Old January 21 2011, 04:25 PM   #11
VDCNI
Captain

starsuperion wrote: View Post
2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?
Yes I would turn them down - what possible reason would I have to buy them in colour when I already have them in B&W!?

Colourising would make no difference to the scripts, direction or performances so what does it actually give us.

Surely the only reason to have them in colour is to get extra sales among people who won't watch B&W and lets face it if they can't cope with B&W the pacing and style of the 60's episodes will be just as problematic!

I would like to see the rest of the missing episodes animated as we don't have the originals. CGI effects are fine as a DVD extra but otherwise no thanks.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Colourising would make no difference to the scripts, direction or performances so what does it actually give us.

Surely the only reason to have them in colour is to get extra sales among people who won't watch B&W and lets face it if they can't cope with B&W the pacing and style of the 60's episodes will be just as problematic!
This is what I was trying to say.

And as far as TOS goes, I'll be the first one to acknowledge its weaknesses. I definitely don't watch it for the special effects. At this point, it's more of a nostalgia thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

starsuperion wrote: View Post

Actually, I'm quite certain that you even started one of them.

And if the Beeb colourised some classic episodes, while I would watch them out of curiosity I wouldn't buy them. The black and white on my DVD shelf are plenty fine.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 10:21 AM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Well, I enjoy seeing colourised images, and last time we had this debate I was of the opinion that I thought it would be okay to colourise episodes. Everyone disagreed with me and I thought about their opinions and they seemed to be valid to me. I still like seeing colourised images when they are done well.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 11:38 AM   #15
N-121973
Commander

This reminds me of all those threads they used to have over in the ST:TOS forum about having CGI effects for TOS, and look what happened there.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote