IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 11 2011, 11:01 AM   #301
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Honestly, I'm just not feeling this. I'll probably see it eventually, but I just can't generate any excitement fort it at all.
Old January 11 2011, 03:41 PM   #302
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I'm still willing to give it a chance though but I cannot say I'm feeling this guy as Peter Parker. And I prefer the organic web-shooters in the live action version (the comics, whatever) as it causes a lot of suspension of disbelief to buy that some smart teenage kid in his Aunt's basement made a super-strong compound. I'd just find it hard to buy, but I guess it depends on how they explain it. If they want to say he secretes the compound from, um, "a place where it logically should come out" and he puts it into the shooter that's fine. But I think the compound needs a better origin than "he makes this crazy-ass awesome material on his own!"
Old January 11 2011, 04:12 PM   #303
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Andrew's casting sold me after watching him in "The Social Network" where he acts his pants off and steals scenes. He isn't what I'm hesitate about nor is Emma as Gwen Stacy. I'm interested in the actual story that Vanderbilt and Webb are going to present to us and how different is it going to be from what Rami did. One thing to do a reboot...it's something else entirely to present something different though, that's what I'm looking for from this film. What is so different about this take from what Rami would have done with a Spidey 4? I also have the upmost confidence in director Marc Webb after seeing "500 Days of Summer". He presented New York beautifully and stylistically...I suppose that this will be somewhat different since they're not actually shooting the film in New York.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 09:20 PM   #304
captcalhoun
Admiral

as long as Spidey is a smart-mouth, i'll probably be happy. that REALLY annoyed me about the Maguire/Raimi flicks that he just didn't run off at the mouth enough.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 10:46 PM   #305
Spookman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I'm hoping Gwen is wearing gloves to hide her organic web-shooters.
Old January 11 2011, 10:46 PM   #306
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm interested in the actual story that Vanderbilt and Webb are going to present to us and how different is it going to be from what Rami did. One thing to do a reboot...it's something else entirely to present something different though, that's what I'm looking for from this film. What is so different about this take from what Rami would have done with a Spidey 4?
It's hard to know without seeing the movie but I'm guessing there'll be more of an Ultimate Spider-man vibe. The casting seems younger. Not just Peter and his contemporaries (who will be the age that they were around the beginning of Raimi's first movie, IIRC) but Martin Sheen and Sally Field (Ben & May Parker) are younger and more vigorous than cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris. Even more so Dennis Leary than James Cromwell (Chief Stacy).

Andrew is a very different actor to Tobey and looks very different; this isn't like when Jake Gylenhall was supposed to be replacing Maguire for Spider-man 2 (how many people wouldn't have noticed?!). Rhys Ifans is a long way removed from Dylan Baker and will also presumably be a very different Curt Connors (and will presumably also get to play the Lizard, unlike poor Dylan!).

Flash Thompson has been cast but not, unless I've missed it, Harry Osborne, so I wonder if Flash will form part of any central love triangle and if Harry will be omitted? Perhaps they don't feel there's any point including Harry if Norman/ Green Goblin isn't in the movie. And of course the other part of the love triangle will be Gwen Stacy, not MJ (hopefully Emma Roberts won't be wasted like Bryce Dallas Howard was).

Rumour had it Raimi's Spidey 4 would have had Peter & MJ raising a kid but obviously that won't happen in this movie.

I suppose then you have to consider the differences between a movie directed by the maker of Evil Dead and one by the maker of 500 Days of Summer. Admittedly, Raimi made a surprisingly sweet and old-fashioned first movie, with his ED tendencies only really emerging in the Doc Ock origin scene in S-M2. But I'm reminded of the way that Tim Burton and Chris Nolan each made very dark yet very different Batman movies. Burton's was all freaks & outcasts, gothic vistas and surrealism. Nolan's exhibited his penchant for fractured chronology and a slowly-revealed mystery. Hopefully this movie will similarly play to Webb's strengths.
Old January 11 2011, 11:06 PM   #307
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Harry and Norman are interestingly absent from this movie so far...and of course i agree about the Ultimate Spider-Man vibe. If that is the tone and inspiration they're going for then I'm excited. Other than Batman, Spider-Man is my favorite hero and one that I have an emotional connection to going back to when I was two years old!!! I just want to see the character done right. I think Sam's films captured various elements and was right to base the films around an emotional core story but they lacked something too. I think those films were almost too realistic depicting in a way and not comic book looking enough. People will debate this of course...and the third was a disaster. I'm willing to give this a chance.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 09:26 PM   #308
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Picture up.

Skinny guy.
Old January 13 2011, 09:28 PM   #309
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Looks like a high schooler turned superhero to me.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 09:30 PM   #310
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

What a depressing first photo.
He just get his ass handed to him? It seems once again we are going the "mask is always removed route"...again.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 09:32 PM   #311
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
He just get his ass handed to him? It seems once again we are going the "mask is always removed route"...again.

A studio doesn't pay someone a punch of money and have the stunt man do all the work. You want to see what you paid for.
Old January 13 2011, 09:33 PM   #312
Spookman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

The costume changes are minor, but kind of annoying in the sense that they're pointless. The crisscross pattern instead of webs, the blue parts on the gloves, the (sort of) exclusion of the belt...

It doesn't look bad, but it looks like it's done for its own sake, instead of design purposes. Hopefully, the mask hasn't been changed drastically.
Old January 13 2011, 09:35 PM   #313
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ @ Captain Craig It's probably just to reinforce the fact that it's not Tobey behind the mask. It is a promo pic, after all.

I really like it, I think it looks great. The suit is similar to the Maguire era yet subtly different. Colour me impressed.
Old January 13 2011, 09:37 PM   #314
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mechanical webshooters. Nice.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 09:49 PM   #315
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post

A studio doesn't pay someone a punch of money and have the stunt man do all the work. You want to see what you paid for.

Agreed. You don't want your final act of the movie to involve the stuntman taking the credit.

Bruce taking off his mask in "Batman Returns"

The Spider-man movies

Iron Man 1 and 2(Crushed helmet and broken helmet giving us a reason to see Robert Downey Jr.

The lead actor has to show his face at the end of the movie
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote