Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Rough Beasts Of Empire
Outstanding 36 25.53%
Above Average 58 41.13%
Average 25 17.73%
Below Average 13 9.22%
Poor 9 6.38%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11 2011, 11:23 PM   #166
flemm
Fleet Captain

Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

David R. George III wrote: View Post
To the extent that some of my work has been popular, I have a suspicion (and I very well could be wrong about this) that readers have liked it not because I have strived to pen good science fiction, or even good Star Trek, but good drama.
I think that is accurate where RBoE is concerned (it doesn't read like a sci-fi novel, but more like a drama that happens to be set in the ST universe).
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 12:09 AM   #167
LightningStorm
The Borg King

Unfortunately a lot of people have never seen Babylon 5, which is a shame, because it is an amazing show.
Old January 12 2011, 12:34 AM   #168
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ No, it's a terrible terrible awful show. It just happens to tell an amazing story.

It's really hard to argue that any other individual component of the show is above barely serviceable.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 07:33 AM   #169
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ I wouldn't call B5 "terrible terrible awful", but I do think that it was a little over-rated. Three seasons of excellent story-telling (2-4), one season of so-so (1), and one that I wish I could scrub out of my brain (5). But even the storytelling couldn't cover up the cheesy dialogue and bad acting.

I had a friend that used to tell me that DS9 ripped-off B5, but when I finally saw B5 on DVD, I found the similarities to DS9 to be superficial at best. The bits that JMS ripped-off from (or payed homage to) LOTR however were, to my mind, far more blatent and, even at times, distracting.
Old January 12 2011, 10:18 PM   #170
flemm
Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The bits that JMS ripped-off from (or payed homage to) LOTR however were, to my mind, far more blatent and, even at times, distracting.
As a big fan of the LotR from before I watched B5, I have to agree. There are so many similarities and borrowed ideas that it is distracting and even a bit irritating at times.

It is interesting to note that the shape of Tzenkethi vessels was established in a prior novel. It is possible that this aspect was Vorlon-inspired originally, though "tear-drop shaped" is not an especially outlandish shape to choose for a space-faring vessel.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 04:25 AM   #171
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Just finished this and I think that all in all it was pretty good. I've enjoyed the entries thus far, and although I found it interesting that the Romulan Empire was sewn back together in this book, I have to wonder how Donatra managed to crack/break the padd. I'm glad Tal'Aura's gone though. I'm looking forward to see what Sela does as Chairwoman of the Tal Shiar.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 04:47 AM   #172
shanejayell
Captain

I read it as someone ELSE broke the pad & killed Donatra. Could be wrong tho....
Old January 13 2011, 08:17 AM   #173
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

There are always...possibilities.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 05:21 PM   #174
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Well David I'm enjoying your book. I had gotten both ZSG and STF first and only read ZSG first. After I finished and found out the actually chrono order, I started your book.

I'm just happy you showed what happened to Vaughn from what was mentioned in ZSG.
After reading some of the reviews on here about Sisko, I can see what they ment but honestly we never saw him in the show ever face the Borg again. He's dealing with death again and then him wanting to leave his Emissary role behind is something he wants done for good as well.
Just to get away from Kasidy and Rebecca, he had to find out on his own what he needed.

Also enjoying the other plots involved as well. I'm kind of surprised you didn't have one small part of Ezri contacting Sisko at some point through. Overall good work.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 06:16 PM   #175
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^
I'm kind of surprised you didn't have one small part of Ezri contacting Sisko at some point through.
(Reads post. Mental wheels starts spinning.... Jots furiously in notebook....)

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 06:55 AM   #176
shanejayell
Captain

I suspect Ezri as Sisko's old friend Dax would kick his ass for being all mopey & crap. *lol*

Minor thought: Sisko asks Kira to check in on Kasdy. Wouldn't Kas still be kinda annoyed at Kira over releasing the prophecies that named her baby the Avatar and presumably triggered the kidnapping?
Old January 14 2011, 08:13 AM   #177
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

I just finished the novel and rated it "above average". It was VERY enjoyable; there were moments where the story would start to get a little boring...and then BAM, something exciting really happend.

The situation with Donatra really makes me wonder...
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 01:00 PM   #178
jhempel24
Lieutenant

Sooooo......question I guess.

I just finished up Seize the Fire and Rough Beasts of Empire, and was wondering a bit about Rough Beasts of Empire.

I have a really hard time with political books in Star Trek, and usually am unable to finish, but did find enough enjoyment in this to finish.

So at the end of the book

jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 04:21 PM   #179
shanejayell
Captain

Pretty much.

Old January 15 2011, 06:15 PM   #180
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Exactly.