Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 6 2011, 09:35 AM   #16
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: A General Science Refresher

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
I wouldn't discount media other than books. Try the BBC documentary "The Story of Science" on DVD or Blu-ray. http://www.amazon.com/Story-Science-...4302046&sr=1-1
There is also a book that goes with the series.

Alternatively, there are a large number of free science videos on iTunes.
That looks good. It's pricey for me right now, but something I can bookmark and check out later. I don't really discount other media, but a reason I like books is that I can put them in a backpack and carry them with me. You can sort of do this with DVD and Blu-ray, and that does look like something I would enjoy. I guess it's just nice to have that book in your hands. You know what I mean? Again, though, thank you Great Mambo Chicken, that does look interesting, and I've bookmarked it.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Jadzia
on holiday

What about an Encyclopedia of Science?

It would cover most areas, and there will be some with an adult reading level.

Here's an internet version:

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/ETEmain.html

It looks quite comprehensive. The three articles I've just clicked though only introduce the basics of the topics, but do read at an adult level.
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Santa Claus wrote: View Post
I wouldn't discount media other than books. Try the BBC documentary "The Story of Science" on DVD or Blu-ray.
That looks good. It's pricey for me right now, but something I can bookmark and check out later. I don't really discount other media, but a reason I like books is that I can put them in a backpack and carry them with me. You can sort of do this with DVD and Blu-ray, and that does look like something I would enjoy. I guess it's just nice to have that book in your hands. You know what I mean? Again, though, thank you Great Mambo Chicken, that does look interesting, and I've bookmarked it.
Yeah, $70 is too expensive for the Blu-ray -- although another seller lists it for $30. It doesn't look like the DVD is available in the US. There's also The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski, but it's about 36-years old now and so doesn't include a lot of recent discoveries. I would suggest picking a few areas of interest, such as Genetics, Cosmology, High Energy Physics, or Quantum Theory, and finding popular introductory books in these fields. Science nowadays is probably too vast for a generalist tome to cover in anything but the sketchiest of detail.
Old January 6 2011, 07:32 PM   #19
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Jadzia wrote: View Post
What about an Encyclopedia of Science?

It would cover most areas, and there will be some with an adult reading level.

Here's an internet version:

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/ETEmain.html

It looks quite comprehensive. The three articles I've just clicked though only introduce the basics of the topics, but do read at an adult level.
Oh, that is awesome! Thanks Jadzia! I can use this, and it's the perfect price: free.

I wouldn't discount media other than books. Try the BBC documentary "The Story of Science" on DVD or Blu-ray.
Yeah, $70 is too expensive for the Blu-ray -- although another seller lists it for $30. It doesn't look like the DVD is available in the US. There's also The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski, but it's about 36-years old now and so doesn't include a lot of recent discoveries. I would suggest picking a few areas of interest, such as Genetics, Cosmology, High Energy Physics, or Quantum Theory, and finding popular introductory books in these fields. Science nowadays is probably too vast for a generalist tome to cover in anything but the sketchiest of detail.
You're right on that one. I started browsing around and suddenly realized that science has apparently made massive leaps since my high school days! It's just this past decade+ has been so busy, I failed to notice the changes in how it's presented.

Old January 8 2011, 07:34 PM   #20
cheeseyfatmonkey
Commander

Something like this maybe?

Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything

It's really well written and a very easy read.
cheeseyfatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 08:30 PM   #21
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

cheeseyfatmonkey wrote: View Post
Something like this maybe?

Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything

It's really well written and a very easy read.
I saw that, and was very interested in it, but was concerned about the many reviews questioning his accuracy. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Old January 10 2011, 10:05 AM   #22
ThankQ
Admiral

kes7 wrote: View Post
Jolly Ole Saint RoJo wrote: View Post
I think you should just ask us questions and see what answers we come up with!
That might not end well.

kes7 wrote: View Post
Honestly, surf around Amazon.com on various topics. You'll find what you're looking for.
Sure, I could search on Amazon or Google, but what I want are the suggestions of people I'm more familiar with. TBBS is filled with scientists, teachers, professors, and researchers of all types, and I'd like to draw on that experience and knowledge.
This post is very contradictory.

That said, what are you interested in? Science is HUGE. Computers? Communication? Astronomy? Quantum Physics? Genetics? Nanotech? There are so many different fields I'm not sure you're going to find a good and handy resource for all of them.
Bleh. Just as Feynman laughed off the social sciences as not really science, I do the same with computer science.

So called "computer science" is why a forum titled "Science and Technology" has 978 threads about how to how to use you Wii for better orgasms and 1 thread about biology, which slowly falls into thread oblivion after 1 reply.
Old January 14 2011, 06:23 AM   #23
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

What about bookmarking a science website such as http://www.newscientist.com/
Old January 14 2011, 06:37 AM   #24
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
What about bookmarking a science website such as http://www.newscientist.com/
It will be an interesting read, and a great way to stay on top of current trends. Thank you.

Old January 14 2011, 11:18 AM   #25
Switch
Captain

ThankQ wrote: View Post
So called "computer science" is why a forum titled "Science and Technology" has 978 threads about how to how to use you Wii for better orgasms and 1 thread about biology, which slowly falls into thread oblivion after 1 reply.
No, that's the 'technology' part of the forum description. Computer Science is rather more narrowly defined.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:50 AM   #26
iguana_tonante
Admiral

It will sound like an obvious suggestion, but I found good ol' wiki quite informative and usually accurate when I wanted to read something outside my fiend of expertise. I wouldn't use it in one of my papers, of course, but it's not bad as general knowledge goes. Also, it allows you more freedom to jump from link to link instead of taking you into a pre-set journey like a book.
Old January 14 2011, 01:50 PM   #27
ThankQ
Admiral

Switchbk wrote: View Post
No, that's the 'technology' part of the forum description. Computer Science is rather more narrowly defined.
Right, a couple of science threads that usually get 4 "that's cool" replies before they die. There are 17x as many tech threads. It will be what most people want it to be, that's fine, but it makes me think "awh shucks" because I love the science part and the tech part, PARTICULARLY comptuer tech, bores the everlivingshit out of me.

I don't care about your iPatch, I really don't. Other pepople do, that's fine, and I'm not saying people can't talk about their iPatch all they want.

Just sucks for me (and I imagine a couple others) about how little science is in "Science and Tech". I did a whole rant about it in TNZ last year.
Old January 14 2011, 02:15 PM   #28
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

This isn't the forum that you are looking for.
Old January 14 2011, 04:56 PM   #29
ThankQ
Admiral

This isn't the forum that you are looking for.
I know, but really funny for a forum that starts with the word "Science". It's like we have a forum called "Beans and Weenies" and all people ever talk about is weenies.
Old January 14 2011, 06:55 PM   #30
Jadzia
on holiday

Just sucks for me (and I imagine a couple others) about how little science is in "Science and Tech". I did a whole rant about it in TNZ last year.
One way to change that status quo is to start science topics yourself.

Science that's new and interesting often gets posted in misc, which leaves us with:

- old science, which we already know and have no reason to talk about.
- uninteresting science, which nobody wants to talk about.
- regular stuff, like news of the latest shuttle launch... which I happen to find uninteresting.
- non-science, which we moderate out.
- hypotheticals, which have a history of drawing a crowd of critics and/or flames.
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote