Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 4 2011, 04:14 PM   #106
Christopher
Writer

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

Actually I'm not sure I agree with her decision to read the book. If the script went in a substantially different direction, then her initial reasoning was sound: she should base her performance only on the script's version of the character and not confuse things by considering an alternate slant. (Just as actors playing a character that's previously been played by someone else often choose not to watch the earlier performances, wishing to create their own distinct characterization rather than just imitating someone else.) A book is the creation of one person, but a film is the work of many. Her director might have a vision for his version of Nikki Heat that's substantially different from what's in the book, so if she draws too much on the book, it might clash with what the director wants from her.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 04:05 PM   #107
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
This was a fun episode with a lot of laughs, but I was just not happy with the casting of this Laura Prepon person. She's statuesque, I'll give her that, but I don't like her face or voice, and I didn't think she was nearly as good a Beckett impersonator as the script claimed. And I certainly couldn't buy that she was as irresistibly sexy as the script claimed.
I completely agree. When she first appeared on screen, my one thought was, "Is there any part of her face that hasn't been botoxed?" I think they pushed her obsession with character just a little too far, and the pursuit of Castle sexually just was over the top.

My favorite bit was the proposal at the end. That was just plain perfect.
Old January 5 2011, 06:55 PM   #108
Forbin
Admiral

I don't think Prepon has had any surgery - she's always been odd/pretty. But they went WAY overboard with eye makeup on her!

It still kills me that she's gone blonde, though. She's an awesome natural redhead.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 07:45 PM   #109
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Yeah, she doesn't look good as a blond. She looked way better in the Beckett wig.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 12:26 AM   #110
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't think Prepon has had any surgery - she's always been odd/pretty.
Well, I didn't seriously think her whole face was full of blowtox, but it just seemed so puffy seeing her for the first time. While I was never really sold on her playing Nikki Heat, she wasn't horrible in the part either. Everyone's reactions to her helped things tremendously.
Old January 7 2011, 02:30 AM   #111
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

This was a fun episode with a lot of laughs, but I was just not happy with the casting of this Laura Prepon person. She's statuesque, I'll give her that, but I don't like her face or voice, and I didn't think she was nearly as good a Beckett impersonator as the script claimed. And I certainly couldn't buy that she was as irresistibly sexy as the script claimed.
I wasn't sold on her at first (and this is as somebody who loved redheaded Prepon on That 70s show), but once she got the wig and the clothes - oh wow. I thought she did a great job. I think to some extent I just don't like Laura Prepon as a blonde. I definitely grew to like Natalie more as the episode went on, and the scene where they're all "hiding from creepy Beckett" was great. I don't think we've seen Kate that flustered.

And really to some extent you have to give Prepon credit. She was playing an actress (Natalie Rhodes) becoming a character (Nikki Heat) who is a fictionalized version of a character (Kate Beckett) brought to life by another actress (Stana Katic).

Yeah, I thought this was a fantastic episode.
Old January 7 2011, 04:33 AM   #112
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Actually I'm not sure I agree with her decision to read the book. If the script went in a substantially different direction, then her initial reasoning was sound: she should base her performance only on the script's version of the character and not confuse things by considering an alternate slant. (Just as actors playing a character that's previously been played by someone else often choose not to watch the earlier performances, wishing to create their own distinct characterization rather than just imitating someone else.) A book is the creation of one person, but a film is the work of many. Her director might have a vision for his version of Nikki Heat that's substantially different from what's in the book, so if she draws too much on the book, it might clash with what the director wants from her.
Don't you think, though, that that same logic would NEGATE going to the "original person" of the character to get tips?

(And add me to the "Prepon is better as a redhead" club.)
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 02:05 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Don't you think, though, that that same logic would NEGATE going to the "original person" of the character to get tips?
Hmm, maybe. I hadn't thought of that. But the idea here was that the Natalie character was very "Method," feeling she had to experience the reality of a role in order to get into character. The reality is Beckett; the book's Nikki Heat is Castle's interpretation of her. The screenwriter's Nikki Heat is a different interpretation (although an interpretation of Castle's interpretation). So I can understand her wanting to experience the reality yet not be distracted by an additional fictional interpretation. Drawing on too many sources of inspiration could hamstring an actress, limit her ability to bring something fresh to a role.

But maybe you're right. Maybe her insistence on "Method" here, on learning to mimic the real Beckett, is a bad idea. After all, Heat isn't Beckett. She's presumably a more sensationalized, glamourized, sexualized version of Beckett. (I haven't read the book yet. Keep meaning to get it from the library.)

Hey, come to think of it, how the heck did Castle get hold of this actress's audition tape for the movie? Who in Hollywood bothers to keep the writer in the loop? Although I guess he's a big enough name that he could've gotten an Executive Consultant role or something.

Old January 10 2011, 10:15 AM   #114
Aragorn
Admiral

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 05:01 PM   #115
Buck Bokai
Lieutenant

View Buck Bokai's Twitter Profile

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I definitely grew to like Natalie more as the episode went on, and the scene where they're all "hiding from creepy Beckett" was great. I don't think we've seen Kate that flustered.
My wife and I both had to double-take at the beginning of that scene to make sure which "Beckett" was at the murder board.

Good episode all the way around!
Buck Bokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 07:17 PM   #116
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

ABC handed Castle a renewal for next season.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/abc-re...modern-family/
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 03:51 AM   #117
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
ABC handed Castle a renewal for next season.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/abc-re...modern-family/
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 04:13 AM   #118
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

Woot woot!!!!!! way to go!!!!!

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 05:28 AM   #119
Christopher
Writer

I'm glad the characters on this show are good at figuring things out. At 10:47 EST, once they'd established that the rich guy's plane had blown up and they were watching the footage of the catering truck driving up, it struck me: "He faked his own death." It was a story about magic and misdirection, so naturally nothing could be what it seemed. I was afraid this would be one of those cases where it took the characters until the end of the episode to catch up with me and I was yelling at them "He faked his own death!" over and over until they finally caught on. But instead, they figured it out by 10:49, less than two minutes later (though somewhat longer in-story, allowing for scene shifts).

I have to confess that I still don't really care that much about the characters other than the Castle family and Beckett, so the stuff lately about Ryan's and Esposito's love lives really isn't doing much for me, aside from the initial surprise reaction of seeing Espo and Lainie together.

Old January 11 2011, 06:34 AM   #120
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

ABC pulled a little "synergy" on it's Soap One Life To Live. ( a show Fillion used to appear on). A character in a bookstore picked ap a book by Castle looked at the author photo and asked another character if Castle didn't look familar.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote