To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2011, 01:16 AM   #76
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Though this is probably a minority opinion, "Look at the Princess" is my favorite of Farscape's trilogies. Crichton and Aeryn's romance is the heart of this show, and these are the episodes where they finally start to focus on it (though perhaps not in ways you might expect).

Aeryn: "No! No! I will not be a slave to your hormones!"
John: "My hormones? Hey, I was lips, you were tongue!"

It also serves to introduce us to the Scarrens, even if it is only one guy.
Old January 7 2011, 05:13 AM   #77
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Jolly Ole Saint RoJo wrote: View Post
Crichton and Aeryn's romance is the heart of this show, and these are the episodes where they finally start to focus on it (though perhaps not in ways you might expect).
Subverting expectations is always a plus, and something Farscape tends to do well with.
Jolly Ole Saint RoJo wrote: View Post
Aeryn: "No! No! I will not be a slave to your hormones!"
John: "My hormones? Hey, I was lips, you were tongue!"
Another fantastic quote.

Look at the Princess Part II: I Do, I Think.
- I really do love a woman who can kick ass, especially one who has hidden weapons. Pity Jenavian had to be another Peacekeeper, though.

- Schemes, more schemes, and yet more schemes... This trilogy is becoming deliciously complicated: Clavor & Cargn, the PKs in the form of Jenavian Charto, Scorpius through ro-NA. Not many shows carry off interlocking plots as well as these episodes are doing so far.

- Hah, I love that Aeryn's feelings for Crichton manifested in this episode as protective threats to both Katralla and Jenavian. It's so perfect for her character. Chiana's attempt to do the same to Clavor & Cargn, though, was just amusing; she is so not ready to present herself as a convincing threat.

- No one pulls off the "pretend to be crazy to confuse the hell out of your captors" shtick than Browder does. He really embraces it with gusto.

- Is this Braca guy going to be around for a while? He may be an enemy PK, but I like the actor. He's doing a good job as a recurring character. As I've mentioned before, I know I've seen the latter half of season four and PKW in the past, but I can't say I recall much in the way of details.

- This may be kind of a "duh" statement, but I do not like this Kahaynu "god." Moya does not deserve death for an experiment forced upon her by Crais and the PKs. Their judgment is bullshit, even though I know Moya won't actually die.

- Aeryn & Crichton are both too damn stubborn, each expressing only maybe half of what they want to say to one another. If she had simply said "yes," with no additions, to Crichton asking "with you?" when she broached the option of him running away, he probably would have agreed.

- Great closing image, the Crichton statue with a grimace on his face and on his knees. I was surprised, in fact, that the statue transformation took place. I was expecting some sort of last-minute interruption.

Look at the Princess Part III: The Maltese Crichton
- Clavor's tantrum, culminating in punching Crichton's statue head, definitely illustrated perfectly his emotional lack of suitability to be ruler. I couldn't help but laugh at his crying mini-rant, especially after he was cradling his head post-punch.

- I have to admire Scorpy for being so hands-on that he alone went to retrieve Crichton's head. Crais probably would've delegated such tasks, or at least taken a force of troopers with him to do so.

- "Oh, nice dress." "Save it." So, so true, Crichton...

- "That is either the most pathetic fabrication I have ever heard, or the most pathetic life I could ever imagine." "Oh, like there aren't some wacked-out antecedents to a chick with a stiletto in her wrist."

- After this episode, I revise my "pity she's another PK" comment from last episode re: Jenavian. I like her a lot. I wasn't expecting her to turn out to be so reasonable. I certainly wasn't expecting that Crichton would end up sleeping with her! Just how many PK women is he going to end up attracted to, anyways?

- I'm continually impressed at the pains the show takes to make the audience identify with Moya as her own character. To simply say that she is a living being with her own mind and soul is one thing; to actually prove it to us, as this episode does through Kahaynu's testing of Zhaan, is quite another and indeed is very tricky. I wouldn't want the show to make a habit of allowing Moya to converse directly with the crew, rather than through Pilot and/or DRDs, but it was certainly effective here. Moya isn't just a ship or a companion; she is her own individual in this misfit family.

- Chiana asked D'Argo near the end of the episode why Crichton didn't kill Scorpy. I'm going to bet right now that Scorpy made sure Crichton couldn't harm him while he had Crichton in the Aurora Chair, given the foreshadowing about a "relationship" between the two. [All but confirmed in the following episode! Go me for spotting an obvious!]

- Poor John, knowing that Katralla is going to have his daughter, a child he'll never have a chance to see... On the other hand, at least he has Aeryn and the rest of his adopted alien family.

- As RoJo pointed out, this trilogy definitely handled the Crichton/Aeryn relationship one might not expect, and I think it was the stronger for it. Direct "confrontations" between the two would be the most obvious route to take, but I prefer the (relatively, for the most part) subdued exchanges between the two, as well as the conversations with "outsiders" or friends about the relationship. I think it'll make the resulting acknowledgments down the line feel more "earned" in a dramatic and emotional sense than if the two were to have had "big" conversations now.

Beware of Dog
- Freaky hallucinations of Scorpy, Crichton. In addition to my previous prediction about not being able to harm Scorpy, I'm going to add one that Scorpy has somehow "programmed" Crichton to seek him out at a specific, future point. Along those lines, I'm going to speculate that these hallucinations are intentional and aimed at driving Crichton insane so that he does seek out Scorpy.

- "What did you expect me to use, harsh language?"

- This was a mostly enjoyable episode, albeit nothing particularly noteworthy or memorable beyond the Scorpy hallucinations. Lots of funny little moments throughout, though, such as Aeryn & Crichton's "conversation" with the Vorc.

- 8 episodes left in this season...

By the way, there probably will not be any further reviews until Tuesday at the earliest. Starting tomorrow, we're spending the weekend moving into a new house. Internet and television services are both being transferred to the new house tomorrow afternoon, though we probably aren't going to actually be in the house until Sunday evening. The new semester starts on Monday and I want to hit that running (as well as arranging stuff in the new house, of course), so I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I don't have any time to watch more episodes until Tuesday. You folks will have to get your vicarious Farscape experiences elsewhere for the next few days, I'm afraid.
PsychoPere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 05:25 AM   #78
RoJoHen
Awesome

I agree with pretty much everything you said regarding these episodes. Excellent reviews.

I do have to say, though, that my favorite scene from "Look at the Princess" is the very last one, where Aeryn and Crichton silently kiss and then she walks away. And as she's walking away, they both smile to themselves. It's a great moment, and I like the way it bookends the trilogy, which started with them making out in her prowler and her subsequently getting pissed off.
Old January 7 2011, 06:10 AM   #79
label
Vice Admiral

Wow. I'm so jealous of you right now.........getting to experience one of the best trilogies of Sci-Fi aired. Like Rojo, I consider that 3 parter to be quintessential Farscape and some of the best stuff we ever got from that series. What sets this trilogy apart from the other really fantastic ones you'll get two at the end of Season 2 and Season 3 is how balanced the romance, humor, tragedy, action, mystery and everything else that series of episodes does so well. It really has it all and even though I have to give the nod to the 3 parters that ends Season 2 over this one, it's still awesome material that really takes the show to the next level.

A couple of things from memory about the episodes that stuck out to me:

- The sex appeal throughout the trilogy was up there
- Critchon on the shuttle with that "slave" chick and Braka was fantastic.
- The D'argo line about having great sex with Chianna line was great
- The sweetness and tearjerker part with John's possible child was great
- The Aeryn/John stuff was golden.

Man, I really, really wish I was rewatching these with you. You are heading into some seriously awesome stuff!
Old January 7 2011, 06:12 AM   #80
RoJoHen
Awesome

Agreed. I am jealous as hell.

The reason I like this trilogy more than the others is because of that balance of so many of Farscape's themes. It has everything, and I feel like it's a little more down to earth.

However, I understand why people might like the other trilogies more, as they are just packed full of awesome.
Old January 7 2011, 06:14 AM   #81
label
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
By the way, there probably will not be any further reviews until Tuesday at the earliest. Starting tomorrow, we're spending the weekend moving into a new house. Internet and television services are both being transferred to the new house tomorrow afternoon, though we probably aren't going to actually be in the house until Sunday evening.
Suuuure. And the dog ate your homework, sun got in your eyes and the check's in the mail. You really expect us to buy this whole lame "I'm moving" crap as a valid reason not to watch more Farscape and post your review online. Good lord man, people depend on you!!

Hope moving goes well.....looking forward to the rest of season 2 with you.
Old January 7 2011, 06:43 AM   #82
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

The Princess trilogy is a wonderful quite story (I say quiet in comparison to Farscape's other duologies and trilogies), although not quite my favorite simply because "Into the Lion's Den" and "We're So Screwed" are so utterly awesome.

- Is this Braca guy going to be around for a while? He may be an enemy PK, but I like the actor. He's doing a good job as a recurring character. As I've mentioned before, I know I've seen the latter half of season four and PKW in the past, but I can't say I recall much in the way of details.
Yes, Braca is around for awhile and I quite like the character, too, although I wish we got just a bit more development of the character. David Franklin is a wonderful actor, both here and on Hercules/Xena as Brutus (where I saw him prior to Farscape).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 05:18 PM   #83
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

I was actually going to say that myself, I always enjoy seeing Farscape characters in other roles, I feel that Wayne Pygram got robbed by not having any lines in Star Wars EP. 3 as his resemblence to a younger Peter Cushing is stunning. One of my favorite memories of David Franklin in Farscape isn't in one of the episodes, but in the special features for the PK wars mini-series where he introduces himself in one of the early script read throughs.

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
The Princess trilogy is a wonderful quite story (I say quiet in comparison to Farscape's other duologies and trilogies), although not quite my favorite simply because "Into the Lion's Den" and "We're So Screwed" are so utterly awesome.

Yes, Braca is around for awhile and I quite like the character, too, although I wish we got just a bit more development of the character. David Franklin is a wonderful actor, both here and on Hercules/Xena as Brutus (where I saw him prior to Farscape).
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 04:45 AM   #84
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

I have to say, though, in terms of favorites that I like to come back to, my favorite of the "Farscape Trilogies" is the "Liars, Guns and Money" series we're about to come up on... without getting into too much detail, I will simply say that I think it made for a great finale, for reasons I'll elaborate on when we get there... I like the later ones just fine with no complaints... this is just the one I come back to whenever I feel like watching some epic Farscape...

I recently re-watched the Princess trilogy, and I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it, as I didn't remember it being quite so entertaining... I agree with the way they handled Aeryn and Crichton's relationship here... their reactions are really very genuine... exactly the way I would see real people behaving if they'd had the kind of of backgrounds and relationships these two have.

And to answer the question posed earlier, yes, Braca will return... "...Is the rematch ever better than the original fight?"

My favorite line of this trilogy, though....

Ka D'Argo: The bad news is that you're married and you must endure as a statue for 80 cycles on a strange world.
John Crichton: What's the good news?
Ka D'Argo: Chiana and I are having fantastic sex.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 06:07 PM   #85
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I think the Look at the Princess trilogy is a lot of fun. Absolutely all over the place and off the wall in a way that probably only Farscape could pull off and with some touching moments as well.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Zhaan subplot though. Lines like "I am so filled with uncharitable rage" didn't help.
Old January 8 2011, 07:34 PM   #86
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm only on episode 5ish, but I love the show. The last one I watched is when they used food to control people. It felt like classic sci-fi for the modern age. It feels like Star Trek and Stargate meets modern day, even through the show is over a decade old. I love the aliens, how some are humanoid and others are giant shrimp like, and the ship is connected to the pilot and the little Yoda dude.

So what episode is everyone up to on here? I'm trying not to read too much, so episode number would be best.
Old January 8 2011, 07:38 PM   #87
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

So what episode is everyone up to on here? I'm trying not to read too much, so episode number would be best.
This thread is up to "Beware of Dog," which is from the middle of Season 2.
Old January 8 2011, 09:10 PM   #88
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

This thread is up to "Beware of Dog," which is from the middle of Season 2.

Thank you.
Old January 10 2011, 03:50 AM   #89
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I wasn't expecting to have time today, but moving has proceeded more quickly than I expected, so I do indeed have time tonight to watch a few more episodes. There are many things (i.e., books and DVDs) that still need to be unpacked and shelved, but all of the important matters have pretty much been handled already, much to my relief.

Won't Get Fooled Again
- I believe I've commented on it before, but I'm going to repeat it anyways: this series really does handle continuity references well. References to past events (A Human Reaction; Maldis; Rhapsody in Blue; etc) are handled matter-of-factly, very quick references that don't get bogged down in exposition while also serving to present the characters as "real" individuals whose expectations are formed by their past experiences just as ours are in real life. Crichton's attack on his father; his attempt to use the women's restroom to escape a perceived created reality; and so on are all logical due to his experience with the Ancients in "A Human Reaction," as was his rundown of other past events that involved false memories, different realities, etc.

- Whereas most other shows that would attempt an episode like this would probably flash between seeing Zhaan and D'Argo as they "really" look and sans character makeup, I appreciate that Farscape instead presents Zhaan and D'Argo exactly as John would expect them to look, especially that the other characters apparently see the "aliens" just as Crichton does.

- Speaking of important differences between Farscape's approach in this episode and what other shows would do with a similar episode, I love that Crichton isn't attempting to fit in and act as if everything is normal, pretending that his experiences on Moya really were a hallucination resulting from trauma of the module crash. Browder really does have great comedic timing, and it's refreshing to see this episode have him just cut completely loose since he believes it's all some manner of trick and there can't possibly be repercussions for his actions. It's also nice to see Anthony Simcoe and Claudia Black get a chance to cut loose, too, and embrace over-the-top performances since their characters so rarely offer that opportunity.

- And now, concrete confirmation that Scorpy implanted something into Crichton while he was in the Aurora Chair - and it's a copy of Scorpy's own consciousness? That's... scary, in a word. Amused, though of course not surprised, that Crichton went and named Scorpy's clone too.

- I feel like I should comment more directly on the content of Crichton's delusions while under the Scarran's mind-probe attempts, but I'm not entirely sure what to say. They were wonderfully bizarre and hilarious, in a manner that is quintessential Farscape. I think my favorite might be the scene with D'Argo where they talked about the "Luxan bonding ritual," because it reminded me of the exchange that Bonzo quoted a few posts ago. I used the phrase "over-the-top" earlier to describe Simcoe's performance in this episode, but I think it applies well to many of the show's more comedic episodes and makes Farscape stand out as being quite unlike anything I've seen before, which is definitely intended as praise, not complaint. I really like the way the show mixes comedy and drama; on one hand, we have Crichton's ridiculous delusions, while at the same time finding out that the delusions are because he's a Scarran prisoner and his only way out alive is due to Scorpy's mental clone, two issues of great concern for Crichton.

The Locket
- Stark is back! And with bad news to boot. I'm sure the timing, with another trilogy starting in a few episodes and leading into the season finale, is just a coincidence.

- This is a beautiful, quiet little story. Seeing Crichton and Aeryn old and together was lovely. Even though they spent so much time together in the erased (?) timeline, it feels true to Aeryn's character that she would only have obliquely admitted her love for Crichton. Post-"Princess" trilogy, they may know they are genetically compatible, but Aeryn and Crichton probably still aren't yet ready for a genuine relationship beyond what they have now.

- This episode feels like a respite, providing a brief period of time for Moya's crew to pause and catch their breath, so to speak, between the events of the mid-season trilogy and what I can only assume will be explosive closing events of the season.

The Ugly Truth
- Chiana and Rygel sure do seem to get split off from the rest of the crew on a regular basis.

- Uh, wow. I was not expecting Stark to be back for only two episodes. I thought he'd be sticking around longer, at least through the season finale. I hope he did manage to survive the dispersal, as he theorized might be possible.

- It was nice to see Talyn again, even if only in flashback recollections. Don't think I have anything else to say, though.
PsychoPere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 03:59 AM   #90
RoJoHen
Awesome

"The Locket" is probably my favorite standalone episode of the series. I love Stark. I love seeing Crichton and Aeryn growing old together (although Crichton's old guy makeup is absolutely terrifying!).

The last 5 episodes of the season are absolutely fantastic and full of a lot of crazy twists and turns, and the "Liars, Guns, and Money" trilogy puts some important focus on characters other than Crichton and Aeryn. The whole story is, in fact, motivated by D'Argo. My favorite thing about Farscape is that, while Crichton is obviously the main character, it truly is an ensemble show. Every character gets their moment in the sun, and the situations are driven by their very realistic motivations.