Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 16 2011, 09:08 AM   #151
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Re: Power Rangers

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Isn't Samurai the first Power Rangers season since Wild Force to have 5 starting rangers instead of 3?
Depends on what you mean by starting rangers. Five seasons since Wild Force had their 5-person team assembled within the first few episodes, but not necessarily all at once. See SPD, Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive and RPM.

Last edited by Chris3123; January 16 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 06:52 PM   #152
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Also for Power Ranger's Samurai

Power Rangers: Samurai blue ranger profile promo

Different cockpit from Shinkenger and using the Mega suits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFGYrJ5KZGc

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 08:21 PM   #153
Christopher
Writer

^Villains beware the power of giant shoulderpads!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2011, 09:58 PM   #154
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Isn't Samurai the first Power Rangers season since Wild Force to have 5 starting rangers instead of 3?
I'm assuming you were asking whether or not PRS is going to be the first season since Wild Force where we're introduced to all 5 Rangers at the same time and witness them become Rangers at the same time (as was the case in the original MMPR and subsequent series). The answer to that question is a resounding 'No, PRS is not the first season since WF where we've seen all 5 'core' Rangers introduced at the same time'. S.P.D., Mystic Force, and Overdrive all introduced their 'core' Rangers as a group in their respective premiere episode(s); the only seasons which have broken that particular formula - and which featured teams of 5 Rangers or more - are Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, Jungle Fury, and RPM, all of which began with 'core' teams of 3 Rangers each, and slowly added the other Rangers over the course of the season.
Old January 17 2011, 01:15 AM   #155
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
the only seasons which have broken that particular formula - and which featured teams of 5 Rangers or more - are Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, Jungle Fury, and RPM, all of which began with 'core' teams of 3 Rangers each, and slowly added the other Rangers over the course of the season.
I wouldn't count RPM in that. Sure, there were only three active Rangers in the first episode, but the characters who would become the fourth and fifth Rangers were there from the premiere onward and became Rangers in episodes 3 and 4. And it was established from the start that it was intended to be a 5-member team; they just hadn't finished filling it out yet.

So RPM was definitely the type of season where the core team is 5 members and is then added to later on (when the Gold and Silver Rangers show up around episode 15). The other three had 3-member core teams that were added to gradually:

In Ninja Storm, the Wind Ranger core team was 3 members. The Thunder Ranger twosome were originally introduced as rivals and the teams didn't combine until episode 12 or 13. And a non-Ranger regular, the team's tech guy, became the sixth Ranger several episodes after that.

In Dino Thunder, you had a 3-member core team with Tommy (from MMPR/Zeo/Turbo) as their mentor for the first 4 episodes, then Tommy became a Ranger again in episode 5. Then the White Ranger showed up in episode 11 as an antagonist, and it wasn't until episode 21 that he reformed and brought the team complement to five.

In Jungle Fury, you had a 3-member core team for 15 episodes, the longest stretch of time that the team has remained that small. Their mentor RJ became the fourth Ranger in episode 16, and the fifth Ranger didn't show up until episode 19.

Old January 17 2011, 03:34 AM   #156
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ In order for RPM to fit what I've decided to call the '5 Ranger Formula', Ziggy and Dillon would have had to have received their powers by the end of the season premiere (The Road to Corinth), as MMPR-Wild Force and SPD-Operation Overdrive. Because that doesn't happen (as you said, Dillon doesn't become a Ranger until the third episode of the season, and Ziggy doesn't become a Ranger until the fourth episode of the season), RPM very much fits what I've decided to call the '3 Ranger Formula' (whereby we are initially introduced to a team of 3 Rangers who all receive their powers by the end of the season premiere and are joined in subsequent episodes by additional Rangers).
Old January 17 2011, 04:13 AM   #157
Christopher
Writer

^I don't agree. Whether the were in costume or not, all five core Ranger actors were members of RPM's regular cast from the very first episode. In the other three examples, only four of the current or future Rangers were present as regular cast members from the beginning of the series, with additional Rangers only joining the cast later. In RPM, there were five team members from the very beginning; it's just that the more serialized nature of the show meant that the arc of the team's formation took a bit longer than usual.

And as I said, in RPM Doctor K has five Ranger suits ready to go from the beginning and just needs to fill them all. In the other cases, the subsequent Rangers have at least somewhat separate origins from the initial three. Even if they ultimately get their powers from the same source, in no other case are we shown that five slots are ready to be filled from the beginning. So while RPM doesn't exactly fit the usual 5-Ranger formula, it's closer to that than to the usual 3-Ranger formula. (And heck, RPM doesn't exactly fit any standard Power Rangers formula.)

Old January 21 2011, 06:34 PM   #158
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Be on the lookout!

Also this is from the Goseiger VS Shinkenger movie. The Gokaiger's make a cameo before their series debuts

The Gokaiger's have changed into past reds

Go-On Red in back- GokaiRed obviously, who will let others do a lot of the work for him.

From left to right

BoukenRed is Gokai Green.
Deka Red is Gokai Blue.

GekiRed is Gokai Yellow.
Magi Red is Gokai Pink.

Skirts are appropriately added to the suits the girls transform into

Last edited by Samurai8472; January 21 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old January 21 2011, 11:32 PM   #159
Christopher
Writer

"Wanted Dead or Alive"? So these guys actually are criminals? I still can't wrap my head around the idea of Sentai/Rangers being pirates or outlaws.

Although that first picture looks more like Sgt. Pepper cosplay.

Old January 21 2011, 11:39 PM   #160
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Depends on the producers. Some will stick to formula, some other will be bold. The latter is usually a minority.
Old January 22 2011, 12:24 AM   #161
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Here's a new and longer trailer.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 04:12 AM   #162
Christopher
Writer

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Depends on the producers. Some will stick to formula, some other will be bold. The latter is usually a minority.
I'm not talking about innovation vs. formula. It's just that Power Rangers embodies a rather pure philosophy of good vs. evil with the Rangers as the archetypes of good. There's this youthful part of me that just has a visceral negative reaction to the idea of Power Rangers (or their Sentai equivalents) being criminals.

Old January 22 2011, 04:41 AM   #163
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Something about the pirate ranger uniforms seems... unusually silly to me. Maybe because they decided to emulate 18th century sailing uniforms?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2011, 06:25 AM   #164
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Gokaiger villain info

The Zangyaku.

dukemon22 wrote: View Post
Green Lady- Insaan

Big Red Dude- Damaras

Cyborg-guy with sword- Barizorg

Leader- Waruzu - Giru

My meager translation of the blurb:

The evil empire who almost ruled the universe. With the 34 Super Sentai gone, they have set their aims on Earth.

That rumored story is looking more and more legit by the minute.
Old January 26 2011, 12:16 AM   #165
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

GokaiPink and GokaiGreen + All Forms

GoukaiRed, and his fleet of heroes.

GoukaiYellow and GoukaiBlue

GoukaiPink and GoukaiGreen

Gokaiblue and GokaiYellow + All Forms

GokaiRed + All Forms

The villains- The Zangyaku

Episode one's story translated

In order to find the legendary "The Greatest Treasure in the whole universe" Captain Marvelous travels through the universe together with his crew.
One day Captain Marvelous encounters the Space Country, Zangyaku's armada. Even though they are at a disadvantage, Captain Marvelous decides to attack them. Eventually Captain Marvelous and his crew arrives at earth trying to get a meal, but Zangyaku shows up and attacks them.
There they start fighting like pirates should fight. Thus making enemies with the Space Country, Zangyaku.

Team photos. What's interesting is that the some of the suits have added skirts because the Gokaiger girls will use those forms

Tiger ranger was originally male in Zyuranger

In MMPR it was a girl.

So now Gokaiger has added a proper skirt.

Lightspeed Rescue- Female in Power Rangers

GoYellow- Male in Sentai

There are at least a handful of modified suits.