Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2011, 09:45 AM   #76
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Farscape Complete Series Deal of the Day

It's just how shows were filmed at the time. Widescreen had yet to become the norm for TV.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 09:50 AM   #77
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
What? I didnt no season one was in fullscreen? WTF! This totally ruins it for me, i hate fullscreen when my computer is widescreen.

And cant get Window Media Player to strech it. Yikes, this sucks.
Only season 4 and Peacekeeper Wars are available in 16:9. Not many people had widesreen TVs when the show originally aired.
Old January 8 2011, 09:57 AM   #78
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

What? I didnt no season one was in fullscreen? WTF! This totally ruins it for me, i hate fullscreen when my computer is widescreen.

Why on Earth would you want to stretch video that wasn't intended to be widescreen? That would make the whole video look distorted.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 02:53 PM   #79
Snick27
Captain

Emh wrote: View Post

Why on Earth would you want to stretch video that wasn't intended to be widescreen? That would make the whole video look distorted.

You should see what i do to old doctor who episodes. Plus alot of people i no use Zoom on their tvs to fill the tv screen and i do that for old Doctor Who on my computer. Saddly i cant figure how to get Media Player to do it. So might have to rip it and play with GOM.
Snick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 10:30 PM   #80
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Of course the images weren't composed or performed for widescreen, so...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 10:35 PM   #81
RoJoHen
Awesome

Dennis wrote: View Post
Of course the images weren't composed or performed for widescreen, so...
I've been bad about this. I bought such a big TV, and it feels wrong not to utilize the whole screen. I'm trying to be better about it. Honestly, though, some shows actually look a little better stretched out on my TV. When I don't stretch them out, everything looks squished.
Old January 9 2011, 03:56 PM   #82
Neroon
Mod of balance

Has anyone else noticed a disconnect between audio and video during the episode commentaries? Today I was watching the one for "Green Eyed Monster", and at several points there seemed to be a noticeable lag on the audio of the episode being reviewed. Now, the actual episode itself (ie - not the commentary version) seems fine. Everything is in sync. But if I watch the commentary with Ben and Tony, there are several spots when the vocals for the characters are clearly out of step.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2011, 09:19 PM   #83
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Fartscape is $7.99 on Netflix...

Tried watching it, but it's too hokey for me. Enjoy if you're a fan
Old January 9 2011, 09:39 PM   #84
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Has anyone else noticed a disconnect between audio and video during the episode commentaries? Today I was watching the one for "Green Eyed Monster", and at several points there seemed to be a noticeable lag on the audio of the episode being reviewed. Now, the actual episode itself (ie - not the commentary version) seems fine. Everything is in sync. But if I watch the commentary with Ben and Tony, there are several spots when the vocals for the characters are clearly out of step.

I listened to half of the commentary from DNA Mad Scientist and it seemed OK, but wasn't funny paying attention.
Old January 9 2011, 09:50 PM   #85
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

hamudm wrote: View Post
...it's too hokey for me.
Dude, your avatar is a cat animation. Just sayin'.
Old January 11 2011, 03:45 AM   #86
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
hamudm wrote: View Post
...it's too hokey for me.
Dude, your avatar is a cat animation. Just sayin'.
Lol, good point Dennis, as far as the commentary thing goes, I haven't watched it on the new set, but I watched all the commentaries on the original dvd's and they were fine. I do not know if the commentaries were rerecorded for this new set or not.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 05:28 AM   #87
Yoda
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I've been bad about this. I bought such a big TV, and it feels wrong not to utilize the whole screen. I'm trying to be better about it. Honestly, though, some shows actually look a little better stretched out on my TV. When I don't stretch them out, everything looks squished.
That is a very backwards argument. Having a small TV is an ok argument for zooming and stretching.

A 32" 4:3 CRT back in the day was considered pretty big, not to mention ridiculously heavy and annoying to move... On my 50" widescreen a non-stretched 4:3 image is still significantly bigger than that old CRT I upgraded from. So what is the problem that's so big that you need to distort the image? Ever see the camera pan in one of those zoom modes? It isn't pretty as the sides warp awkwardly.

And I have no idea how everything could look squished. Maybe Ben Browder just got a little chubbier in his post 4:3 days!

If the things in the actual frame are squished then you should probably feel the same way about widescreen since it's the same. So why not stretch widescreen some more. M
Old January 11 2011, 05:52 AM   #88
RoJoHen
Awesome

^In all fairness, I haven't watched any Farscape on this TV yet (I just got it over the summer), so I don't know how it would look.

Buffy, however, looks really squished in its "proper" aspect ratio, but when I stretch it out it looks fine. My TV has several settings for adjusting the ratio, and some look better than others.
Old January 11 2011, 12:18 PM   #89
Neroon
Mod of balance

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post

I listened to half of the commentary from DNA Mad Scientist and it seemed OK, but wasn't funny paying attention.
Interesting. I'll check that one out today and see if it exhibits anything similar to the commentary for GEM
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 04:20 PM   #90
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This time around I'm enjoying a number of the episodes that I didn't think much of when I first saw them - stuff like "Thank God It's Friday...Again."

"PK Tech Girl," which I did like a lot the first time, is really sweet.