Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 19 2011, 06:29 AM   #151
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
- Along those ambitious lines Head-Crichton is an ingenious method for delving into Scorpy's personal history. It's one horrific history, too. The willingness of the PKs to take in Scorpy, considering what we know about PK feelings towards interspecies coupling (D'Argo, LoLaan, and Jothee, for example), also paints that organization in a different light than we normally see.

- Moya & Pilot don't disregard the crew's wishes often, and rarely in matters not related to Talyn, but I do appreciate those moments where the pair does, reminding the audience that Moya is a living creature with her own mind and opinions.

- Good episode. It was very interesting to see Scorpy's backstory played out. Considering how much of it was spent on Scorpy's ship, as opposed to Moya, I assume that means Scorpy will probably be used sparingly now until "big" episodes hit.

Yeah, 'Incubator' is a good ep. Does a really good job of giving Scorpius a sympathetic backstory while taking away nothing from his sheer badassery.

As for 'big' episodes, yes, and no... that's the beauty of having Harvey as a character... gives us a lot of Scorpy goodness without causing him to decay as a character... but no worries, you'll get plenty of the real deal before the end of the season... :-D

I might recommend that you watch 'Scratch and Sniff' separately from the following 2-parter. They differ a lot in tone, and Scratch n Sniff is a pretty damn funny episode, IMO and deserves to be enjoyed...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 07:37 AM   #152
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I swear I must be the only person who actually enjoys "Meltdown."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 11:03 AM   #153
RoJoHen
Awesome

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
if for no other reason that the completely bizarre bit with Stark in Talyn's Pilot set, which Talyn isn't supposed to have to begin with...

*grumble*
Back in Season 1 Crais says that Talyn can support a Pilot, but he simply doesn't need one to operate, so Talyn having an unused Pilot chamber is perfectly fine.

I actually enjoy "Meltdown." I've never understood the hate it receives.
Old January 19 2011, 02:57 PM   #154
label
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I don't hate it.........can't say as I actually enjoy much of it, but I certainly don't hate it. Really only "hate" one episode....Taking the Stone. I always skip that one on rewatches.
Old January 19 2011, 04:26 PM   #155
RoJoHen
Awesome

I dozed off in the middle of "The Hidden Memory" last night. I was exhausted from not really sleeping the night before. One minute they were running around the Gammak Base, the next minute I was staring at the DVD menu screen. Lame.
Old January 19 2011, 05:39 PM   #156
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
if for no other reason that the completely bizarre bit with Stark in Talyn's Pilot set, which Talyn isn't supposed to have to begin with...

*grumble*
Back in Season 1 Crais says that Talyn can support a Pilot, but he simply doesn't need one to operate, so Talyn having an unused Pilot chamber is perfectly fine.

Even so, Stark isn't one of the Pilot species, and you would think such an intimate bonding would be a bit more... permanent than what we saw (Pilot can't even separate from Moya without dying). It does give one reason to wonder the differences, advantages and disadvantages of this as opposed to the Hand of Friendship.
Old January 20 2011, 07:08 PM   #157
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Thought I'd pop in this thread, as I too am watching Farscape for the very first time right now. I'm mostly watching it while at work (it's a front desk job, and there's often f**k all to do, especially during the night shifts, so I can usually get several episodes done before I go home). After listening to people on this board rave about the show for years, my interest was piqued. I found the complete series DVD set on sale a few weeks ago, and decided to see what I was missing.

Last weekend, I blew through Season 1, and now I'm on Season 2 -- just finished "My Three Crichtons". Up next, the "Look at the Princess" trilogy.

So far, I would say I like it... but I don't love it. Given all the hype, I was kind of expecting to be blown away, but a lot of the episodes so far have felt like standalone filler. Which isn't necessarily bad --it's still quite entertaining-- but I'm hoping for more.

Fortunately, I'm a patient man, and I'm getting the sense that the series is about to kick it into high gear very soon. I've seen some hints of greatness in some of the episodes; I was impressed with a number of them near the end of Season 1 (the "Nerve"/"The Hidden Memory" two-parter pretty much had me hooked), and "The Way We Weren't" in this season showed me what this show is capable of. If I get more stuff like this, I'll be a happy camper indeed.

Another thing I've liked is how all the characters are very flawed, quirky, and interesting. Crichton's got the "everyman hero" routine down pat, and while his headstrong nature can be irksome at times, it does help keep things lively (and I can just imagine how frustrated the other characters are by his constant pop-culture references that never make any sense to them ). The evolution of characters like Aeryn and D'argo has worked well so far. Zhaan is always interesting to watch -- and for a bald, blue, walking plant, she's actually rather alluring (speaking of which, why doesn't she have hair? The other female Delvians we've seen did). Rygel is always amusing, although I've occasionally wondered why they just don't toss him off the ship (he really seems to be more trouble than he's worth at times). Chiana -- she's a slippery one. I like her. Sometimes she seems to genuinely want to help out and be a part of the crew, and other times it appears she's just looking out for number one. You're never quite sure what's going on in that head of hers.

So yeah, I'll probably get through a few more episodes tonight; I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, as you were.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 07:18 PM   #158
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Nerve/The Hidden Memory" in Season 1 is where the big arc is introduced, but it also takes a break in the beginning of Season 2. I'd say the "Look at the Princess" trilogy is where it starts to pick up again, and then most of the show tends to center around it. You start getting more and more arc-related episodes and fewer standalones.
Old January 20 2011, 07:19 PM   #159
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Daneel

^ Glad you like it. It's not my absolute favorite sci-fi series either but it's in the top 5 for sure. You still have a lot of great episodes to get through. Season 3 is probably the best season.
Old January 20 2011, 07:26 PM   #160
T J
Commodore

Just finished the series for the 1st time. Since I'm still digesting I'll simply say... interesting. A little hard to get into... it picked up. All in all it was pretty good. My starving Sci-fi soul needed something, anything sci-fi. I'm now full.
Old January 20 2011, 07:36 PM   #161
Daneel
Rear Admiral

"Nerve/The Hidden Memory" in Season 1 is where the big arc is introduced, but it also takes a break in the beginning of Season 2. I'd say the "Look at the Princess" trilogy is where it starts to pick up again, and then most of the show tends to center around it. You start getting more and more arc-related episodes and fewer standalones.
LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
Re: Daneel

^ Glad you like it. It's not my absolute favorite sci-fi series either but it's in the top 5 for sure. You still have a lot of great episodes to get through. Season 3 is probably the best season.
Ah, excellent news. Now I'm looking forward to continuing my Farscape journey even more.

T J wrote: View Post
Just finished the series for the 1st time. Since I'm still digesting I'll simply say... interesting. A little hard to get into... it picked up. All in all it was pretty good. My starving Sci-fi soul needed something, anything sci-fi. I'm now full.
Yeah, that was pretty much where I was coming from. I was hungry for a new sci-fi series, and it basically came down to either this or NuBSG. This seemed more up my alley, although I may yet give BSG a shot some day.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 08:33 AM   #162
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Well, good news, Daneel, I have high expectations that you won't be disappointed. Definitely a good series, and you're about to enter the best part of it... :-)

Like others, this definitely hits my top 5 favorite series of all time. I liked nuBSG for a while, but the series kind of wore me out chasing its own tail after a while and I never even caught the last half of the 4th season after the big cliffhanger.... to this day, I still don't even know (or really care, much) how it ended...
Old January 21 2011, 11:02 AM   #163
Aeon
Commander

Watching ...Different Destination right now and I noticed that there is the name Andy engraved in Harvey's boots. Funny to think that the neural clone of Scorpius likes something as fluffy as Toy Story.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 08:30 PM   #164
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm around the same place as Daneel.

I just watched the Something Dog episode after the Princess trilogy. I really like this show and the fact they go to different worlds that feel different, unlike Stargate. I like the fact there is an overall arc to the show, but the show isn't weighed down by it.

My favorite is the fact that a stand alone episode si sometimes brought into more depth like the one where John made it home to a made up Earth. The alien was just trying to see if Earth was paradise. In turn we find out that he sticks in some help with wormhole technology to help John make it home, which leads to the bad guy of the show wanting John.

There are few black / white moments on the show, you think the creator is "bad" but it's just living it's life, it needs to eat, and you feel bad for them. The "heroes" are all flawed but deep deep down mainly care for each other, even if it's after they care for themselves.

I'm enjoying the show a lot and sad that I'm almost to the halfway point.
Old January 22 2011, 01:55 AM   #165
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I'm gratified that my little thread has been useful for others to discuss their first times watching the show, too. Keep it coming, folks! It also helps keep the thread alive when I have days in between episodes.
QUOTE=RoJoHen;4670893]I actually enjoy "Meltdown." I've never understood the hate it receives.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say I hate it, per se. Saying that it "sucked" might have been rather harsh, in hindsight. I didn't like it, but it's still not necessarily an episode I'd skip when doing a rewatch. It did use Stark to a greater degree than most episodes seem to, which is a plus.
Daneel wrote: View Post
Fortunately, I'm a patient man, and I'm getting the sense that the series is about to kick it into high gear very soon.
Your patience will be rewarded.
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I'm enjoying the show a lot and sad that I'm almost to the halfway point.
Tell me about it! I'm halfway through season three. I don't want to think about this experience ending, but I don't really have that much left to watch.

Scratch 'n Sniff
- My first real amused moment with this episode came when I was only about a minute into it, with the quick flashback to John and D'Argo grumbling about which one of them pissed off Pilot. They really do act like brothers.

- I can't really formulate any thoughts on specific aspects of this episode. As a whole piece, it's probably the most hilarious and outright insane episode of anything I have ever seen - and I loved it. I don't have a single quibble with anything.

Infinite Possibilities Part I: Daedalus Demands
- It's cool to see the show returning to what seemed like a one-off story back in season one with Furlow's return. I know I was told not to forget about that episode, but actually reaching this point is different from knowing that I needed to keep it in mind. I also think it's neat to have "Jack" the Ancient playing a larger, obvious role in an episode.

- Aeryn, Crichton, and Crais are becoming a pretty good team in ground assaults.

- Rygel hasn't seemed to have a lot to do so far in this season, so I find the fleshing-out of Hynerian history regarding the Charrids interesting. We haven't seen him in a vengeful mood since Durka and I don't know that I blame him for "interrogating" the prisoner, based on that history. Watching him operate the cannon was pretty fun too.

- I commented during a previous episode that I didn't think there was a more dysfunctional duo than Rygel & Stark. Watching Stark trying to aid Crais with Talyn makes me reconsider a bit. "Oh, great. The half-blind leading the blind," indeed, Rygel.

- Holy crap. Harvey in full control of John's body? Talk about scary to have two Scorpys in the physical realm... Also, Browder does a good job with his own version of Scorpy's speaking style.

- Good episode. Nicely tense with the ticking clock of the approaching Scarren dreadnought and the need to destroy the module copy to keep the Scarrens and Charrids from gaining wormhole technology. Some good old-fashioned "shooting shit up" with the assault on the compound and the subsequent defense, especially giving Rygel an opportunity for active involvement operating the cannon.

Infinite Possibilities Part Two: Icarus Abides
- I said "scary" before, but now have to add "creepy" due to this episode's teaser and Harvey's comment about "sharing" Crichton's body with Aeryn. As entertaining as Harvey has been, I'm still damn glad (this?) Crichton's hitchhiker is gone and that Harvey wasn't able to hold onto his body (though that could have been an interesting storyline...).

- Rygel requesting food in order to keep his energy up and push through the pain of his shrapnel wound is impressive bravery from an individual who so rarely shows courage. It's always nice to see Rygel rising above his base instincts for flight. I hope that at some point he realizes that's capable of more than running, just as we the audience are given opportunities to see.

- I'm not at all surprised that Furlow turned on Crichton and company, that she had been playing them the entire time. She's too much of a slimy businesswoman to not pursue a deal with the Scarrens.

- Aeryn agreed to go back to Earth with John! Even though they don't end up living there, I'm glad she had decided to do so. Particularly bittersweet contrasted with this Crichton sacrificing himself to save the others. I'm now expecting that, post-crew reintegration, Aeryn and the other John will be estranged for a time.

- The writers were pretty devious here, allowing one Crichton to interact with "Jack" and have his hidden wormhole knowledge unlocked so that he could use it as a weapon, yet then have that Crichton die so that one-Crichton moving forward still has to work for the knowledge.

- Crichton's goodbye scene was very sad, of course, but just as poignant, I thought, was Stark saying "I have no prayer for this" as the Scarren dreadnought was destroyed by the displacement weapon.

- Over these last two episodes, the show is really screwing with Aeryn. Both episodes have closed with her crying over Crichton's body.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote