Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 19 2011, 02:15 AM   #196
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Came across this. Just too awesome not to share:

Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 03:47 AM   #197
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

That is completely insane. I am not nearly dedicated enough to Minecraft to attempt something like that.
Old January 19 2011, 06:09 AM   #198
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
^ I gotcha, then. I assumed you were just talking about straight-up mining, in which case hollowing the whole thing out would be terribly time consuming.

FWIW, I usually mine in a pattern with central 2X2 corridors, with 1X2 tunnels branching off, leaving two blocks in between each tunnel. That way you can see all the minerals without having to mine out every last damn block.
I'm told the most mathematically efficient way is to do what you described but leave three blocks between each branch tunnel. Since most veins are 2x2 you'll never miss any by leaving 3 blocks in between.
I suppose, but I think the completist in me would get annoyed at the hidden row.
Old January 19 2011, 09:55 AM   #199
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

That is completely insane. I am not nearly dedicated enough to Minecraft to attempt something like that.
Completely insane and awesome! That dude must be some kind of musical circuit design genius to come up with that.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2011, 02:52 PM   #200
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

^ I gotcha, then. I assumed you were just talking about straight-up mining, in which case hollowing the whole thing out would be terribly time consuming.

FWIW, I usually mine in a pattern with central 2X2 corridors, with 1X2 tunnels branching off, leaving two blocks in between each tunnel. That way you can see all the minerals without having to mine out every last damn block.
I'm told the most mathematically efficient way is to do what you described but leave three blocks between each branch tunnel. Since most veins are 2x2 you'll never miss any by leaving 3 blocks in between.
I suppose, but I think the completist in me would get annoyed at the hidden row.
Ah, but there is no "hidden row." Think about it.

If most veins are 2x2, then having two parallel horizontal shafts with 3 blocks in between is guaranteed to expose the vein in at least one of the shafts.

Granted, there are some veins that consist of only one or two blocks, but I've found those to be relatively rare and probably aren't worth making all your branch shafts one block closer together.

Anyway, on the new world I started, I've done a fair amount of work. Here is the large vertical mineshaft I dug all the way into the bedrock from my spawn base. (The view is from the bottom, looking up.) Here is a castle I built last night. Yes, it extends into the clouds...

Images are linked since they're big.

I plan to fancy up the castle, putting windows and so forth in it. It's 6 stories although I probably won't use the top level for anything, given that clouds pass through it.
Old January 19 2011, 07:30 PM   #201
Canadave
Vice Admiral

If most veins are 2x2, then having two parallel horizontal shafts with 3 blocks in between is guaranteed to expose the vein in at least one of the shafts.
Oh yeah, I realize this, but it would still come off visually as one row being hidden. That would bother me.

And that's an impressive looking mineshaft, btw. I tend to dig down on a 45 degree angle, myself. Makes it a bit more work to get back to the surface, but I find it makes the digging process more flexible—I can avoid caves and lava pools if I want\need to.
Old January 19 2011, 07:51 PM   #202
Robert Maxwell
beep

Oh yeah, I realize this, but it would still come off visually as one row being hidden. That would bother me.

And that's an impressive looking mineshaft, btw. I tend to dig down on a 45 degree angle, myself. Makes it a bit more work to get back to the surface, but I find it makes the digging process more flexible—I can avoid caves and lava pools if I want\need to.
That actually used to be my strategy. On my last world, I zigzagged up and down, diagonally, across the landscape. What I found is that you go through shovels/pickaxes pretty quickly that way and the payoff isn't so great. The branching mineshaft strategy is much more productive as far as I have seen.

Digging the big shaft straight down was just for fun, really. That stone walkway at the very top leads from my base lobby (just a small workshop area in a shack) to an underground tree farm, connected to which is another workshop, a storage room, and then a corridor that leads to a ladder, which goes all the way up into that castle/tower in my other picture. I like to have everything connected.
Old January 19 2011, 09:15 PM   #203
Canadave
Vice Admiral

That actually used to be my strategy. On my last world, I zigzagged up and down, diagonally, across the landscape. What I found is that you go through shovels/pickaxes pretty quickly that way and the payoff isn't so great. The branching mineshaft strategy is much more productive as far as I have seen.
Oh, I still use the branching tunnel approach, but to actually go down to the bedrock, say, I zig-zag.
Old January 19 2011, 09:19 PM   #204
Robert Maxwell
beep

Oh, I still use the branching tunnel approach, but to actually go down to the bedrock, say, I zig-zag.
I find it's quicker just to dig straight down. If you consider that you'll pick up all the dirt and cobblestone you mine on the way down, to get back up when you're done you'd just hop-stack blocks all the way to the surface.

Or, if you want to leave the shaft open, be sure to pack a stack of ladders.
Old January 20 2011, 03:44 AM   #205
Kimi3013
Captain

Or be a man and make a boat elevator and drop hole. Far quicker method of vertical transportation.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 02:53 PM   #206
Robert Maxwell
beep

I got bored enough to make a video tour of my current world. Pardon the video quality, my computer sucks.

I'll probably do more as I build/improve more stuff.
Old January 20 2011, 08:54 PM   #207
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Awesome. That's quite impressive. How did you get those fancy chests? And the fancy door with the glass in the middle?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 08:56 PM   #208
Robert Maxwell
beep

I use the Painterly Pack textures. They're pretty.
Old February 8 2011, 05:08 PM   #209
Robert Maxwell
beep

Dead thread is ... not dead anymore! Thanks to me!

What projects are you guys doing in Minecraft lately?

I abandoned my bedrock mine (for now) and wandered off to dig out a 50x50 area from the sea level down to the bedrock. Basically, a big-ass quarry. There are bodies of water at two corners, which I'm expanding into a moat around it. The 50x50 is going to be the footprint for a castle. (My last one would've been 100x100, but that was too big, even for me.) At the bottom I am thinking of building a fancy glass pool, and since I'll have the whole thing dug out I can do many levels of crazy shit. Not sure what else I'll do yet, though I'm sure I want some mob grinders in the mix. I collected a few stacks of cacti (yes, stacks!) so I can start farming them.

I'll post pictures at some point, but right now it's just a hole in the ground, so who cares?

What are you guys doing? Anything?
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 06:07 PM   #210
Canadave
Vice Admiral

It's been a while since I've played, actually. Last time I booted it up, I was wandering around in my exploration world—where I basically just walk in the same direction during the day to see what I can find, hole up and do some mining and crafting at night, then continue walking the next day. So no spectacular projects for me, but you can stumble across some interesting features.